Concessions Alone won''t Work---it''s a Revenue Problem

There is, indeed, a revenue problem, but in the case of AAL, I would also characterize it as a management/leadership problem.

Whether Carty embraces the concept, or not, there is such a thing as "leading by example". To put it mildly, he has not set a good example.

Maybe we could hire Herb.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 2:17:38 PM Wretched Wrench wrote:

There is, indeed, a revenue problem, but in the case of AAL, I would also characterize it as a management/leadership problem.

Whether Carty embraces the concept, or not, there is such a thing as "leading by example". To put it mildly, he has not set a good example.

----------------​

Herb''s a great suggestion if you don''t mind half the FAs being laid off and the survivors pulling up the slack.

Something tells me the AA unions wouldn''t like Herb very much, either.

I agree Ch. 12.

But do you honestly think the unions would agree? I''m just pointing out that union employees wouldn''t like Herb anymore than they like Carty. At first they would embrace him, then when he started making smart business moves that affect their pay/perks/job status they would turn on him just like they have on Carty.

----------------

Herb''s a great suggestion if you don''t mind half the FAs being laid off and the survivors pulling up the slack.

----------------

Isn''t that called "efficiency"? Perhaps that''s what''s lacking here?

I hear you. The most difficult thing to change at a sizeable organization is the culture. Unfortunately, that is the one thing that HAS to change at AA.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 2:17:38 PM Wretched Wrench wrote:

----------------​

Hmmmmmmmmm, lets compare airline leadership of Carty / AA vs. others

1) UA: chapter 11, employee concessions, LCC, USAirways codeshare
2) DL: LCC (Song) & NW/CO code-share
3) NW: DL codeshare & employee concessions
4) US: chapter 11, employee concessionsx2, UA codeshare, * alliance, RJs
5) AC: regional re-branding, 2 LCCs, bankruptcy
6) CO: ??? can''t think of anything CO has done besides Gord mouthing off every now and then

So where''s the LEADER?
Which of these airlines is not like the other?

At least AA is not attempting to create a LCC.
At least AA has not screwed shareholders/employees/creditors by filing chapter 11 (yet).
US and UA could not avoid chapter 11. Clearly a failure.
CO is probably struggling to stay out of chapter 11.
AC had to file for bankruptcy protection. Clearly a failure.
NW, DL, AA may be the only ''major'' airlines that do not have to file chapter 11. That is leadership. I know it''s pathetic, but it looks like if you can avoiding taking your airline into chapter 11 , than in today''s environment you are a leader.