Code-Share Updates

Nov 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
US Airways has filed for both U.S. Department of Transportation and foreign government approval to code-share with United on routes to Japan, Hong Kong, and Belgium, and additional routes to and from the Netherlands. The filings are part of our efforts to expand the US Airways/United relationship.
Meanwhile, in “wave twoâ€￾ of our code-share implementation with United, more flights and routes will be open for sale beginning Monday, although the actual flights do not launch until Jan. 28. As a result, Monday's milestone will primarily affect Reservations and travel agents, who will begin to see more US* flights in the system, mostly out of United’s Denver hub. Code-share segments out of United’s Chicago O’Hare hub will remain, and new code-share service to Tucson, Ariz., will be available from both hubs. United will also begin to offer more code-share flights via US Airways' Pittsburgh hub. â€￾Wave oneâ€￾ of the code-share agreement began on Jan 7. With these additions, there will be 276 US Airways code-share flights operated by United and 185 United code-share flights operated by US Airways.
Source: TheHub

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 6:41:06 PM Do_it_for_Dave wrote:

US Airways has filed for both U.S. Department of Transportation and foreign government approval to code-share with United on routes to Japan, Hong Kong, and Belgium, and additional routes to and from the Netherlands. The filings are part of our efforts to expand the US Airways/United relationship.

Meanwhile, in “wave two” of our code-share implementation with United, more flights and routes will be open for sale beginning Monday, although the actual flights do not launch until Jan. 28. As a result, Monday's milestone will primarily affect Reservations and travel agents, who will begin to see more US* flights in the system, mostly out of United’s Denver hub. Code-share segments out of United’s Chicago O’Hare hub will remain, and new code-share service to Tucson, Ariz., will be available from both hubs. United will also begin to offer more code-share flights via US Airways' Pittsburgh hub. ”Wave one” of the code-share agreement began on Jan 7. With these additions, there will be 276 US Airways code-share flights operated by United and 185 United code-share flights operated by US Airways.

Jusy out of curiosity, will any of this domestic codeshare result in saving agent jobs for either US or UA....will the carrier with the larger city presence work the others flights, an arraignment that HP/CO had in select stations?

More Codeshare Info Announced[BR][BR][A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030120/1207000526_1.html"]http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030120/1207000526_1.html[/A][BR][BR][A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030120/dcm013_1.html"]http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030120/dcm013_1.html[/A]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 6:56:57 PM gilbertguy wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 6:41:06 PM Do_it_for_Dave wrote:

Meanwhile, in “wave two” of our code-share implementation with United, more flights and routes will be open for sale beginning Monday, although the actual flights do not launch until Jan. 28. As a result, Monday's milestone will primarily affect Reservations and travel agents, who will begin to see more US* flights in the system, mostly out of United’s Denver hub. Code-share segments out of United’s Chicago O’Hare hub will remain, and new code-share service to Tucson, Ariz., will be available from both hubs. United will also begin to offer more code-share flights via US Airways' Pittsburgh hub. ”Wave one” of the code-share agreement began on Jan 7. With these additions, there will be 276 US Airways code-share flights operated by United and 185 United code-share flights operated by US Airways.

Jusy out of curiosity, will any of this domestic codeshare result in saving agent jobs for either US or UA....will the carrier with the larger city presence work the others flights, an arraignment that HP/CO had in select stations?
----------------
[/blockquote]
The answer to your question. Yes it will preserve the jobs of those whom are currently employed at both carriers by generating much needed revenue and keep us in business

I saw on dot.gov that US applied for exemptions to Hong Kong as well as Japan. Is this commonplace regarding the codeshare or is US really going to fly there? Also..wave 3 went on sale today, supposedly cities via IAD for US* and via PHL for UA*. Can anyone lend insight to the actual cities?

Is the codeshare at some point going to be extended to express flights as well, both US express for UA and UA express for US? So, for example, UA express could feed US's LAX mainline flights and US express could feed UA's PHL flights. Some examples of routes I've known people to fly recently include IAD-EYW and PIT-GEG. In the former one could fly UA mainline to MIA and then US express to EYW; in the latter one could fly US mainline to SEA and UA express to GEG.

Also, is it possible for US to put interline flights with UA before other carriers in their reservation system (and vice versa)? For example, looking up PIT-HNL brings up not only UA but NW, CO and AA. I would think they would want to at least promote interline flights not yet on codeshare. Is this even possible?!

Yah, I really wonder why UA/US haven't agreed upon an Express feed set-up in Florida. Currently, UA is using CO Express as a codeshare in Florida. Pulling the feed away from CO and over to US could entice US to hold the intra-Florida service where it is, if not increase it to a certain extent. Certainly, by having passengers no longer flying CO Express, that carrier might pull down its ops to an extent - to the benefit of US Express. Moreover, given that UA has some international ops out of MIA, US could feed their own Latin America bound passengers through MIA.[BR][BR]I mean, seriously, why should UA be code-sharing with CO Express, giving revenue to CO, when UA could be code-sharing with US, earning US money, and putting some US and US Express employees back to work???[BR][BR]Earth to Crystal City - LOOK AT THE FLORIDA SCHEDULE.

From a reservations system perspective, who controls the express flights? For example, consider SEA-GEG on Sky West. Would US need to codeshare explicitly with Sky West, or would UA "agreeing" to let US put its code on that route be sufficient. Similarly with a Shuttle America flight and US, would UA be able to put its code on TTN-PIT without codesharing directly with Shuttle America? I would think (I'm guessing here) that when the contract carrier is on a fee per departure basis, UA/US would have control over how the flights are marketed. In a revenue sharing setup, the money would pass through the other mainline carrier to the express carrier.

Any thoughts?

Just as a slight correction, the CO* flights which United uses in Florida aren't CO Express, they're CO Connection, which is Gulfstream. Given that CO Connection codeshares/has codeshared with several carriers in Florida, I imagine that it's a revenue-sharing arrangement, not a capacity purchase by CO. While CO has, I believe, an ownership stake in Gulfstream of a few percent, I doubt there's a lot of money going CO's way as a result. With that said, I'd argue that UA's best strategy is probably to go with whichever partner offers them the best profit potential, or with both.

That said, I think the first priority is to broaden the route network of both carriers with new destinations in order to catch traffic which might otherwise be going to CO, DL, NW, AA, etc. US can now get passengers from ERI to PDX or TUS instead of having them fly Delta via CVG.

Yeah..the codeshare is likely to preserve jobs..

Take a city like Seattle, for example, where US Airways has a very small presence. Adding UA codeshare flights makes the overall US city schedule more attractive and should help SEA loads and yields.

I can't imagine the larger of the two airlines taking over all ops in any city, but say for example, US starts flying to PDX or SLC, UA would likely do the ground handling, upstairs and down.