Chicago Teachers Want a 30% Pay Increase Over Next 2 Years!

southwind

Veteran
Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Chicago Teachers Want a 30% Pay Increase Over Next 2 Years !

“We are not negotiating this in the public,” said union President Karen Lewis.
The proposal also calls for reducing elementary school class sizes from 28 to 23 students and shrinking class sizes in the upper grade levels from about 31 students to 23."
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/02/chicago-teachers-want-30-raises-over-next-2-years/

In other words, even though the public provides the funds for our paychecks, we will not not discuss it with them.

Lets do some simple 'rithmatic: 31 to 23 students + 30% raise = Less work, more pay !

"The average Chicago teacher makes $76,450, nearly 30% more than the typical private sector worker in Cook County—and teachers work two months less a year."

"Teachers can retire at age 60 with an annuity equal to 75% of their highest average salary, meaning that teachers earn more in retirement than most Chicagoans do on the job. "
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303830204577446523049315132.html

It will be very interesting to see how this all falls out , since Scott Walker told the unions where to stick it but, then you have Union suck ups embedded in Chicago government !

Reactions: 4 people
Only in the bizarro world we're now in would someone rail against educators wanting to deliver a better product (and yeah, they should be held accountable for the results).

Smaller classes deliver better results for students.

You clearly did not grow up in an overcrowded school...

Reactions: 3 people
I don't have a problem with the smaller class sizes, but 30% raises?... Sorry, the pie is only so big. Something has to give.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it a literal (as in monetary) increase, is Southwind using the per-kid formula he noted earlier, or a combo of both?

I suspect it's a little of both, since they were asking for a smaller increase than that in base rates in exchange for Emmanuel's decision to lengthen the school day.

BTW, the link cited is from Feb. Anyone know how this turned out?

There is absolutely no correllation between Salaries and student performance. This link takes you to a lengthy study.

http://247wallst.com/2011/02/26/the-ten-states-that-pay-teachers-the-most-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/4/

One of the interesting items is that South Dakota spends the least on Salaries and delivers performance in the top 20 on all measurables, while New york paying the highest is only in the top 20 60% of the tim. Often they fall into the bottom 20,

Given IL's budget woes and underfunded pension liabilities, the request for a raise of that magnitude just shows how out of touch some unions are.

There is absolutely no correllation between Salaries and student performance. This link takes you to a lengthy study.

Maybe, maybe not, but there *is* a general correllation between class size and achievement.

One of the interesting items is that South Dakota spends the least on Salaries and delivers performance in the top 20 on all measurables, while New york paying the highest is only in the top 20 60% of the tim. Often they fall into the bottom 20,

Not disagreeing out of hand, but I do wonder how much the cost of living plays into all that?

Given IL's budget woes and underfunded pension liabilities, the request for a raise of that magnitude just shows how out of touch some unions are.

Depends on what they're *actually* asking for. Is it a straight up raise for nothing in return, or is it an increase to commensurate with the longer hours they're being asked to work?

You know Kev,

I do the Corporate Training gig so I too am an educator and rest assured I'm NOT getting a 30% raise. Let these crybaby teachers work my week for my salary and they'll never ask for a raise again. A typical week would be.

Sunday Evenng: Pack for travel, bring Instructors guide, hand outs, props (if needed) Make sure all students are in the LMS and have taken the on line course. Time = 2 hours,

Monday: Awake at 03:30 get dressed eat (or not) breakfast, Drive 88 Miles to PHL for a 5:55 flight PHL-DFW. Arrive late, pick up rental car and drive 65 miles to the dealer. Met with Dealer Principle & Sales Director. Set up class room for the following day. Drive to hotel, check in. Check both e-mail and voice mail. return phone calls until 6:00PM, Get dinner, return to room flip on the channel with the Law & Order Reruns while responding only to critical e-mails. 10:00PM crash into a deep sleep

Tuesday: Answer 6:00AM Wake up call, jump in shower get dressed and grab the buffet breakfast. Arrive at dealer 7:30AM, Connect laptop and make final preparations for class. Any "free" time reply to e-mails. 8:00AM - 8:30AM great students, Start introductions and expectations. Noon: Grab 2 semi warm slices of Pizza and respond to e-mails while the student get an hour lunch

Wednesday: Repeat Tuesday and add packing because guess what? You have an evening flight to CLT and guess what? It's delayed for 1.5 hours so you now arrive at 10:00PM Drive to hotel, check in. and take an hour to answer e-mail while wolfing down some fast food slop you bought on the way to the hotel. by the time you get to bed it's midnight.

Thursday: You're up at 5:30 today so you can get to the dealer by 7:00AM and quickly set up the room. Talk to the Sales Director and back class off until 9:00AM. , Connect laptop and make final preparations for class. Any "free" time reply to e-mails. 9:00AM - great students, Start introductions and expectations. Noon: Grab 2 semi warm slices of Pizza and respond to e-mails while the student get an hour lunch. Drive to hotel, check in. Check both e-mail and voice mail. return phone calls until 6:00PM, Get dinner, return to room flip on the channel with the Law & Order Reruns while responding only to critical e-mails. 10:00PM crash into a deep sleep

Friday: Short class day so you do what you did before. Pack and set up for and conduct class until 3:00PM. Drive to airport, return rental car and pass through security. At least you'll be in F because your upgrade cleared and it's a non stop flight which for once leaves on time. Only to arrive to PHL early and you sit on board for 15 minutes waiting for a gate to be cleared. Almost done except for the 88 mile drive home.9PM finally home. God I love my job.

So cry me a freakin' river IL Teachers.

Only in the bizarro world we're now in would someone rail against educators wanting to deliver a better product (and yeah, they should be held accountable for the results).

Smaller classes deliver better results for students.

You clearly did not grow up in an overcrowded school...

I'm all for smaller classes, just not for smaller classes + higher pay................especially 30% !

And stop acting like this is all for the benefit of the 'lil chiden !

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts