Co-worker Stereotypes

hharotz

Advanced
Aug 7, 2004
One of the things I love about working at US are some of the great people we work with day in and day out. Having worked across the system, I see that no matter where I work the same type of characters pop up again and again.

All in good fun, here’s a few stereotypes of the co-workers I’ve come across over my career. Let’s all try to add a few and keep the list going! (Names have been changed to protect the guilty and the innocent!) :D

Non-Rev Nick

Works on the ramp at a hub/focus city (usually PHL, DCA or LGA). Non-revs so often through your city that you wonder if he ever actually works. He just barely makes the coach dress code, know you by first name and tries to keep you talking about the bars in your city while the check-in line gets longer and longer. Always manages to get a seat on oversold flights.

OTP Peter

Will do anything to get the flight out ontime. Yells at passengers, crews and co-workers to hustle. When he is at the gate, flights always push at least 7 minutes early. He will infringe on another labor group’s CBA if that’s what it takes to dispatch ‘his’ flight on-time.

By The Book Bill

Has at least 30 years seniority yet is paranoid about being fired. He collects the standby fees on SSTs, makes photocopies of his work reports and will never use a waiver code. A CSS is always called over to complete any unusual transactions. Is paranoid that other agents are working under his sine.

Kiosk Kim

Usually one of the least senior CSAs in the station, yet is convinced that sending pax to kiosks will save her job. She will send 90 year olds, U.M.s and straight-backs to the kiosks. She blames failed kiosk check-ins on the passengers often scolding them aloud.

Smoking Suzie

30 something FA that always works coach galley on the 737-300. As soon as the last pax deplanes she runs down to Ops to sneak in a quick cigarette. She knows the jetway-door codes by heart in every station, and usually the rampers greet her by name. Her uniform was clearly altered to contour around her bosom and her hair always looks disheveled.

Write You Up Wanda

The most senior agent in the station. Wanda’s uniform is too tight and she occasionally mixes in some of the old USAir articles into the current uniform. Was a supervisor at one of the old carriers PSA/Allegheny or Piedmont. She will write you up for anything, not realizing that no one has cared about anything for years now. One minute late, she’ll write you up. Take too long to check in an international, she’ll write you up. Everyone hates her. :down:

A few more before bed....

DIALNET Diane

Whenever your line at the BSO or counter is out the door, the DIALNET rings and its Diane. You don’t know her, and you’re sure she is a really nice person, and you feel guilty telling her you don’t have the time to chat. She’s usually calling from a res center and has an obscure station related question or baggage issue, but she also wants the ‘dish; on what’s going on in your station. You’d love to chat, but just don’t have the time.

PACER Patty

Patty is still in denial about the SABRE switchover. She still uses her SABRE notes which amazes you because she was such a pro with PACER. She was out for a 3 month stress leave after SABRE switchover training. Every time she checks a passenger in, she mumbles aloud about how much better pacer was.

Edith from Eastern

Got a job at USAir the day Eastern shutdown. She still can’t believe it happened, and continues to reminisce about the gold ole days of L1011s and A300s.

Real Estate Randy

Usually a mainline CAPT/FO but sometimes a CSA. Tells everyone about his real estate business and hands out cards to every one he meets on his trip. Randy feels superior that he is protected with another job if the company flops.

Silver Preferred Merv

Merv usually flies between your station and LGA/FLL/PBI/PVD. He always wears gold chains and freaks out when there’s a twenty-minute delay. He only wants a seat in first. Whenever you look at his file you notice waiver codes from completely unrelated stations and $125 fares. He always asks for you to ‘do him a favor’….. :angry:

Elizabeth Express

At 18 left high school to become a flight attendant. She thinks MESA is US Airways…she sees no difference, it’s all the same to her. Gets giggly when an 18k/year MESA F/O asks her back to his hotel room. :lol:

Don't Look At Me L'toya

Works Terminal F gates in PHL. L'toya makes no boarding announcements just opens the jetway door. Huge braided hair and long intricately designed nails. Took the initiative to wear a gold chain belt and huge gold hoop earings to enhance the appearance of the uniform. Has a group of guys from the express ramp come to the podium to pull tickets and 'on' for her and then has them drive her to McDonald's in A-West. Refuses to look pax in the eyes and only answers with 'mmmmmhmmm' or 'oh no you're not'. Grown men and women fear her. Oversales and delays are not pretty when L’toya is working your gate.

Displacement Dan

In his late forties, overweight and has been displaced seven times within the last five years. He's convinced that USAir is going to support him for the rest of his life and is convinced that "the airlines" will restore their pension plans before it's time for him to retire. He has no friends since he lives for the company. He picks up extra shifts at straight time from part-timers on Christmas/New Years/4th of July because he has nowhere else to go.

Straight-Back Steve

Always assisting disabled passengers. Walks away from his workstation to push wheelchairs. He has been written up by management for proactively offering wheelchair assistance. He scans the SS list for every flight inbound/outbound hoping to find a straight-back to assist.

Sky-Cap Charlie

When Charlie appears with a mountain of luggage and a family of fifteen he always expects you to let his pax jump to the front of the line. For his outstanding service he's always rewarded with at least a twenty and you're stuck with either a misconnect/reissue or LTA for half an hour.

Special Services Stan

Stan bids only Special Services. He sits reading his USA Today all morning only to take his lunch and breaks when the first bank of flights arrives. By the time the second bank of flights come in he is gone home on VTO.

Very good hharotz. Do hope that someone from the ramp and maintenance adds to the list. I have been out 3 years but can picture quite a few stereotypes from those fields.
I am sure many readers got a "kick" out of this. Again thanks for the humor. We all need it at times. :D

And, don't forget Family Leave Fran. . . She works in res, works when she feels like it, and more importantly, leaves when she feels lilke it. She has all kinds of unverifiable aches and pains, backaches, migraines, fibromayalgia.

hharotz said:
A few more before bed....
PACER Patty

Patty is still in denial about the SABRE switchover. She still uses her SABRE notes which amazes you because she was such a pro with PACER. She was out for a 3 month stress leave after SABRE switchover training. Every time she checks a passenger in, she mumbles aloud about how much better pacer was.

[post="265369"][/post]​
Just for the record:
The issue is that some were rewarded so richly for taking a really efficient system from us and giving us the quagmire/POS called Sabre. Just one more in string of blunders.

LOL.....too funny......

How about Frantic Freddy? Can only handle one problem at a time and multi-tasking isn't his strong suit. Everytime there is more then one problem, he has no idea how to prioritize. Suddenly the phone is flying, the mouth is going, arms are flailing about creating a scene. By the time he is done ranting and raving, someone else has solved the problem.

or

Chronic Carl who insists on sharing every intimate detail of all his ailments with anyone that will listen. Discussion range from how he nearly died of a stubbed toe in 2nd grade to some puss filled pimple on his backside. Carl has been ot the Dr. so many times, he can diagnose your ailments based on his past experiences. Name any ailment and he has had it.

or

Klepto Karen who is the Fridge Phantom. Everyone's lunch always looks much better then hers, so she just sorta helps herself to anything. When Frantic Freddy starts to go bullistic because someone ate his leftover meatloaf, Karen is always the one smiling in the corner and egging him on. Klepto Karen has even built up a tollerence to Exlax Brownies, so you will never catch her "running" to the rest room.

or

Good Ol' Wendy Whiner. she answers the phone with the same exasperated tone. "It's a great day here at US Airways - How may I help you?" Of course she sounds like Eeore. Every request is met with the same huff, puff, sigh and disgust. Everything is an effort and nothing makes her happy.

or

Chris the Clean Freak. Has to start every shift with a thorough scrub down of his entire cubicle or work station. It takes the first 30 minutes of his shift to get his station in order. then on go the rubber gloves before he touches anyone's ticket. God help you if you go over and shake hands with him. He will get this deer in the headlights look on his face and run to the restroom to wash his hands for 20 minutes to make sure he wasn't in contact with any germs.

or

Bossy Bob. Thinks he knows everything and knows absolutely nothing. You know the type...makes all these horrible decisions - falls on his face constantly - yet always seems to get promoted. Costs the company more then he saves. He is always stomping around the office or station "delegating" responsibilibty and demanding respect. Once he turns his back, fingers fly and eyes roll. :rolleyes:

or

Flip-Flop Francine. You know the type. No matter who she talks to about an issue, she always agrees with what you say. Very easily swayed and very strong opinions that change with the wind. Always acts like she is taking a stand on an issue, but will cross the line to the other side in about 2 sentences.

This is fun! LOL

Out-of-touch Oscar. He has worked in an office so long, he forgot what it is like to be on the front line. (sounds like PineyBobs MPA) Always sets unrealistic expectations and follows that up with phrases like, "Well when I worked on the ramp, we didn't have belt loaders. We used to have to load everything by hand," Well that worked with the BAC 111 and the DC9, but Oscar, have you tried that with a B757? Or phrases like, "When I worked at the station we always........yadda yadda yadda." Of course that was 20+ years ago and the industry was still regulated.

Deaf Denny 25+ years as a Mechanic. Probably ex-Eastern or Trump. Yells at you when having a normal conversation cause he is deaf from 25+ years on the line.

:D

Borrowing Tom: Everytime you go with him to fix a A/C. He forgets to take his tools with him and guess who's tools he uses?

Backache Sam: Time to lift a wheel on the A/C axle and your partner "Backache Sam" says" Oh, my back is sore, I will go and get someone to help you lift it" and he never comes back . And neither does anybody else.

Never Too Late Fred: Just as you finish closing up some work on the outside of the A/C in 0-15 degree weather and snowing. Never Too Late Fred comes out from a warm office and says " need a hand"?

Lover Boy Al: Time to push a A/C off the gate and guess where Lover Boy Al is? Trying to put the make on a CSA in the terminal. And forgetting he had a A/C push.

Gee, this is fun. I am sure the pilots have some good ones also !

Safety Nazi Nancy

A F/A who doesn't let anyone -- passenger or fellow crew -- do anything because it is a "safety violation" and "against FAA regs." Hands out laminated wallet-sized cards in briefings with the FAA "Interference with Crewmembers" language and wants everyone else to whip it out and read it out loud if a passenger dares not comply with her crazy rules (yes I have seen this happen).

Wanna use the FC lav? Nope; FAA regs say Y passengers have to use the Y lavs.

Can you help me with my bag? Nope; safety violation; I might hurt my back and worker's comp won't cover me.

Can I trade seats with someone? Nope; security violation; we have to know where everyone is sitting according to their boarding passes.

(BTW none of the above are true, but I have seen / heard them all ...)

Procedures Patty Patty is Focus the queen, and everything goes by the book. Shes always willing to lend a hand and help out when not invited. She knows the help desk number by heart, and thinks that every passenger is a liar. She is often sending lotus notes notes to procedures to get "calrification" on a issues such as ticket validity, ADA questions, and codeshare problems. On her days off you can bet shes at home exploring "the hub".

Ostrich Ann Ann can never realize that we may go out of business, and thinks that all good companies use the bankruptcy courts to fix their minor problems. She always has a opinion on the current industry climate but never pulls her head out of the sand. Most likley she is came to US Air from during our courtship with BA and thinks that America West will keep us all on board at our current rates of pay.

Dark Cloud said:
:D

Borrowing Tom: Everytime you go with him to fix a A/C. He forgets to take his tools with him and guess who's tools he uses?
Backache Sam: Time to lift a wheel on the A/C axle and your partner "Backache Sam" says" Oh, my back is sore, I will go and get someone to help you lift it" and he never comes back . And neither does anybody else.
Never Too Late Fred: Just as you finish closing up some work on the outside of the A/C in 0-15 degree weather and snowing. Never Too Late Fred comes out from a warm office and says " need a hand"?
Lover Boy Al: Time to push a A/C off the gate and guess where Lover Boy Al is? Trying to put the make on a CSA in the terminal. And forgetting he had a A/C push.

Gee, this is fun. I am sure the pilots have some good ones also !
[post="265463"][/post]​

gee dark cloud, i hope none of these are me! LOL

how about:

Done that a thousand times Dan:
The supervisor who tells you it only takes and hour to rebuild that gear or 5 minutes to do that checkout. He knows..he's done it a thousand times!

Everyone else around here is useless Jim:
sits in judgement of every other work group as he sits on his butt, whines, and does little or no work as his co-workers pick up the slack!

Bear96 said:
Safety Nazi Nancy

A F/A who doesn't let anyone -- passenger or fellow crew -- do anything because it is a "safety violation" and "against FAA regs." Hands out laminated wallet-sized cards in briefings with the FAA "Interference with Crewmembers" language and wants everyone else to whip it out and read it out loud if a passenger dares not comply with her crazy rules (yes I have seen this happen).

Wanna use the FC lav? Nope; FAA regs say Y passengers have to use the Y lavs.

Can you help me with my bag? Nope; safety violation; I might hurt my back and worker's comp won't cover me.

Can I trade seats with someone? Nope; security violation; we have to know where everyone is sitting according to their boarding passes.

(BTW none of the above are true, but I have seen / heard them all ...)
[post="265465"][/post]​

This is a real person!!!! And her name is Nancy!! :)

Latest posts