Cleaning the A/C

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
I just read the article on Jetnet about how we are cleaning the engines to improve fuel consumption. Do you suppose there is any chance that the dirt in the carpets and seat cushions will be removed also? That much weight reduction is bound to be a cost saving.

I just read the article on Jetnet about how we are cleaning the engines to improve fuel consumption. Do you suppose there is any chance that the dirt in the carpets and seat cushions will be removed also? That much weight reduction is bound to be a cost saving.

I heard that AA would love to have that happen, just as soon as the F/A's agree to do the job for no extra pay.

I heard that AA would love to have that happen, just as soon as the F/A's agree to do the job for no extra pay.

Oh, well. You just KNOW that's going to happen.

"Attention all f/as. The Cabin Appearance CEL had a final meeting one day last week. Unfortunately, it was a day when none of the flight attendant members of the CEL could attend. It was decided that if a f/a is working the last flight of the day on an a/c, they will now shampoo the cabin carpet and take all the seat cushion covers to a local coin-operated laundry before going home or to the layover hotel. This work may NOT begin until all passengers have deplaned; however, if the work begins during the 15 minute post-flight debrief period, the f/a will still be paid the normal expense money of $1.50/hr until the end of the debrief period. Thank you for all you do." :lol:

"Attention all f/as. The Cabin Appearance CEL had a final meeting one day last week. Unfortunately, it was a day when none of the flight attendant members of the CEL could attend. It was decided that if a f/a is working the last flight of the day on an a/c, they will now shampoo the cabin carpet and take all the seat cushion covers to a local coin-operated laundry before going home or to the layover hotel. This work may NOT begin until all passengers have deplaned; however, if the work begins during the 15 minute post-flight debrief period, the f/a will still be paid the normal expense money of $1.50/hr until the end of the debrief period. Thank you for all you do." :lol:

LOL!!! I can just see the HI6 message... Jim, you just gave the Company too much information. I know one of the negotiators and he would probably suggest something like this..lol

Overnight cleaning of of the aircraft was outsourced to the lowest bidder, so you get what you pay for. The few remaining title 2 cabin cleaners have starting wages of $6.82 an hour and top out at a whopping $8.25 an hour. But look on the bright side, they get a raise this month when mininum wage goes up, but their union dues will also go up. :shock:

What you should be asking is where are the 2,000 cleaners that work days and afternoon shift per the companies sworn statements before the NMB during the M&R representational election. According to the company they have about 5 twu cabin cleaners per a gate at every station, and Miami has about 10 per gate. <_<

I don't want to see anything regarding f/a's cleaning a/c's in the next contract! Its not my job to clean the a/c. If I wanted that job, I would have become a cleaner.

I don't want to see anything regarding f/a's cleaning a/c's in the next contract! Its not my job to clean the a/c. If I wanted that job, I would have become a cleaner.
Attitudes like this is why I always envy the Southwest employees when I fly on them......as the pax are deplaning, the flight attendants are behind the pax cleaning the vacant rows, then when the ground grew gets on board, they jump in and help the f/a's.....all to get the a/c turned around ASAP....
There is none of this....."not my job" bs.....or "if I wanted THAT job"......

That is a terrible attitude to have.....or is it just laziness.....surely you do not think you are ABOVE that type of work???>...

Attitudes like this is why I always envy the Southwest employees when I fly on them......as the pax are deplaning, the flight attendants are behind the pax cleaning the vacant rows, then when the ground grew gets on board, they jump in and help the f/a's.....all to get the a/c turned around ASAP....
There is none of this....."not my job" bs.....or "if I wanted THAT job"......

That is a terrible attitude to have.....or is it just laziness.....surely you do not think you are ABOVE that type of work???>...

I think everyone, including the flight crew should help clean the air craft on a lay over, turn around. Just think with 5 for 6 people going down that asile of a 737, it would not take long and the aircraft would look great for the customers getting ready to board. We all need to have a little more pride in our work and show it to our customers so that they will come back. Afterall, they are the ones that are paying our wages, arn't they?

I think everyone, including the flight crew should help clean the air craft on a lay over, turn around. Just think with 5 for 6 people going down that asile of a 737, it would not take long and the aircraft would look great for the customers getting ready to board. We all need to have a little more pride in our work and show it to our customers so that they will come back. Afterall, they are the ones that are paying our wages, arn't they?

It isn't a matter of laziness, it is a matter of SCOPE. I don't ask ground personnel, ramp, mechanics et al to perform in flight or f/a duties, nor should a f/a perform duties outside the SCOPE of their profession. F/as should not be "plucking" tickets, hauling bags, nor cleaning aircraft. When I arrive at my "office", to begin my "shift", all components should be in place.

I remember walking onto a 1011 one early morning (the plane had been at the gate all night). It was filthy and the ramp cleaners tried to pull the team work card. What often starts off as "make nice", "I'll help out this time", too often becomes expected procedure. Jobs are cut, the product suffers and the customers get the raw end of the deal.

In management meetings I asked where the decision had come to cut the cleaners. We went around the room (all depts were present) and it was discovered that the suggestion had come from ENGINEERING. Now no offense to engineers, BUT I can't think of a mind set less concerned about customer ammenities than an engineer..lol Sometimes these decisions are made without seeing the impact on the entire system.

It isn't a matter of laziness, it is a matter of SCOPE. I don't ask ground personnel, ramp, mechanics et al to perform in flight or f/a duties, nor should a f/a perform duties outside the SCOPE of their profession. F/as should not be "plucking" tickets, hauling bags, nor cleaning aircraft. When I arrive at my "office", to begin my "shift", all components should be in place.

I remember walking onto a 1011 one early morning (the plane had been at the gate all night). It was filthy and the ramp cleaners tried to pull the team work card. What often starts off as "make nice", "I'll help out this time", too often becomes expected procedure. Jobs are cut, the product suffers and the customers get the raw end of the deal.

In management meetings I asked where the decision had come to cut the cleaners. We went around the room (all depts were present) and it was discovered that the suggestion had come from ENGINEERING. Now no offense to engineers, BUT I can't think of a mind set less concerned about customer ammenities than an engineer..lol Sometimes these decisions are made without seeing the impact on the entire system.

That is why the scope needs to be changed to allow it to be done. In todays world, a lot of things need to change inorder for an airlines to stay in business, and walking up and down a asile with a trash bag is not going to kill any one, be it a Flight deck crew, F/A. FSC, Gate Agent, cleaner. It could and would work so smooth and in just a few minutes if everyone would get this it isn't my job out of their little heads. Working together, WINS TOGETHER. Do something to make the higher up in the company proud of you once again and then you may get something in return. Really, it is pretty simple, but it will probably take a 2 week course in DFW to explain it to some.

That is why the scope needs to be changed to allow it to be done. In todays world, a lot of things need to change inorder for an airlines to stay in business, and walking up and down a asile with a trash bag is not going to kill any one, be it a Flight deck crew, F/A. FSC, Gate Agent, cleaner. It could and would work so smooth and in just a few minutes if everyone would get this it isn't my job out of their little heads. Working together, WINS TOGETHER. Do something to make the higher up in the company proud of you once again and then you may get something in return. Really, it is pretty simple, but it will probably take a 2 week course in DFW to explain it to some.

My pay stops when the cabin door opens. Senior management doesn't work for free and neither do I.

"Work together, Win together"?? Just another cheap empty slogan. We take a 25% pay cut and management gets 10s of million of dollars. If management wanted the culture to be different, it would be different. If they want a Southwest Airlines culture, they could have it, but then they'd have to pay and treat the employees with the same respect and conduct the airline with the same management skill and acumen as SWA.

The present corporate culture is what they want. The old truism still holds . . . . if you've got labor problems, you've got a management problem at the root of it.

My pay stops when the cabin door opens. Senior management doesn't work for free and neither do I.

And how often are you sitting at the end of a runway on ATC hold getting full pay for doing nothing but waiting for a clearance to take off?

And how often are you sitting at the end of a runway on ATC hold getting full pay for doing nothing but waiting for a clearance to take off?

Per federal and company regulations, the aircrew must monitor the radio, aircrafts systems, fuel status for safe completion of the flight, weather conditions and constantly evaulate these things to ensure the safety of the flight. I guess that means I'm really working.

But, by all means, put that in as a suggestion to save the company a little money. No pay for pilots while on ATC delays. Heck, expand that out to include half pay for cruise (opps, I mean half pay after the 25% pay cut from 2003). Make sure you put your name on it so you can get some reward money for such a valuable suggestion. Please info the APA. Things have been pretty grim lately. They could use a good laugh up at the union HQ.

(Deleted by Moderator. Please do not post personal attacks.)