Chicago base planned to open

Dignity

Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
another satellite base is planned to open later summer 2009!

apparently a third satellite base is planned to open late summer 2009 at ORD..(I know this will make some former ORD based Flight Attendants very happy)

while I understand S-SLC and S-ATL will eventually become absorbed into those two hubs...I hope they keep S-ORD or at least some type of base open at ORD, especially since we had a Flight Attendant base there for as long as I can remember prior to closing several years ago.

it appears patterns are projected to possibly originate/terminate at MDW as well..

I hope this planned satellite will be a success.

I wonder how an evening DL ORD-AMS would play out? instead of funneling passengers through MSP or DTW, in combination with the afternoon KL ORD-AMS could be another convenient option for the ORD traveler?

to me, offering a very high level service with a code share might work.. also when taking capacity cuts into consideration, pulling back on some international markets and maintaining or maybe adding an international flight to an international hub (at a large city such as Chicago), is not really losing flights in a capacity cut.. rather than simply utilizing some more possible potential.

competition is good, the consumer likes to weigh all their options (by having more options to consider)

and if a proposed Flight Attendant base is already established...there you go.

The route is already served by KLM & United. I believe KLM's service is on a 747 combi (part cargo, part passenger). Given that KLM is probably timed to grab as many connections as possible in AMS and United to do so in ORD, DL would likely have a hard time making a profit on this...what do they bring to the table that UA & KLM aren't serving? Given the state of the economy and how it has affected international travel, I don't see that as viable.

I think they most we will see of this kind of activity will be flights like RDU-CDG which DL announced but delayed due to the economy. In CDG they have connections from Air France they can grab since AF doesn't serve it.

The route is already served by KLM & United. I believe KLM's service is on a 747 combi (part cargo, part passenger).
I wonder how the cargo operation is doing lately? it seems many of the cargo routes are being pulled back, maybe substituting a combi for a 767? DL does have a partnership with AF/KL and it seems they have substituted aircraft from time to time in the past at NW..

Given that KLM is probably timed to grab as many connections as possible in AMS and United to do so in ORD, DL would likely have a hard time making a profit on this...what do they bring to the table that UA & KLM aren't serving?
it seems that DL and KL will probably code share a certain percentage of the Atlantic flights...so really KL and DL would be working as a team.. and of course it would be good to offer competition at ORD with UA simply for the fact it offers the locals more options.

Given the state of the economy and how it has affected international travel, I don't see that as viable.
maybe down the road? maybe due to the global economy a combi isnt the right aircraft on that route at this time, but then maybe it is? I dont have specifics on what works, just ideas that go across my mind from time to time..

I think they most we will see of this kind of activity will be flights like RDU-CDG which DL announced but delayed due to the economy. In CDG they have connections from Air France they can grab since AF doesn't serve it.
I feel RDU and such routing to international hubs are good ideas, but then I think there may be some potential in other major metropolian cities that should be considered..too..

I think competition is a good thing, as it gives the consumer more choices.

I wonder how an evening DL ORD-AMS would play out? instead of funneling passengers through MSP or DTW, in combination with the afternoon KL ORD-AMS could be another convenient option for the ORD traveler?

I know you're thinking out loud, but my guess is that it'd never happen, especially in light of today's JV announcement.

That aside, opening of the ORD base is a good thing! If they could get everything on the ground ops side sorted out, that'd be even better. :up:

I know you're thinking out loud, but my guess is that it'd never happen, especially in light of today's JV announcement.
probably.. :)

That aside, opening of the ORD base is a good thing!

who really knows what this new proposed base will fly? (they havent gotten into any details yet)

why dont they just restart ORD-NRT or do something...(ok maybe that is a wish list item..) I mean for goodness sakes the competition is having no problems setting up shop at former NW hubs.

to me, ORD just seems to have so much potential..

If they could get everything on the ground ops side sorted out, that'd be even better.

they have some very good people on the ground at this time (NW) , I know that for a fact as I travel around the system domestically for the most part and see it... any idea to shift any more work.. would only be to probably save a buck, that would not play out well in the long run.

they have some very good people on the ground at this time (NW) , I know that for a fact as I travel around the system domestically for the most part and see it... any idea to shift any more work.. would only be to probably save a buck, that would not play out well in the long run.

Exactly.

The seem to be doing a sort of labor cha cha.

One step forward re-opening these stations for former DL employees

Two steps back: retaining the vendors

well it appears the ORD base will open in August 2009..

(and a few I have spoken with are thrilled..regarding the good news of their former base re-opening)

well it appears the ORD base will open in August 2009..

(and a few I have spoken with are thrilled..regarding the good news of their former base re-opening)

I am confused, I thought that we already had a satellite base in ORD ?

I am confused
I do not think you are..

(a base is opening, or in this case, reopening)

to my understanding nearly 25 years ago DL operated a very small hub at ORD, serving a dozen or so, non stop destinations from the DL Flight Center...opening in the summer of 1984 and also maintained a Flight Attendant base in ORD..until, the early 1990s.

The planned ORD base opening in the summer of 2009 is projected to be temporary for pre-merger NW until both operations are consolidated (or for however long it is determined to be necessary).. I hope will be long term.

ORD is being labeled 'temporary', unlike the transfers into NYC that are currently being processed that are labeled 'permanent'.

I thought that we already had a satellite base in ORD ?

I was not aware that pre-merger DL maintained a current Flight Attendant base at ORD..? but had one in the past.

There are MANY commuters from ORD.
there are a lot of ORD commuters indeed.

to my understanding, the satellite will be roughly the size it was prior to closing.. a few years ago at pre-merger NW.. which will be less than one hundred..(or at least that was the range)

depending on what type of flying is available for bid will determine if some continue to commute.

many will follow International but of course many would probably be happy as well being based at home.. without having to endure a commute and associated personal costs involved.

it will be very interesting to see the bidding analysis of trips when it is available..