Citgo Flags at Half Mast

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
Bought my last gas from any Citgo company.

Out of respect for President Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan-owned oil refinery Citgo flew its flags at half staff outside its Houston and Lake Charles, La., offices Wednesday, sparking outcry from drivers passing by.
In Houston, the flags at the refinery were lowered to half staff as late as this afternoon, and caused a number of people to look twice as they drove by. James Post, an assistant project manager at an engineering and construction firm in Harris County, told FoxNews.com the sight was "jarring" and "deeply disappointing."

If you drove by CITGO’s corporate headquarters yesterday you would have seen what many consider a disturbing sight.
Many Houstonians are up in arms after driving by CITGO's Eldridge Parkway headquarters and noticing the U.S., Texas and Venezuelan flags being flown at half staff, and you let your feeling show on Matt Patrick's afternoon show.
“I gave them a call, and the operator told me that it was in observance and respect of the death of Hugo Chavez,” Teddy told Matt Patrick on his afternoon show on The 9-5-0 yesterday.
Teddy wasn’t satisfied with the company’s explanation.
“I told the person that answered the phone that if she had a problem with raising the flag back up that I could come down and do it for her,” he said.
And it wasn't just at the corporate headquarters. Flags were at half staff at a refinery in Corpus Christi as well.
A caller named ‘Doc’ told Patrick, “I called their facilities manager and led a march of about 800 patriots from one of my Facebook pages.”
Doc also said he would head down to the corporate headquarters and take matters into his own hands if necessary.
“I’m ready to go down there. Eldridge isn’t far from my house. I’ll either remove the flag or I will put it at full mast,” he stated.
CITGO, a Venezuelan owned company, released a statement explaining why the flags were lowered, confirming it was to honor Chavez, who died on Tuesday from cancer.
The flag may only be lowered for the death of foreign dignitaries if indicated in Presidential instructions.
Click here for video by KTRH television partner KPRC Local 2.

I'm kind of OK with this actually. The company is owned by his country. Freedom of expression is an American Ideal so no harm no foul.

When Hmong General Vang Pao passed the flags were lowered out of respect to the large Hmong population in the Twin Cities The Hmong who risked their lives for freedom are a real success story. Who ever thought white bread MN ad WI would welcome the Hmong with open arms as they have? So much for racist Middle America.

Hugo Chavez was a complex man and who knows what fueled him? I'm no fan but no one deserves to die of Cancer at 58

Reactions: 1 person
What if they drop their price to $2.50 per gallon

I can afford $10 a gallon.....and you?

_44314747_litvinenko2_getty203b.jpg

This is from USflag.org

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

The President did not order the flags to be flown at half mast and while I agree with Sparrow that Citgo is free to do as they choose I think lowering the US flag for a foreign head of state that has not spoken very highly of the US or it's leaders is wrong. If Citgo wished to fly the Venezuelan flag at half mast I see no issue with that, but not the US flag.

This is from USflag.org

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

The President did not order the flags to be flown at half mast and while I agree with Sparrow that Citgo is free to do as they choose I think lowering the US flag for a foreign head of state that has not spoken very highly of the US or it's leaders is wrong. If Citgo wished to fly the Venezuelan flag at half mast I see no issue with that, but not the US flag.

You miss this:

noticing the U.S., Texas and Venezuelan flags being flown at half staff,

Screw him and his gas.....he's the one who nationalized their petrol industry.

Texas flag at halfmast for a stooge dignitary should be grounds for a military assault.