Company Failed To Plan

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
PHILADELPHIA As operations return to near-normal for U-S Airways, union leaders today are blaming the airline's Christmas meltdown on bad planning, not worker absences.

PHL Story

As operations slowly returned to near-normal for US Airways on Monday, union leaders blamed the airline's Christmas meltdown on bad planning, and denied that workers had staged a "sickout" to penalize the company for slashing their pay.

AP Story

700 i agree with you here.. The company failed to realize that a few slackers who have skirted by because the unions get their jobs back, WOULD STRIKE YET AGAIN! FIRE THEM ALL !

80 out of 10,000 IAM members, wow that is really a lot, NOT!

223 out of 5,300 AFA members.

Look at AA over 2,000 FAs called in sick.

You got a PHD in Math?

223 "reserve" flight attendants called in sick. I wonder how many total flight attendants called in sick?

700UW said:

You got a PHD in Math?
[post="232487"][/post]​

Tell that to the press Newt. Cause right now they ain't listening.

I don't care.

The media sensationalizes everything and people like you think all union workers are scum

Why waste my time and energy?

And god forbid you actually use the truth.

FlyUs said:
223 "reserve" flight attendants called in sick. I wonder how many total flight attendants called in sick?
[post="232490"][/post]​

According to the latest quotes from the company:

"Of about 1,675 flight attendants scheduled to work over the holiday travel period, about 300 called in sick daily, more than expected based on past holidays, US Airways spokesman Chris Chiames said. The carrier usually plans for about 100 such absences."

I do question the number of flight attendants "scheduled to work over the holiday travel period". Assuming 2 crews per airplane, it takes over 1800 per day for minimum F/A complement. Add in the weather caused delays, cancellations, etc and that number only goes up.

Jim

700UW said:
You got a PHD in Math?
[post="232487"][/post]​

BoeingBoy said:
"Of about 1,675 flight attendants scheduled to work over the holiday travel period, about 300 called in sick daily, more than expected based on past holidays, US Airways spokesman Chris Chiames said. The carrier usually plans for about 100 such absences."

I do question the number of flight attendants "scheduled to work over the holiday travel period". Assuming 2 crews per airplane, it takes over 1800 per day for minimum F/A complement. Add in the weather caused delays, cancellations, etc and that number only goes up.

Jim
[post="232502"][/post]​

This would put it in better perspective, wouldn't you say?

Only if you always take the company's word as gospel....

As I mentioned in the part you didn't highlight, at least one of the company's numbers is bogus. Every airplane will see at least 2 crews per day, and some will see 3 or 4.

I'd guess that a more realistic number of F/A's working on a normal day is between 2000 and 2200. PitBull could be more specific. As I also said above, throw in the weather and that number goes up.

Jim

FlyUs said:
[post="232490"][/post]​

Xmas eve, it was 304 total, last year, 2003, it was 297 total...no cancellations last year.

If the company did not put in the equation attrition for 2004, then the same number of sick calls would create a problem. ONly managment knows if they were prepared...and evidence speaks for itself.

Chiames is not being forthright with his statment. 100 sick calls a day is on non holidays, system wide. over 250 on xmas holidays, every xmas.

He was off target on purpose.

Boeing, your estimations are correct.

Still though...no sh$t. Morale is at an all time low, salaries are being reduced repeatedly because of mgmt failures, of course sick calls are going to go up around the holidays. When people need to choose between spending time with their families or showing up to work for an employer that could give 2 sh$ts about them, anyone can guess that many people will call in sick. And many more than "history" shows. Mr. Chiames should have put 2 and 2 together and figured this out!!

700UW said:

You got a PHD in Math?
[post="232487"][/post]​

And the ones that sicked out...the unions will protect them from wrongful termination. The unions wont have the opportunity...the company will more than likely liquidate very soon.

PitBull,

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the company has replaced any attrition among the F/A's since the post-9/11 cutbacks. I know they haven't for pilots.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the pilot sick list for CLT 737 reserve F/O's over the holidays. It peaked at 12.5% on Christmas day (reserve Captains at 7.3%). The only thing that kept a pilot shortage from developing was that the schedules were made up before the new agreement was ratified and 85 hours was the limit. Under the new agreement, each pilot can fly at least 10 extra hours.

Jim

Boeing,

There have been no "recalls". Only PIT is over staffed, and this overstaffing of PIT base is to cover the rest of the bases sick calls, medicals etc...

I do believe that employees who are concerned about medical insurance for 2005 and another deductable have gone on medical leaves to have surgeries that were needed or tests and lab work that is needed BEFORE the year is up.

That also creates a problem in staffing. But the company knows this and has discussed this with union leaders.

I just don't understand how this managment gets away with absolutely no blame for this horrific disaster this weekend. Even being prepared for weather problems did not prove adequate.