Chs Rampers Last Day

smallstFSA

Advanced
Dec 22, 2002
Today was the CHS rampers last day. With a schedule change and a maintenance problem we were too busy to think about it until the last hour. Everyone walked the last mainline departure out and pictures taken on the #2 eng side. I know the psgs had to wonder what was going on, as we started to walk off I turned around to wave at the f/o and so did everyone else, he saluted us several times, it was a wonderful moment and I had to walk by myself to get it together. We all walked out together, stopped at airport operations and turned our badges in. It was a good thing that we decided to go for a cold one together or the good byes in the parking lot would have been too much. As sad as today was for the rampers, customer service felt it just as much, we have always been a tight group whether CWA or IAM, it just goes back to the Piedmont days when we took turns doing everything.

On tuesday I start a new career at FedEx, after 26 years with PI/U its going to be difficult and exciting at the same time. My thoughts are with those that stay behind, this company has caused me a lot of stress but they were the best years of my life. The highlight was a May in 1981 when I met a very attractive f/a in ORD while working the gate, we've been married for 22 yrs. Its been a great ride, I will not miss U the corporation but my fellow employees including the crews and dispatchers. To all the best of luck.

JR

Small.....

You, your friends/co-workers will be missed more then anyone can say. Stations like CHS, DEN, ILM, RIC, etc... have always been the best of the best. You could always count on them to do the fastest/safest turns and truely know what team work is all about.

Best of luck to you on your future endeavors.....may you find peace and happiness. Fed Ex is lucky to have you.....our loss is their gain.

I understand today is also the last day for the follks on the ramp in DTW too.

IAD and SAN were farmed out on the 2nd of May.

How very sad...... :( :down:

You guys in CHS are the best. I remember a during a Dornier turn one CHS ramp adgent, by himself, unloaded all the bags, did a lav service, loaded all the outgoing bags, and filed out the OF11E all in less than a half hour.

It was always a pleasure flying to CHS.

Good Luck.

My best to each and everyone of you fine fellow usair/pi folks in chs. good luck to you all. abe is finished as of end of day june 5th. piedmont airlines is taking over on 6th of june--for 10.66 an hr for experienced employees.

smallstFSA said:
Today was the CHS rampers last day. With a schedule change and a maintenance problem we were too busy to think about it until the last hour. Everyone walked the last mainline departure out and pictures taken on the #2 eng side. I know the psgs had to wonder what was going on, as we started to walk off I turned around to wave at the f/o and so did everyone else, he saluted us several times, it was a wonderful moment and I had to walk by myself to get it together. We all walked out together, stopped at airport operations and turned our badges in. It was a good thing that we decided to go for a cold one together or the good byes in the parking lot would have been too much. As sad as today was for the rampers, customer service felt it just as much, we have always been a tight group whether CWA or IAM, it just goes back to the Piedmont days when we took turns doing everything.

On tuesday I start a new career at FedEx, after 26 years with PI/U its going to be difficult and exciting at the same time. My thoughts are with those that stay behind, this company has caused me a lot of stress but they were the best years of my life. The highlight was a May in 1981 when I met a very attractive f/a in ORD while working the gate, we've been married for 22 yrs. Its been a great ride, I will not miss U the corporation but my fellow employees including the crews and dispatchers. To all the best of luck.

JR
[post="267573"][/post]​
Hey guys, we will miss you! You always knew an organized, coordinated, knowledgeable and friendly group of people were working the turn. Great post. Good luck to all of you! :D

To my Brothers in CHS, I am sorry to see you go.

I can remember the good ole PI days when we flew EWR-CHS Non-Stop. The flights would be packed. I mainly remember the Money Shipments in the Cargo Bins that connected with the Military Transport so the U.S. could pay for the use of the Panama Cannal as well as our Military Personel in CASH. Imagine shipping 2500lbs of Cash.............

The folks in CHS are simply the best. Treated we affiliates with class.

I vividly remember last year when we brought the plane down from DCA and one of the female rampers let out a yowl and out she came from the cargo hold. Turns out we had two or three Cicadas buzzing around in there and it freaked her out...she had never seen one before. All of us had a great laugh.

Will miss them...and the mini grocery store in ops that always satisfied the late evening munchies!

I hope some of y'all hang around for a bit in CHS,especially my ol' bud "slingblade".I will miss the ops snack bar as well.

FrankWasRight said:
I hope some of y'all hang around for a bit in CHS,especially my ol' bud "slingblade".I will miss the ops snack bar as well.
[post="267785"][/post]​

I was in there today for a turn - the first thing I did after setting the parking brake was to run for that snake bar! Unfortunately, the gentleman that ran that wonderful operations was no where to be found.

As for the new operation - I will reserve judgement - but I will say that we were lucky that they still had some old hands around.

Thanks guys! :)

Be Proud! You and your fellow brethren did a GREAT JOB! Good Luck at FedEx! :up: Its going to be difficult getting used to having all major holidays off ;)

From a PSA pilot:

CHS was truely one of the best, if not the best mainline station in the system. Friendly, professional, and a hardworking bunch of guys and gals. They treated everyone with respect, even a poor old express guy like myself. Sometimes I felt that I was a mainline pilot. Thanks guys for all your years and hardwork. FedEx will treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

Thanks,
WOJetDreamer

DTW was one of the worst as far as attitude goes. Not sad about seeing those guys gone. Bad Bad.

DTW rampers last day was fri or sat last week.
Cle rampers last day is upcoming,,the 22nd...

Guys are all pissey toward each other..NOT THE WAY TO BE....

Give them a call and wish them luck...

I want to thank everyone for the nice responses. If this thread is still alive in a few days, I would like to do a little pineybob type thing about first few days in a new job. Of course it'll have to be all positive. Thanks again.

Latest posts