Comments on New Magazine & Question on Overweight Baggage Fee

I flew PHL-PIT yesterday for my first segment of the year, so I got to read the new magazine. I thought the quality of the articles was very good, the same as Attaché. I did think that it seemed to be disproportionately focused on LAS--I don't know if that'll be a regular thing, or just this issue. I know it's a big destination and all and gets lots of advertising, but it's well under half the size of the hubs at CLT, PHX, PHL, and even a little smaller than DCA.

There were two big things that I did not like about the magazine at all. From the December Attaché to the January US Airways Magazine, they removed the airport maps for FLL, ORD, DEN, FRA, SFO, IAD. That saved a whopping one page, both sides, and I think it was a horrible move. US still offers several unique international destinations at FLL, with plenty of connecting pax there, and it can probably be confusing, especially since you have to switch terminals when connecting international-to-domestic. Likewise, when connecting to UA or LH, US customers might not be that familiar with the other airports, and a map would be useful for them. And at FLL, many pax might not speak English (ditto for FRA and German), so a map would be even more helpful. A pretty stupid move, if you ask me, and even if they do decide to fix it now, it'll take months, given the necessary lead time.

The other thing was that they removed *ALL* of the Spanish-language sections that used to be in Attaché. There wasn't much--the letter from Doug, the food/drink/In Flight Café information, and the movie information--but it was a really nice touch I thought, and I think it made our Spanish-speaking customers feel more welcome. And with US serving lots and lots of Spanish-speaking places (and HP serving an additional big bunch of cities in Mexico), I think that stuff was nice for them. But that wasn't all they removed--they also removed the Spanish-language instructions for filling out the Customs/Immigration forms (the I-94 and such). That information wasn't just a nice touch; it was really necessary, and I have to think there are going to be *big* problems now with people that don't know how to fill out their forms. Just a completely sloppy mistake, someone out west isn't thinking that this airline has a way bigger international reach than the old HP.

I didn't get to see the new video. I was on a 733 with video monitors, but they showed the December stuff. :blink:

My other question was when they raised the overweight baggage fee to $50. I could swear it was $25 the last time I paid it. I checked in at a kiosk, then told the agent tagging my bags that one was overweight. She asked me by how much it was overweight (she never did weigh the bag), and I think she was going to let me slide if it was just a few pounds. But I told her the truth, that I had weighed it at home and that it was 58 pounds. She then told me that there would be a fee, and I said "I know." But she never actually said what the fee was, I just gave her my credit card and signed the receipt without even looking at it. Then, when I was getting my boarding pass out of the ticket jacket at security, I noticed that my receipt for the 51-70 Overweight Fee was $50, and I was shocked. I really think that's a bit excessive for only 8 pounds overweight, especially for a US1--but I would've paid it anyway, so I guess they can charge what they like. Just curious when they did it, as I don't remember hearing about it. Then again, they've made so many customer-unfriendly rule changes in the last few months, it's hard keeping track.

Moderator note- deleted ENTIRE previous post. Once again, please do not quote and entire (especially lenghty post. Thanks.
Send your comments in. Changes will take time but corporate will listen.

The $50 overweight fee has been in place for quite a while. Just a suggestion based on what I've seen at the airport previously: if your bag is only a few pounds over and you have another bag, shift some weight over. And if you don't have another bag to check, always keep a small duffle type bag with you to transfer some weight.

I like the new name "US Airways magazine" very innovative...how long did it take the marketing guys to come up with that? Just kidding....overall it seemed ok...a lot more ads.

Send your comments in. Changes will take time but corporate will listen.

The $50 overweight fee has been in place for quite a while. Just a suggestion based on what I've seen at the airport previously: if your bag is only a few pounds over and you have another bag, shift some weight over. And if you don't have another bag to check, always keep a small duffle type bag with you to transfer some weight.

Moving the weight around wasn't an option, I knew I would have to pay a fee, and I really didn't mind, just thought it was still $25. I checked 2 bags, the 58 lb one and a 47 lb one, and I also had a carry-on that was bulging at the seams. I was bringing all of my clothes and such back to college for the semester, and I also had a bunch of Christmas presents I was bringing back to PIT (like lots of heavy books), so there wasn't much I could do about it.

I'm not the type that sends in letters to complain about things like this, but perhaps I will dash off an e-mail. They've devalued elite status so much, perhaps they could give preferreds some extra baggage allowance (or even just a discounted overweight fee) like most of the other Star carriers do.

As for the problems I see with the new US Airways Magazine, they don't affect me in any way. I know how to navigate around an airport without a map, and I don't speak Spanish. But there are plenty of people out there for whom those things would be quite useful.

Leaving out the spanish language instructions is probably an oversight that will be corrected. Same with leaving the airport maps out for SFO and others. It's not the end of the world but perhaps an indicator of things to come?

I agree that leaving out the Spanish customs/immigration instructions was probably an oversight, but again, it was a sloppy one by someone who wasn't thinking with the right mindset. The airport maps and the other Spanish features, those I think were more deliberate though. And again, even if they do fix/revert the changes, with the lead times for the magazine, it'll be until at least the March or probably April issue before it's fixed.

I'm beginning to see a disturbing trend however with top echelon of the new management. What is often called "N.I.H (Not Invented Here)Syndrome" seems to be on the rise. Calling FLL a "Failed experiment" makes me wonder if DP and BBB weren't exactly the best of friends when they were at NWA. If leaving out FLL is evidence of NIH taking hold then it's going to be a bumpy ride for the customers of the old US.

I agree, and I can't believe they said that about FLL. How do you think that makes the FLL customers feel, that they're a failed experiment? And it surely hurts confidence that the remaining flights will stick around for people booking future tickets. It's almost as bad as Bronner from RSA opening his big mouth and saying inappropriate things. If FLL was a failed experiment, you don't have to say so. And really, I don't think it was--they didn't give it any time at all to develop, and yet the routes that they still have there now are doing quite well.

I'm not the type that sends in letters to complain about things like this, but perhaps I will dash off an e-mail. They've devalued elite status so much, perhaps they could give preferreds some extra baggage allowance (or even just a discounted overweight fee) like most of the other Star carriers do.
No, don't "complain" just put forth your views and make the suggestions that you feel are important to you. You're probably not the only one that feels that way. They will listen.......things may not change immediately or they may not change at all........but they WILL listen.

My only question is this:

Will we still get to see the beautiful selection of topiary plants on the cover of the magazine at least every other month?

I like the new name "US Airways magazine" very innovative...how long did it take the marketing guys to come up with that? Just kidding....overall it seemed ok...a lot more ads.
Personally I like the contents of the "New" magazine....I can adjust to the name change as well (although Attache' made it more exclusive to the airline). What I question is IF the intent was to instill BRAND RECOGNITION, why did they introduce a "NEW" typeface for USAIRWAYS? Why not use the same STYLE as what is on the a/c?

that is a good point. anyone have a link to the new magazine showing the new font? i would think it would mirror what we see on the planes.

i assume lot of LAS ads because those companies like to spend money on ads. Loads were heavy to LAS premerger, what are they like now? Adding any flights?

The magaxine is fine but that level off announcement? It goes on and on and on and on and on and on...oops, I think I fell into a trance. lol The biz traveler on hops like PHL-BOS and the US Shuttle are going to LOVE hearing that 20 times a month. :lol:

The magaxine is fine but that level off announcement? It goes on and on and on and on and on and on...oops, I think I fell into a trance. lol The biz traveler on hops like PHL-BOS and the US Shuttle are going to LOVE hearing that 20 times a month. :lol:

that is how the old HP safety announcement was--after a few times of hearing it, I was like, where's the snack basket? oh, that's right, you don't have one....

but, really, HP's safety announcement was so slow and drawn out so maybe that is how they like things in Tempe

Funny, when the Attaché magazine was first on the aircraft, the name stood out boldly above the seat back pockets but at first glance appeared to say Attack!

i sent corporate an e-mail about the employee showcase part of it. it seems that they ommited that as well. you know, the one in the very beginning that showcased an employee and what he/she does that is speacial for the company. here was the response...

I checked with the magazine folks and the truth is that it's planned, but there are limited numbers of people and while they're rebuilding the magazine from the ground up, they just haven't gotten that far yet. You can expect to see an employee feature show up in the future.

Hope that helps.
mh

Mark Hein | Employee Communications
US Airways Corporate Communications

P: 480.693.5935
F: 480.693.5546
e: [email protected]

you can also e-mail mark at the e-mail address above with your questions or suggestions.

Latest posts