Continental Adding LHR service from EWR/IAH

Aug 19, 2002
The JFK
www.usaviation.com
I expect AA will cut and run from the competition as it is the new standard procedure.

HOUSTON, Jan 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) announced today that it will increase its schedule of flights between its New York hub at Newark Liberty International Airport and London/Heathrow, during 2010. The airline will add a fourth daily service to the route in March and a fifth daily service in October, bringing the total number of Continental daily departures to Heathrow to seven, including its twice-daily service from Houston.

Continental Adds LHR Service

"Not in the face! Not in the face!"- American Airlines CEO Gerard Arpey

"Not in the face! Not in the face!"- American Airlines CEO Gerard Arpey

:D

This will give UA (and other *Alliance) flyers more LHR options from the NYC area, even if they have to trek all the way out to EWR. Still better than flying LGA-IAD-LHR in my opinion. And to be fair, most of these five daily EWR-LHR flights will be 757s, compared to AA's 777s.

This is a classic example of the increased flying that can result from transatlantic ATI like that enjoyed by UA, CO and LH. I'm hoping we see similar examples once the AA/BA/IB ATI is approved.

It also argues against any limitations on AA/BA NYC-LHR flying like the DoJ proposed in its recommendations for slot divestments and route carve-outs. It demonstrates that competitors have no trouble flying NYC-LHR.

I guess you forgot didnt UA give up its JFK-LHR flights?

No, I did not forget that UA ended its JFK-LHR flights. That's why I posted that the CO buildup at EWR will give UA customers in NYC even more options to get to LHR without connecting at IAD. Try to keep up.

Perhaps you should stick to posting facts and your opinions about those facts and resist the temptation to speculate about what others may remember or may have forgotten?