Coffee Burns Boy On Airliner

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Coffee Burns Boy on Airliner

Article Published: Saturday, July 03, 2004
By The Associated Press

Snowmass - A 19-month- old Colorado boy suffered first- and second-degree burns when he was scalded by coffee on a U.S. Airways flight from New York to Boston, his family says.

Kai Hill was burned over 6 percent of his body, including his neck, head and face, his mother, Alexis Karolides, said. She said the baby was sitting on her lap during Tuesday's flight when a flight attendant rolled down the aisle with a beverage cart. "When it got to my feet, it just started to tip, not because there was any turbulence or anything," Karolides said.

She said a pot of coffee landed on the boy's head.

Flight attendants used cold water to soothe the burns. Paramedics met the plane after it landed and took Hill to a hospital. The airline apologized and said an investigation was underway.

Apparently there was something wrong with that cart. So much for tagging carts and getting them fixed. Another fine job by outsourced companies. :down:

Fly said:
..."When it got to my feet, it just started to tip, not because there was any turbulence or anything," Karolides said....
No matter what caused this unfortunate incident it can certainly be prevented from ever happening again very easily and economically. While still in the galley pour the coffee into an insulated carafe that is normally closed until purposely opened. You see these in most restaurants. It wouldn't break the airline to purchase these although litigation from this event might, especially if the airline doesn't care enough to move on this immediately.

There must be some kind of insurance since accidents like this are going to happen whether it be tripping on carpet or turbulence or (heaven forbid) accident, etc. I'd be surprised if the FA kept her job, though. I know she feels horrible, I'd be a basket case. I hope she's doing fine. :(

AlabubbaRegional said:
No matter what caused this unfortunate incident it can certainly be prevented from ever happening again very easily and economically. While still in the galley pour the coffee into an insulated carafe that is normally closed until purposely opened. You see these in most restaurants. It wouldn't break the airline to purchase these although litigation from this event might, especially if the airline doesn't care enough to move on this immediately.
Ok, that is fine...What themoses?!! We have them for international flights...perhaps they will come the way of domestic. I doubt it. 250 a/c times at least 3 thermoses each? Right. I'll believe that when I see that new tie for the guys.

I do want to say this is a horrible thing to happen and I would feel horrible had I been that f/a.

For anyone who has worked that flight, it is a very short 30-35 minute flight usually on the A319 with three f/a's plus first class. Any other flight with that airtime would offer coke, d. coke, sprite, and water...but because it is a shuttle flight and we are competing with Delta, we do a full service, pretzels and full cans of soda. I have worked those flight many times and you feel like marathon stew. You are definitely rushed and the half carts are very easy to tip over if John B. Q Pax has hit foot out and the "excuse me" didn't get to the ears on time. I have witnessed those cart tip over many times.

Suggestion: Until thermoses come our way, place the coffee on the bottom of the cart and place a few beer and wine with the ice. If it is rush hour on the flight, put a few extra where the coffee would have been. Better to have a cold beer unopened land on you then hot coffee.

I just hope the company takes care of the family and that the family understands that more than likely there was no malice intended on part of the f/a.

Do you really believe that the FA would lose her/his job? Sounds very harsh considering that it's not her fault.

"When it got to my feet, it just started to tip, not because there was any turbulence or anything," Karolides said.

This statement seems vague to me, because it suggests to me that the cart hadn't stopped moving. It's interesting that Alexis Karolides remembers where the cart was in relation to where her feet were, because I think most of us who have been passengers on any flight would not be paying attention to the location of the casters when the service cart passes by us. Of course, if someone's foot had been out in the aisle......well, you probably get my drift.

I feel bad for the kid, but at the same time I wonder how much responsibility resides with the parent.

I have never liked the idea of lap children on aircraft. Eliminate the concept and have parents purchase a seat for each child, and don't allow them to sit on the aisle. We don't allow lap children in automobiles, so keep it consistent in all modes of transportation.

Prince of PAWOBs said:
I have never liked the idea of lap children on aircraft. Eliminate the concept and have parents purchase a seat for each child, and don't allow them to sit on the aisle. We don't allow lap children in automobiles, so keep it consistent in all modes of transportation.
It's all a matter of statistics.

For a given trip, a lap child in an airplane is statistically much, much safer than a restrained child in a automobile.

If the airline require a child seat and a paid fare to take up that seat, more parents might opt for the family car. That effectively endangers the child. That's why there is hesitation to change the lap child rules.

USHenry said:
I'd be surprised if the FA kept her job, though. I know she feels horrible, I'd be a basket case. I hope she's doing fine. :(
..........but the incident is NOT the flight attendant's fault. The service was being done on a SHUTTLE ROUTE. To accomplish the service between BOS and NYC, you have a start the service immediately to finish it. The flight time is 30 minutes.
Those carts werent designed to be out in the aisle when the aircraft is still ascending, but to serve everyone, it's required. It's a cart issue. It tipped.

SKY HIGH said:
..........but the incident is NOT the flight attendant's fault. The service was being done on a SHUTTLE ROUTE. To accomplish the service between BOS and NYC, you have a start the service immediately to finish it. The flight time is 30 minutes.
Those carts werent designed to be out in the aisle when the aircraft is still ascending, but to serve everyone, it's required. It's a cart issue. It tipped.
SKY HIGH, apparently you weren't around when this airline did the notorious PIT-PHL BREAKFAST tray flights on the 727-200. Usually it was that nasty long maroon tray with pancakes and bacon along with a full beverage service. I seem to recall a wheels up, wheels down flight time of 28 minutes once and the entire cabin was served and picked up. Nevermind if anybody had time to finish their meal. That flight used to get dumped on the new hires and junior pukes as a right of passage into our fair airline. I am not saying it was a good idea but the fact remains the flight attendants did their job and got on with it.

It's all a matter of statistics.

For a given trip, a lap child in an airplane is statistically much, much safer than a restrained child in a automobile.

If the airline require a child seat and a paid fare to take up that seat, more parents might opt for the family car. That effectively endangers the child. That's why there is hesitation to change the lap child rules.

NYCBusDriver, I doubt the airline industry is as worried about child endangerment as you seem to think it is. Encouraging families to pay for airline tickets as opposed to driving to a destination would make more sense in your statement.

Flying is statistically safer than driving any way you want to compare the two modes of transportation. My point was that if you are going to have potential injuries to lap children, whether it's hot coffee, drunk and rowdy passengers or just plain turbulence, secure the kid in his or her own seat away from the aisle. Considering the industry's attempts to lure passengers with discount fares, I'm sure that the cost of purchasing another seat would outweigh the potential for injury and inconvenience, not to mention airline liability if an injury was to occur to yet another lap child.

firstamendment said:
Ok, that is fine...What themoses?!! We have them for international flights...perhaps they will come the way of domestic. I doubt it. 250 a/c times at least 3 thermoses each? Right. I'll believe that when I see that new tie for the guys.

I do want to say this is a horrible thing to happen and I would feel horrible had I been that f/a.

For anyone who has worked that flight, it is a very short 30-35 minute flight usually on the A319 with three f/a's plus first class. Any other flight with that airtime would offer coke, d. coke, sprite, and water...but because it is a shuttle flight and we are competing with Delta, we do a full service, pretzels and full cans of soda. I have worked those flight many times and you feel like marathon stew. You are definitely rushed and the half carts are very easy to tip over if John B. Q Pax has hit foot out and the "excuse me" didn't get to the ears on time. I have witnessed those cart tip over many times.

Suggestion: Until thermoses come our way, place the coffee on the bottom of the cart and place a few beer and wine with the ice. If it is rush hour on the flight, put a few extra where the coffee would have been. Better to have a cold beer unopened land on you then hot coffee.

I just hope the company takes care of the family and that the family understands that more than likely there was no malice intended on part of the f/a.
The lawsuit settlement that this family will surely receive could have funded these no-spill carafes on the entire fleet. Again, sadly, it always takes something bad to happen to bring about change. BTW, putting the coffee at the bottom of the cart is not a good idea. Continually bending down to get coffee increases the liklihood of another accident. How about filling pots half-way if one thinks the cart has problems?

The 1/2 size A/B carts must go. They have been telling us we would get a FULL SIZE cart for over 2 years now but I have yet to see one. The NO SPILL carafes are a band aid on the problem. Those carts tip over all the time and can hurt someone even without the coffee.

flyguy121, must be the cart design. PSA had half-carts on the MD-80's and BAE-146s and they didn't tip like what's being described. There are thousands of half-carts flying around on dozens of airlines around the world. Seems to me the design US uses could have some mechanical flaw. It would be interesting to find out the other carriers that utilize the same carts and see if they too are having issues with them tipping.

EyeInTheSky said:
The lawsuit settlement that this family will surely receive could have funded these no-spill carafes on the entire fleet. Again, sadly, it always takes something bad to happen to bring about change. BTW, putting the coffee at the bottom of the cart is not a good idea. Continually bending down to get coffee increases the liklihood of another accident. How about filling pots half-way if one thinks the cart has problems?
Wrong!!, Its away from everyone. If a cart tips over, it isn't going to matter if the coffee pot is half empty or full. On the bottom, the worst that will happen is spilling on the carpet.

Who cares if you bend...so on a 5 pm flight, you bend down for beer and wine alot...you lost credability there.