Cobra Extension for another two months

SurelyYouJest

Mar 22, 2010
Anybody with any suggestions/solutions?
After being advised that Cobra benefits for those receiving PBGC would be ending as of 12/31/10 (so much for the "lifetime" benefit) my wife and I had no choice but to change to the NC pool health insurance plan - a far inferior choice compared to BC/BS. Today we get a letter advising that COBRA has been extend until 2/28. As luck would have it, I had a serious healthcare adventure on 1/4 and now face a $5000 deductible from the new plan or have to figure out if I can get covered under the previous plan which, theoretically, is still in effect. If anyone has recently dealt with HR dept in this regard and has any insight, I would appreciate any info you might have. And, while I am searching for a number for the person who handles retiree benefits for the pilot group, if anybody has said phone number(s) would you be so kind as to pass it along.
Thanks.

I also would like any contact information about Cobra for retired pilots.

I went out, and bought a HCTC qualified plan (the coverage is inferior to Cobra) unaware that we can be covered until the end of February. Neither Conexis, nor USAirways has notified me about anything.

The dilemma I now face is this. Conexis says that I can pay for January and Feubruary....but if I don't, I'll be ineligible for any more Cobra IF Congress decides to grandfather us until age 65. Effectively, I'd be paying for double coverage on the chance that Cobra would be extended.....which would be a blessing.

In your case, I think you can slide into the 31 day grace period and be OK for coverage under COBRA.....

I also would like any contact information about Cobra for retired pilots.

I went out, and bought a HCTC qualified plan (the coverage is inferior to Cobra) unaware that we can be covered until the end of February. Neither Conexis, nor USAirways has notified me about anything.

The dilemma I now face is this. Conexis says that I can pay for January and Feubruary....but if I don't, I'll be ineligible for any more Cobra IF Congress decides to grandfather us until age 65. Effectively, I'd be paying for double coverage on the chance that Cobra would be extended.....which would be a blessing.

In your case, I think you can slide into the 31 day grace period and be OK for coverage under COBRA.....

Found out yesterday that this is only between us and Conexis, the company, and even the HCTC(IRS) are not involved. As you say - if you want to continue your COBRA, Conexis must be paid for Jan and Feb so that is what we will do. And in the meantime we will cancel or hold in abeyance the new HSA policy until at least Mar 1. What a mess! By waiting until the last minute to extend, Congress sure put a monkey wrench into the process.

Latest posts