Come On Iam We're Waiting For You To Step To The Plate

320tech

Senior
Oct 10, 2005
PHX line Mx
Visit site
QUOTE(Bird Doctor @ Nov 2 2005, 09:52 AM)

November 3. 2005
William O'Driscoll
President & Directing General Chairman
Air Transport District 142,IAM
400 N.E. 32nd Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64116
via certified letter
Dear Mr. O'Driscoll:

I've read your latest letter to the USAirways employees dated October 18, 2005 and am offended that you and other IAM representatives would use management-style scare tactics designed to panic employees into staying IAM. USAirways mechanics, utility and stock clerks have been through enough already from the company and the bankruptcy judge, without being manipulated and deceived by the IAM. They deserve more from a union.

Below are issues that you and other IAM officials are manipulating:

You've already surrendered the right to renegotiate both agreements after the certification of a single carrier by the NMB. Worse, you are deceiving your members by claiming that the issue is whether the 1AM agreement "survives." Anyone with experience under the Railway Labor Act knows that the two agreements continue as the "status quo" after the single carrier proceeding. It is not an option for management to negotiate, the company is legally obligated. You have given up the employees' right to renegotiate their agreement and never informed the members of their right to renegotiate in the first place.

The Teamsters are committed to renegotiate the substandard IAM agreement after it is certified by the NMB. We did the same thing at Piedmont when we beat IAM to represent the mechanics and related employees there. Though IAM used the same manipulation with the Piedmont employees, telling them that they'd be stuck with an inferior !AM agreement after the merger, the Piedmont employees ignored your lies and voted for the IBT. Now the Piedmont mechanics are in bargaining for a new agreement to replace their low-wage IAM contract. The USAirways employees will get the same opportunity-only when they are represented by ihe 1BT.

You blatantly lied about the Teamsters and our contract with America West Airlines. The IAM agreement has lower hourly rates, no shift differential, lower license premiums, and inferior overtime accumulation than the Teamsters at AWA. AWA Teamsters also have superior sick pay, holidays, and vacation time accrual. Since you refuse to provide your members with a copy of their own agreement from January 2005, the Teamsters posted both the AWA and USAirways contracts on line so that members can read and compare for themselves at www.teamsterslocal 104.org.

The Teamsters are outraged that you would impose your substandard agreement on us.
Under the IAM contract, the AWA mechanics would take an across the board wage and benefit cuts. The GSE and stock clerks would benefit monetarily, only if they are employed long enough. Your scope language endangers these jobs by allowing the company to contract out their work in outstations without limitation.
You also make false claims about scope protections by asserting that the IAM scope agreement would bring in-house work that has been outsourced at AWA since before the IBT came on the property. The fact is that IAM could not prevent the outsourcing of heavy maintenance work on Airbuses as that plainly belongs to the USAirways AMTs. Also, every IAM scope clause, including the USAirways IAM scope clause, permits companies to continue historic outsourcing. No IAM agreement has provisions to capture outsourced work. Indeed, the USAirways IAM scope clause has no prohibition on subcontracting. There is no presumption against subcontracting under your agreement.

In contrast, the IBT has won scope clauses that prohibit subcontracting and permit it only within strict limitations. Further, IBT agreements require the company to create full-time positions from subcontracted line maintenance work. IBT agreements also require creation of new heavy maintenance lines to grow headcount. The IBT's scope proposals to AWA in current bargaining seek to gain these protections and the current language protects work that is done now. No IAM agreement anywhere in the industry has such protections, and you have made clear you will not seek such protections for the USAirways employees.

The Teamsters have industry-leading scope and work-capture protections. Unlike IAM, the IBT has not lost work that had long been performed in-house. Rather, we're working on gaining work in the future over and above what we've historically done.

You won't tell them—but the members need to know that the only way for them to renegotiate the substandard IAM agreement at USAirways is to sign a card and vote Teamster.

Unlike the IAM, we believe that both contracts require dramatic improvements and we are negotiating those improvements with AWA right now. We are not satisfied with either our first contract with AWA or your bankruptcy contract and believe that the members deserve more with a Union that is willing to fight for more.

You have conditioned this workforce to expect the very least from their union and you deliver
every time. By joining the Teamsters, the members will a have a say in their contract, be
informed of decisions that affect them, have an opportunity to read all agreements made by the
Union and company, and vote on their contracts by mail ballot. We know that the members are
aware of what is best for them.

Finally, in order to set the record straight, I challenge you and any other IAM representatives to a debate, at any location, at any union hall, in any city. Make your case and defend your positions in front of the membership. Let them decide who is straightfonvard and who is misrepresenting the facts. I am available any day of the week.

Sincerely,

Andrew Marshall
Secretary-Treasurer

Cc:
James P. Hoffa, General President
Don Treichler, Airline Division Director
Tom Buffenberger, LAM President
Teamsters Membership

--------------------

Life has but one ending Live it to the fullist

Just needed to bring this to its own place :up:

I don't believe the challenge will be taken by the IAM. :)
ain't the way they play the game gonzo......
hope andy can hold his breath real long......
they don't believe in posting contracts on web sites.....
its jjust the way they do business.....
like ask andy to tell you how he got duped by U labor relations experts??

I don't remember "its just the way they do business" being a good answer. It doesn't concern me were Mr. Marshall got the contract. The information being out there is what is important.

Whats the matter Dell Dude can't your IAM boys handle the pressure infront of the members, and thats the type of leadership you want. open up your eyes we have a better chance with the teamsters we can get the right contract with them now not wait 5 plus more years! and before you keep using that famus saying from u700 the work that is done in house now will not leave under our scope it is in black and white. at least go to the meatings and ask questions, at least our people will answer not run away and hide like the IAM boys did last thursday in tempe.

I am sure the debate will never take place and in reality I don't believe it was intended to take place. It was more of a show of willingness on the IBT's part and unwillingness on the IAM's part that was necessary. "Its just the way they do business", something has to change or the IAM is doomed.

I am sure the debate will never take place and in reality I don't believe it was intended to take place. It was more of a show of willingness on the IBT's part and unwillingness on the IAM's part that was necessary. "Its just the way they do business", something has to change or the IAM is doomed.
soon you will do business the same way,mark my words.

soon you will do business the same way,mark my words.
Is that what you really want? That would be like me and a member of management from US/West having this same argument and me hoping and bragging about our top management remaining to run the combined airline.
Do you really want the IAM running the same way? Hmmmm...Be careful what you ask for.

QUOTE(Bird Doctor @ Nov 2 2005, 09:52 AM)

You've already surrendered the right to renegotiate both agreements after the certification of a single....

The Teamsters are committed to renegotiate the substandard IAM agreement after it is certified by the NMB. The USAirways employees will get the same opportunity-only when they are represented by ihe 1BT.

AWA Teamsters also have superior sick pay.......

The fact is that IAM could not prevent the outsourcing of heavy maintenance work on Airbuses as that plainly belongs to the USAirways AMTs.

We are not satisfied with either our first contract with AWA or your bankruptcy contract and believe that the members deserve more with a Union that is willing to fight for more".......

This just sounds like the latest IBT spinnage.

Hopefully the NMB makes there ruling soon and the IBT lacks the 35% interest so we can get on with operating an airline. Then when our current contract expires hopefully the industry will be in a much better shape. The IAM is in transitition negotiations now.

The IBT has been negotiating since '03 and no heavy maintenace work.

"Superior sick pay", not... 320 hours max for IBT not so great.

US Airways did keep all of the small airbus (319,320, 321) heavy maintenace work. A previous judge had already ruled it was our work. The IAM had it brought back in house after the company had sent it to Mobile.

"We are not satisfied with either our first contract with AWA"....I am glad you are not satisfied with it because it is substandard to the current IAM current contract.

Docker we get 8 ours of pay for 8 hours of sick time - more holidays - more vacation - and more per hour. Dream on if you think IAM is better - don't know what your smoking but you had better hope that you don't get popped for a random.

IAM could negociate a new contract but they are to cheap and lazy they would rather just sit back and collect dues through 2009 - read the case law.

at the end of the day when one or the other union prevails.....
will everyone put their differences aside and come together or what? ;)

My belief is that no matter who prevails eventually we will pull together...........or parish. This thread is made up of many personality types........all different........all have their reasons for the comments they make.........honorable or not.

My belief is that no matter who prevails eventually we will pull together...........or parish. This thread is made up of many personality types........all different........all have their reasons for the comments they make.........honorable or not.
(edited by moderator - please read the newbie rules and regulations before continuing to post or the stay onboard might be a short one. Thanks.)