Comair Downsizing

BMIBABYgirl737

Advanced
Oct 22, 2003
I heard there are rumours flying around Comair that DL is possibly downsize them and is going to take their 70 seaters away from them and give them to a "more reasonable" paying carrier, such as Chautauqua? Anyone else heard this?

We have heard rumor at CHQ that we will be launching DLC E170 service, but that's it..rumors. If Comair does reduce any flying we WILL NOT be picking up those planes. CHQ is an all EMBRAER operator and plans to stay that way. There would be no logic in introducing the inferior CRJ-700 product in service at the same time as we have just launched our E170 program. The E170 can run in a 70 seat 12F/68Y configuration, fly 2000 mile legs, and provide a full service, stand-up cabin product that is indistinguishable from a mainline aircraft..

..CT

Hey Taco,

If it's indistinguishable from a mainline aircraft, then WTF??? You should be getting paid mainline wages to fly the thing around!!!!

2000 miles....hmmmm....what region is the "RJ?" going to be supplying feed from??? North America???

Once again, a race to the bottom....B737 and A320 RJ's on the way!!!!

Hey TACO you regional jet PUKE. Indistinguishable...what bullshit. Those ERJ's are POS 145 and I know the 170 doesn't know what's going on since reliability on that thing sucks. BOEING is better always has been always will be. 2000 miles my ass just taking away mainline flying. What a bunch of ####!!

How can you people at Chautauqa stand to contract yourselves out for the lowest dollar amount possible to every carrier possible and steal work from the likes of American Eagle,Piedmont,Allegheney,PSA,Comair, and ASA. I have no respect for what you do! I am furloughed from UAIR and I hate that your crews are wearing our uniforms for every major carrier that you contract yourselves out to! Is Chautauqua too cheap to invest in its own uniform? At least the CRJ700 does not push back then pull back into the gate due to mechanical problems. Also stop fudging your completition numbers to screw everyone else!

CHQ is just leading the pack to the bottom. Regional my A$$. All RJ's are just stealing away mainline flights. If it doesn't have a prop it should be mainline. I bet that will make some new friends.

DalMD88 said:
CHQ is just leading the pack to the bottom. Regional my A$$. All RJ's are just stealing away mainline flights. If it doesn't have a prop it should be mainline. I bet that will make some new friends.
[post="200311"][/post]​

This would not have been an issue if the mainline(s) had been smart enough to OWN the feeders *and* crew them from one seniority list rather than contract them out.

Any potential RJ operator would then have had to go it own their own, much like Independence Air is attempting (and failing?) to do.

Seems to me the mainline(s) is/are GIVING away the flying by contracting with the lowest bidder, which your contract allows. The CHQ's and Mesas of the world are NOT stealing your flying. They are taking advantage of a business opportunity. If there was no opportunity, they would not be there.

(I have no horse in this race. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). ;)

WOW!!

That's the best flaming I've gotten in a while. Perhaps I should clarify my personal position:

I FLY THE THING, I DON'T MAKE THE BUSINESS DECISIONS!!!!!

I do not personally have a hand in taking away any mainline flying, and believe me, I would be much happier if I were on the seniority list of Delta operating these planes than as a contract carrier with limited hope for advancement to a major carrier due to the shift in aircraft allocation.

We do NOT contract ourselves for the lowest possible dollar. Our per block hour rates, while not as high as some carriers, are substantially higher than others. If you want race to the bottom, we are not the leaders. Nothing close. Our most recent contract had a large raise in it, and last I checked, we were sitting well above median in the pay scales. I agree that the scales are still too low overall, and when we were offered a contract with small raises three years ago, I voted NO, as did the majority of my co-workers. To accuse us of "stealing work" from a wholly-owned carrier is total bullcrap. We have never signed a code-share or expansion agreement that has resulted in the direct loss of ANY flying at another carrier. As for the replacement of props with RJ's, I can't help the fact that U Group didn't choose to offer them to the in house carriers first. Sorry.

As for the uniforms, can't help you there either. I'm a member of our Uniform and Appearance committee, and am aware of ALL of our clothing initiatives and policies. Our agreement with U group requires that we wear the U style uniforms. This means navy pants and coats and silver stripes. We have our own brass, which looks similar but clearly says "Chautauqua." Remarkably, this is also the exact same uniform that one third of the induatry wears. When the options are basically black and gold or navy and silver or white, there are only so many possible combinations. The other code shares don't seem to concern themselves with such minutae as long as we look presentable and have a good product. We have tried to institute uniform changes several times, but since we are bound by code share contract to stick with the U style, that is how it will stay.

The 170 is, to the average passenger, indistinguishable from a mainline aircraft. Yes, I said it, it's the same damn thing to them. It has enough room to stand up inside, it's boarded through a jetway, and their rollaboard can go in the overhead bin. It has a first and a coach cabin, two lavatories, and 70 seats. So... How will the average passenger, who just connected from an "Airbus 737" know any different. All they care about is if they can keep their carryon bag and if they have to walk outside to get to the plane.

I am truly sorry for those of you that are furloughed from a major while we deliver more aircraft that serve the "region" of the whole US. As I said above, I would much rather be flying the 170 on the bottom rung of a major carrier's senirity ladder than at the top of CHQ's. I do agree that it's a little silly to have a 2000 mile airplane at a "Regional" but that's what we have. Maybe we can stop pointing fingers for a change and just get along. I am a Pilot first, a Teamster second, and then a company man far beyond. I welcome any of you in my jumpseat, regardless of the logo on your ID, and I hope that you will do the same for me..

..CT

...has it occured to many of you that you've simply priced yourselved out of the market? I like how you want to blame this taco guy. Here's a guy that offers a service that customers are willing to pay for which will allow for a small profit (airlines don't make much money...even regionals) and a decent wage for him and he's the bad guy.

Chicken Taco said:
WOW!!

That's the best flaming I've gotten in a while. Perhaps I should clarify my personal position:

I FLY THE THING, I DON'T MAKE THE BUSINESS DECISIONS!!!!!

I do not personally have a hand in taking away any mainline flying, and believe me, I would be much happier if I were on the seniority list of Delta operating these planes than as a contract carrier with limited hope for advancement to a major carrier due to the shift in aircraft allocation.

We do NOT contract ourselves for the lowest possible dollar. Our per block hour rates, while not as high as some carriers, are substantially higher than others. If you want race to the bottom, we are not the leaders. Nothing close. Our most recent contract had a large raise in it, and last I checked, we were sitting well above median in the pay scales. I agree that the scales are still too low overall, and when we were offered a contract with small raises three years ago, I voted NO, as did the majority of my co-workers. To accuse us of "stealing work" from a wholly-owned carrier is total bullcrap. We have never signed a code-share or expansion agreement that has resulted in the direct loss of ANY flying at another carrier. As for the replacement of props with RJ's, I can't help the fact that U Group didn't choose to offer them to the in house carriers first. Sorry.

As for the uniforms, can't help you there either. I'm a member of our Uniform and Appearance committee, and am aware of ALL of our clothing initiatives and policies. Our agreement with U group requires that we wear the U style uniforms. This means navy pants and coats and silver stripes. We have our own brass, which looks similar but clearly says "Chautauqua." Remarkably, this is also the exact same uniform that one third of the induatry wears. When the options are basically black and gold or navy and silver or white, there are only so many possible combinations. The other code shares don't seem to concern themselves with such minutae as long as we look presentable and have a good product. We have tried to institute uniform changes several times, but since we are bound by code share contract to stick with the U style, that is how it will stay.

The 170 is, to the average passenger, indistinguishable from a mainline aircraft. Yes, I said it, it's the same damn thing to them. It has enough room to stand up inside, it's boarded through a jetway, and their rollaboard can go in the overhead bin. It has a first and a coach cabin, two lavatories, and 70 seats. So... How will the average passenger, who just connected from an "Airbus 737" know any different. All they care about is if they can keep their carryon bag and if they have to walk outside to get to the plane.

I am truly sorry for those of you that are furloughed from a major while we deliver more aircraft that serve the "region" of the whole US. As I said above, I would much rather be flying the 170 on the bottom rung of a major carrier's senirity ladder than at the top of CHQ's. I do agree that it's a little silly to have a 2000 mile airplane at a "Regional" but that's what we have. Maybe we can stop pointing fingers for a change and just get along. I am a Pilot first, a Teamster second, and then a company man far beyond. I welcome any of you in my jumpseat, regardless of the logo on your ID, and I hope that you will do the same for me..

..CT
[post="201225"][/post]​

You said "an Airbus 737"!! The average customer then knows more about types of aircraft than you obviously do.

balloonguy said:
You said "an Airbus 737"!! The average customer then knows more about types of aircraft than you obviously do.
[post="201289"][/post]​

You don't get it do you?

B)

Rocaduro, you beat me to it while I was typing.

I suppose I could explain my joke. I didn't think i'd have to, but....

Ask the average moron in the terminal what kind of plane they just got off of and you will likely hear something like "Boeing Airbus" "Airbus 737" "a big one" "the kind with two seats on one side and three on the other" or my personal favorite "one of those little puddle jumper things." My point is exactly what you missed. People don't give a crap about what kind of plane they ride as long as it's comfortable, on time, and basically forgettable. Ask a 50 segment a year traveller about his last trip, and the one thing he will remember is the late flight, the time he had to board off the hardstand in the rain, or the time he got bumped. He will be able to tell you nothing about the other 47 on-time, normal flights..

..CT

flyhigh said:
...has it occured to many of you that you've simply priced yourselved out of the market? I like how you want to blame this taco guy. Here's a guy that offers a service that customers are willing to pay for which will allow for a small profit (airlines don't make much money...even regionals) and a decent wage for him and he's the bad guy.
[post="201269"][/post]​

You only forgot one little thing. When Mr. TacoFlyer gains a little longevity or his wage seems a little high to the Fatcats in Corporate his job will be "Contracted" to another Lowball Airline. The new Airline might even be operated by his Airline. Do-Do rolls downhill. It would be prudent for Mr. TacoFlyer to replace the old worn out tires on his Mobil Home, he might have to uproot the little Misses and tow the house to another Low Ball company in the near future. If in the forseeable future Mr. TacoFlyer says enough is enough I'm going to take a raise and work the window at McDonalds there will be another Daddies Money Chump to take his place. If Daddy says enough is enough then H1B Aliens can be in the US working Muy Pronto.

...I'm not sure what the pay is exactly, but referencing the Airlinepilotpay.com wbsite it seems that it's not that far off what the rest of America lives on. It may be that like the rest of America, if he/she has one, their significant other will have a job too. There are worse things in life.

Latest posts