CLT-GRU gone?

While it's possible that the employees at new AA who wrote the press release got it wrong, I think that's very unlikely.    CLT-GRU was the best that pmUS had (since it didn't have any better gateway to Brazil) but Brazillian O&D is centered on Miami, NYC and Orlando.   Charlotte?   Nope.

I expect that inventory will be zeroed out shortly and the flight removed over the weekend (the typical pattern).

Reactions: 1 person
FWAAA said:
While it's possible that the employees at new AA who wrote the press release got it wrong, I think that's very unlikely.    CLT-GRU was the best that pmUS had (since it didn't have any better gateway to Brazil) but Brazillian O&D is centered on Miami, NYC and Orlando.   Charlotte?   Nope.

I expect that inventory will be zeroed out shortly and the flight removed over the weekend (the typical pattern).

The press release is correct.  FWAAA is right on this one.  The CLT-GRU route does not make sense in the wake of the merger.  The A330 that served it will be put to much better use to Europe out of CLT and PHL in the wake of the 767 retirements.

Never thought that CLT- GRU/GIG would stay after the merger, but it sure was a good connection option, some cities will now require a double connection since MIA is lacking non stop service to just a tad few markets.

AirbusA310 said:
Never thought that CLT- GRU/GIG would stay after the merger, but it sure was a good connection option, some cities will now require a double connection since MIA is lacking non stop service to just a tad few markets.

I would expect, eventually, more direct flights from the Southeast to MIA...bypassing CLT.  I mean...there's already US employees at these stations...how tough would be to put a couple direct flights to MIA.

MIA is supposed to have 80 new domestic flights by summer next year....

Possibly all RJ's,  but more feed none the less...

maybe so but a random check shows 54 booked for a 10/13 CLT to GRU flight

Not having access to flow traffic info...nor intimate knowledge of the Southeast...I'm curious, which cities that do not already have MIA service, do you feel would be most in line to receive direct service to MIA allowing those customers to bypass CLT?

Follow on question.  Do you feel those direct flights would siphon enough flow paxs from CLT to impact that city's direct service to CLT?  Or would it just complement it? 

My opinion of course is that I see more South America flying out of MIA and less from CLT. But then I can see more Europe out of CLT while MIA is tapped out to Europe. More domestic feeds into CLT to support more Europe routes. This of course leaves a question about what to do with JFK on European destinations when CLT is flying to Europe as well. 
I know that JFK is a gateway city but how much traffic to similar destinations can you share to Europe and South America from JFK,CLT and MIA? And that is just the East coast. Then you have DFW and ORD to Europe as well.

1AA said:
My opinion of course is that I see more South America flying out of MIA and less from CLT. But then I can see more Europe out of CLT while MIA is tapped out to Europe. More domestic feeds into CLT to support more Europe routes. This of course leaves a question about what to do with JFK on European destinations when CLT is flying to Europe as well.

I know that JFK is a gateway city but how much traffic to similar destinations can you share to Europe and South America from JFK,CLT and MIA? And that is just the East coast. Then you have DFW and ORD to Europe as well.
Now that AA has announced the termination of both CLT-GIG and CLT-GRU, your first prediction has already become reality.   No flying to S America from CLT.   

More Europe from CLT and no more growth to Europe from MIA?   I disagree.   IMO, CLT is tapped out on growth to Europe (and then some).   Europeans actually want to fly to Miami - witness all the other European airlines that fly to Miami, and not to Charlotte.   LH has the lone flight to MUC, right?   Miami is an actual destination people want to visit, like Orlando, Las Vegas and San Francisco.   CLT is a great SE hub, but Charlotte isn't where anybody is hoping to visit.  IMO,  CLT keeps LHR, MAD and CDG (like all the existing AA hubs have) plus maybe a couple of seasonal summer Europe flights as well.   My prediction is that LH begins flying FRA-CLT, as the German business executives won't want to fly AA (they fly LH all over the world) and will want to fly LH to CLT (like they already to from MUC).   

People in NYC are much more likely to fly to Europe than people in any other major metro area in the US.   NYC is still the center of the universe for finance and international travel - look at all the foreign airlines flying to JFK.   AA has been hoarding slots in the prime-time late afternoon/early evening hours while it went thru Ch 11 to lower its costs.   Some of those slots were acquired from jetBlue several years ago and AA has still been using them for assorted Eagle flights to small towns and hub-hub departures that make no sense (like DFW and ORD).   There are more than a dozen place-holder flights to/from JFK that could be used for European departures.   The massive T-8 has never been fully utilized so there is plenty of gate space.   The O&D to/from Europe is orders of magnitude greater in NYC than in PHL or CLT.   IMO,  PHL will keep some flights to Europe like it has now and JFK will get more flights to Europe, especially to cities where the NYC O&D can fill the majority of the seats, and connections from SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, LAS and PHX can fill the rest.   JFK doesn't need 100 tiny RJ flights to help fill a few more flights to Europe.  IMO,  JFK and PHL can co-exist.   Some flights may move from PHL to JFK but I think that PHL keeps a decent schedule to Europe.   

AA is now the world's largest airline, and I think it can continue to fly to Europe from JFK, PHL, CLT, MIA, ORD, DFW and LAX.   Before the merger with US,  AA has long served Paris from CHI, JFK (two flights seasonally), DFW, MIA and BOS (seasonally).   That's the strength that comes from having hubs in the biggest cities.   

Reactions: 3 people
FWAA I pretty much agree with what youre saying with the exception of FRA going away from CLT
There are two flights at present and we as well be Fedex with the freight going on them. pax load factor is high as well so maybe they go away but it will surprise me.

Reactions: 2 people
cltrat said:
FWAA I pretty much agree with what youre saying with the exception of FRA going away from CLT
There are two flights at present and we as well be Fedex with the freight going on them. pax load factor is high as well so maybe they go away but it will surprise me.
Last month, my flights had 50,000-60,000# of cargo each way regularly. 

FWAAA said:
Now that AA has announced the termination of both CLT-GIG and CLT-GRU, your first prediction has already become reality.   No flying to S America from CLT.   

More Europe from CLT and no more growth to Europe from MIA?   I disagree.   IMO, CLT is tapped out on growth to Europe (and then some).   Europeans actually want to fly to Miami - witness all the other European airlines that fly to Miami, and not to Charlotte.   LH has the lone flight to MUC, right?   Miami is an actual destination people want to visit, like Orlando, Las Vegas and San Francisco.   CLT is a great SE hub, but Charlotte isn't where anybody is hoping to visit.  IMO,  CLT keeps LHR, MAD and CDG (like all the existing AA hubs have) plus maybe a couple of seasonal summer Europe flights as well.   My prediction is that LH begins flying FRA-CLT, as the German business executives won't want to fly AA (they fly LH all over the world) and will want to fly LH to CLT (like they already to from MUC).   
People in NYC are much more likely to fly to Europe than people in any other major metro area in the US.   NYC is still the center of the universe for finance and international travel - look at all the foreign airlines flying to JFK.   AA has been hoarding slots in the prime-time late afternoon/early evening hours while it went thru Ch 11 to lower its costs.   Some of those slots were acquired from jetBlue several years ago and AA has still been using them for assorted Eagle flights to small towns and hub-hub departures that make no sense (like DFW and ORD).   There are more than a dozen place-holder flights to/from JFK that could be used for European departures.   The massive T-8 has never been fully utilized so there is plenty of gate space.   The O&D to/from Europe is orders of magnitude greater in NYC than in PHL or CLT.   IMO,  PHL will keep some flights to Europe like it has now and JFK will get more flights to Europe, especially to cities where the NYC O&D can fill the majority of the seats, and connections from SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, LAS and PHX can fill the rest.   JFK doesn't need 100 tiny RJ flights to help fill a few more flights to Europe.  IMO,  JFK and PHL can co-exist.   Some flights may move from PHL to JFK but I think that PHL keeps a decent schedule to Europe.   

AA is now the world's largest airline, and I think it can continue to fly to Europe from JFK, PHL, CLT, MIA, ORD, DFW and LAX.   Before the merger with US,  AA has long served Paris from CHI, JFK (two flights seasonally), DFW, MIA and BOS (seasonally).   That's the strength that comes from having hubs in the biggest cities.
did you write that before or after you read AA's press release about winter season market reductions? You do realize it is heavily weighted to premerger AA markets.   You do realize that AA is not the largest int'l airline in either NYC or at ORD?

autofixer said:
Last month, my flights had 50,000-60,000# of cargo each way regularly.
do you also realize that based on earnings reports for the year to date that AA does not generate the US passenger industry's highest cargo revenues?

I'll keep you in suspense who does.