"come Out And Fly With The Big Boys"

wnbubbleboy

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
By God Indiana
Looks to me like someone's trying to shelve the "Freedom to Fly Act" in the House.

Chairman rejects Wright Amendment hearings
Associated Press

DALLAS — The chairman of the House energy committee says there is no need for quick hearings on a bill favored by Southwest Airlines to lift restrictions on Dallas Love Field, and even the bill's author believes passage could take "months or years."

The comments underscore the uphill fight that Southwest faces in operating long flights from its home at Love Field, which Congress banned in 1979.

"I don't see that this effort to repeal the Wright Amendment is really going anywhere," House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Joe Barton, R-Ennis, said Monday, referring to the 1979 law. "So I'm not sure there needs to be a hearing on it."

Barton called Love Field "a landlocked, antiquated airport." He also said, however, that allowing long flights from Love would threaten nearby but much larger Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport.

Barton and seven other House members from North Texas spoke Monday to the Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce. There was no indication that Southwest has gained support to expand at Love Field. Only two lawmakers took Southwest's side, and both had done so weeks ago.

Any proposal to repeal the Wright Amendment would probably go through Barton's committee. Rep. Jeb Hensarling, who has proposed to repeal the Wright Amendment, said he was bracing for a long fight.

"It's something I'd like to see happen overnight, but I suspect success will not come in days or weeks, it'll be closer to months or years," said Hensarling, R-Dallas. "Will there be a hearing this year? I don't know. Will there be a hearing next year? I don't know."

Hensarling said many of his colleagues outside Texas favor repealing the law but would prefer to see the local delegation settle the dispute.

Rep. Sam Johnson, R-Plano, the other lawmaker to support Southwest, said expanding Love Field service would create jobs and help fill empty office space nearby in downtown Dallas.

Most of the local House members said limits on Love Field are still needed to protect larger DFW Airport, which they said had attracted many employers and jobs to the area. DFW and its major tenant, American Airlines, oppose Southwest's plans for Love Field, fearing they could siphon travelers away from DFW.

One study estimated that American could lose $300 million if Southwest offers long-haul flights at Love Field, based on the assumption that Southwest would charge lower fares than American does at DFW.

Even a consultant for DFW Airport predicted fares would fall if Southwest ran long flights from Love Field. Southwest and its allies say that would help travelers and the local economy.

Southwest could also launch long-haul service from DFW, but it has resisted, saying that would be uneconomical. Any Southwest operation at DFW would probably be dwarfed by American, which operates more than 800 daily flights at DFW, including sister airline American Eagle.

Southwest, which started more than 30 years ago with one plane, is now a major airline, Barton said.

"They ought to come out to a major airport and compete head-to-head with the big boys," he said, "and we'll all benefit from that."

In my opinion, Southwest will begin looking for a new location for its corporate headquarters very soon.

Possible cities include: Houston, Austin, Chicago, Phoenix, San Antonio and Las Vegas.

luver41 said:
In my opinion, Southwest will begin looking for a new location for its corporate headquarters very soon.

Possible cities include: Houston, Austin, Chicago, Phoenix, San Antonio and Las Vegas.
[post="288696"][/post]​

I fear you may be right if the politicans in NE Texas don't get their act together soon ...

Perhaps SWA will move its HQ to the Legacy area in Plano? This is out of both the City of Dallas and Dallas County, still within commuting distance for nearly all SWA employees, and supports Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Plano) as well. Besides, Legacy is extremely well wired as the host of EDS, JCPenney, Frito-Lay, and many other Fortune 1000 business headquarters.

Personally, I'd laugh if SWA built a new terminal at the Collin County Regional Airport at McKinney (TKI). With a new 8,000' x 150' runway getting ready to be built it has all the makings of a SWA destination. (They'll have an extra $130 million freed up when Seattle's SEA-TAC airport realizes the errors of its own plans) It's only about 30 miles from downtown Dallas via US75 and Hwy 121 goes directly from DFW to Legacy to TKI. Texas Instruments and EDS both have their corporate aircraft fleets at TKI. Best of all, by building their own facilities, SWA doesn't have any obligation to invite anyone else to come play in their yard!

Of course, there are issues about moving to TKI, too, but it's a great idea if for no other reason than to stir the pot and watch DFW/AA waste more money fighting the issue.

corl737 said:
Perhaps SWA will move its HQ to the Legacy area in Plano? This is out of both the City of Dallas and Dallas County, still within commuting distance for nearly all SWA employees, and supports Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Plano) as well. Besides, Legacy is extremely well wired as the host of EDS, JCPenney, Frito-Lay, and many other Fortune 1000 business headquarters.

Personally, I'd laugh if SWA built a new terminal at the Collin County Regional Airport at McKinney (TKI). With a new 8,000' x 150' runway getting ready to be built it has all the makings of a SWA destination. (They'll have an extra $130 million freed up when Seattle's SEA-TAC airport realizes the errors of its own plans) It's only about 30 miles from downtown Dallas via US75 and Hwy 121 goes directly from DFW to Legacy to TKI. Texas Instruments and EDS both have their corporate aircraft fleets at TKI. Best of all, by building their own facilities, SWA doesn't have any obligation to invite anyone else to come play in their yard!

Of course, there are issues about moving to TKI, too, but it's a great idea if for no other reason than to stir the pot and watch DFW/AA waste more money fighting the issue.
[post="288776"][/post]​

sounds like the perfect southwest move.... on paper anyway :huh:

luver41 said:

[post="288696"][/post]​

Buh-by then.

wnbubbleboy said:
Southwest, which started more than 30 years ago with one plane, is now a major airline, Barton said.

"They ought to come out to a major airport and compete head-to-head with the big boys," he said, "and we'll all benefit from that."
[post="288529"][/post]​

Seems to me that Barton has his criteria backward in saying who the "big boys" are:

Market Capitalization as of market close 8/17:
Southwest Airlines (LUV) $10.87 billion.
AMR Corp. (AMR) $2.29 billion.

I wonder how much bigger AMR could have been if they hadn't had to pay all that money to DFW for the "privilege" of flying from a major airport? :rolleyes:

corl737 said:
Seems to me that Barton has his criteria backward in saying who the "big boys" are:

Market Capitalization as of market close 8/17:
Southwest Airlines (LUV) $10.87 billion.
AMR Corp. (AMR) $2.29 billion.

I wonder how much bigger AMR could have been if they hadn't had to pay all that money to DFW for the "privilege" of flying from a major airport? :rolleyes:
[post="289055"][/post]​

SWA is one of the few airlines to make money for the shareholders.
Other airlines have, and will continue to make money for the entities associated with them---aircraft sales, leases, parts, rents, financing, lawyers, etc...
Major airlines business plans don't proritize making a profit--they generate revenue for others. Why do you think they are still around? What other business could continue with such dismal financial performance?

Back to the grindstone...

corl737 said:

Personally, I'd laugh if SWA built a new terminal at the Collin County Regional Airport at  McKinney (TKI). With a new 8,000' x 150' runway getting ready to be built it has all the makings of a SWA destination. (They'll have an extra $130 million freed up when Seattle's SEA-TAC airport realizes the errors of its own plans) It's only about 30 miles from downtown Dallas via US75 and Hwy 121 goes directly from DFW to Legacy to TKI. Texas Instruments and EDS both have their corporate aircraft fleets at TKI. Best of all, by building their own facilities, SWA doesn't have any obligation to invite anyone else to come play in their yard!

[post="288776"][/post]​

Funny how you lambast AA for chasing politicians, yet you suggest that Southwest do the same thing. What's even dumber is that if you move the corporate headquarters to Sam Johnson's district and then he isn't re-elected, or his district is re-drawn and it doesn't include the new headquarters, are you going to move again? I'm pretty sure the Southwest headquarters consists of more than one or two double-wides with filing cabinets, thus the cost would be pretty high, and unnecessary costs is not something Southwest is all that fond of incurring.

Honestly, how many people do you really think are going to fight rush-hour traffic for 30 miles on US75 for a 45 minute flight to HOU, SAT, etc.? Don't you think they would just drive the other direction and reach the destination at the same time, at less cost, with far greater luggage limits (whatever your car can carry) and without any TSA probing?

Or is the plan to keep Love Field open so you don't piss away all the short-haul travel while flying long-haul out of TKI? I hope not, because that would invalidate the "no one wants to split operations" arguments.

This idea of moving the corporate headquarters and setting up shop at TKI has more holes in it than a HP/US profitability plan.

JS said:
Funny how you lambast AA for chasing politicians, yet you suggest that Southwest do the same thing. What's even dumber is that if you move the corporate headquarters to Sam Johnson's district and then he isn't re-elected, or his district is re-drawn and it doesn't include the new headquarters, are you going to move again? I'm pretty sure the Southwest headquarters consists of more than one or two double-wides with filing cabinets, thus the cost would be pretty high, and unnecessary costs is not something Southwest is all that fond of incurring.

Honestly, how many people do you really think are going to fight rush-hour traffic for 30 miles on US75 for a 45 minute flight to HOU, SAT, etc.? Don't you think they would just drive the other direction and reach the destination at the same time, at less cost, with far greater luggage limits (whatever your car can carry) and without any TSA probing?

Or is the plan to keep Love Field open so you don't piss away all the short-haul travel while flying long-haul out of TKI? I hope not, because that would invalidate the "no one wants to split operations" arguments.

This idea of moving the corporate headquarters and setting up shop at TKI has more holes in it than a HP/US profitability plan.
[post="291147"][/post]​

:D Oof, JS. Go ahead and let us know when you get off the fence about this one. :D

JS said:
[post="291147"][/post]​

I hole-heartedly (spelling intended!) agree with you, JS! My point was simply that a move to DFW isn't the only course of action if forced out of Love Field. A local non-Wright-restricted airport is an option on the table and it's outcome would be far better for SWA than hunkering down inside AA's bunker at DFW.

TKI is not even a remote possibility for a large scale commercial operation. I used to run a business at TKI prior to moving out of state last year. I know the airport manager, city council, airport supporters and opposers. TKI becoming "Love Field North" isn't just a long shot, it's never going to happen in my lifetime ... and hopefully that is a long time! Their new runway is for the purpose of attracting additional corporate entities and is only being built to satisfy new FAA rules that made the proximity of their old runway too close to existing structures. (The TKI masterplan can be viewed here.)

I chose TKI for my example only because I'm very familiar with that airport's facilities. In reality, a re-opened Dallas Millenium Airport (the old Dallas Naval Air Station) would be a much better choice!
(Wanna stir that pot? :) )

corl737 said:
I hole-heartedly (spelling intended!) agree with you, JS! My point was simply that a move to DFW isn't the only course of action if forced out of Love Field. A local non-Wright-restricted airport is an option on the table and it's outcome would be far better for SWA than hunkering down inside AA's bunker at DFW.

TKI is not even a remote possibility for a large scale commercial operation. I used to run a business at TKI prior to moving out of state last year. I know the airport manager, city council, airport supporters and opposers. TKI becoming "Love Field North" isn't just a long shot, it's never going to happen in my lifetime ... and hopefully that is a long time! Their new runway is for the purpose of attracting additional corporate entities and is only being built to satisfy new FAA rules that made the proximity of their old runway too close to existing structures. (The TKI masterplan can be viewed here.)

I chose TKI for my example only because I'm very familiar with that airport's facilities. In reality, a re-opened Dallas Millenium Airport (the old Dallas Naval Air Station) would be a much better choice!
(Wanna stir that pot? :) )
[post="291307"][/post]​

How about ACT?

What happened to deregulation???? This is a perfect example of the government sticking their noses where they don't belong. If the industry is deregulated then WN should be allowed to fly where ever it wants to out of LUV or DFW. Likewise, AA or anyother airline should be able to do the same.

I know it would never happen, but it would be great to see the airlines just up and leave DFW and LUV. Then lets see how the politicians like riding Greyhound to DCA.