Continental fires US pilot suspected of drinking

I congratulate CO on this decision.

But again, how can we, as industry, help our colleagues that have substance abuse problems? It is wrong to say that pilots do not have substance problems - no one is perfect.

How can we help our fellow aviation family with this?

There are many routes within the CO pilot ranks for a individual to get help with this type of problem or any others.

If the facts bare out his guilt, I say sorry for him, but good bye!

I dont use drugs or drink,I take my job dealing with aircraft dead serious.So in my eyes I am glad to see him go.Anyone who shows up for work other than 100% sober and drug free needs to be shown the door.I don't want them near any aircraft for any reason.If you have a problem drinking or using drugs then you need to ask for help before you get in trouble,and trash your career.Which the company offers.Afterward is to late SEEEEE YAAAAA!!!

You know Whknight, your holier than thou attitude is not appreciated or apropriate. Whether the pilot in question deserves to be fired is not for you, or anyone else who puts their two cents worth in here, to say. What that pilot, who was fired, deserves is some help.

The company, thanks to some bad press, and the government, has gained additional leverage over pilots careers. What are you, and your union going to do to regain some of that leverage back???

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 3:38:22 AM CALFLYBOY wrote:

You know Whknight, your "holier than thou" attitude is not appreciated or apropriate. Whether the pilot in question deserves to be fired is not for you, or anyone else who puts their two cents worth in here, to say. What that pilot, who was fired, deserves is some help.

The company, thanks to some bad press, and the government, has gained additional leverage over pilots careers. What are you, and your union going to do to regain some of that leverage back???
----------------
[/blockquote]
Well being I fly,and my family flys.I do have some say so.I do not condone drinking and flying period.I believe if your dumb enough to do it , good bye and good riddens.As for leverage....don't be dumb enough to give the company the help in getting it by performing stupid acts.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/1/2002 7:50:59 PM CALFLYBOY wrote:

OH like you're so above performing "stupid acts." Don't forget whtknight you're just as human as the pilot who got fired. Glass houses baby!
----------------
[/blockquote]
Well lets see,been working for the airlines 18 years in just a few days.Ya know what....in all those years I have not shown up for work drunk or drugged,Geeez is it really that hard to understand not everyone needs a drink or drugs in thier life.If you do need drugs or drink in your life....try another career.As Aviation and drugs,and drink don't mix.Oh yes and I am above performing stupid acts like drinking and working on aircraft.Ever seen an airliner crash???I have seen several.Seen a United 737 with a gear up landing(flash light left in mlg ww),A new United 747 nose up landing(new aircraft bolt not sercured),those two had outstanding crews,as they made it in without anyone dieing(I guess that crew didn't drink).Seen a 737 land on a small prop commuter,everyone died in that one.Bottom line is this.......people die do to errors and malfunctions,Do you really believe it is ok to drink and fly even once???say you have a buzz,and forget to put in o rings in all 3 engines on a DC10.It takes off and loses all its oil in all three engines and you have three engines shut down within minutes of each other and youre 1,000 miles out over the ocean.That crew managed to crash in the water in flordia off the beach.They hadn't been drinking.Maybe the mechanic did,screwing up on 3 engines.bottom line again people died and the airline lost millions of dollars.Aviation is a very serious line of work.If you can't handle it get the hel* out before you kill someone.No sorrow here for drunks or drug users.No matter what you contend I will never agree to a second chance.Better off without them.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/5/2002 12:26:46 AM Obregon wrote:

Apparently you have "seen" so much in your career. I don't think there is a Pilot in the U.S. that thinks it is OK to show up for work drunk. Save the lecture for church. At least then I won't have to hear it. You get a gold star. Make sure you tell your mom.
----------------
[/blockquote]

My sentiments exactly Obregon!

Apparently you have seen so much in your career. I don't think there is a Pilot in the U.S. that thinks it is OK to show up for work drunk. Save the lecture for church. At least then I won't have to hear it. You get a gold star. Make sure you tell your mom.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/5/2002 12:44:24 AM CALFLYBOY wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/5/2002 12:26:46 AM Obregon wrote:

Apparently you have "seen" so much in your career. I don't think there is a Pilot in the U.S. that thinks it is OK to show up for work drunk. Save the lecture for church. At least then I won't have to hear it. You get a gold star. Make sure you tell your mom.
----------------
[/blockquote]

My sentiments exactly Obregon!

----------------
[/blockquote]
Figures....no viable arguement on your parts,that in response you attack me like children.I figured as pilots you would be more apt in your responses.I was wrong.As for not thinking there isn't a pilot that knows it's wrong to drink and fly,you seem to support that it is very much okay,in your attacks on me peronally and my views on it.If I drink and go to work I get fired.Period.No second chance for me,why should it be any different for a pilot?
This didn't have to be long and drawn out,as you are sick of reading it.Quit attacking me and trying to convince me it is acceptable even once.
If you want to continue on in this,why don't you lose the cal in your screenname as it reflects baddly on cal.
As for church maybe you should try it sometime.As I enjoy the semons.
As for mom she agrees with my views as does my dad,and everyone at work.As i enjoy printing out this column and posting it at work.
Okay your turn....lets hear the comments from the kiddies corner....

----------------
[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

Lets not and say we didnt. Any more kiddie comments and the thread will be closed. If anyone would like to add something constructive, please feel free.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/11/2002 2:51:59 PM scot wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

Lets not and say we didnt. Any more "kiddie comments" and the thread will be closed. If anyone would like to add something constructive, please feel free.

----------------
[/blockquote]
Thank you

whtknight, just because you may not use alcohol does not give you the right to ridicule those who do. Did that pilot deserve to be fired? It's not for me to say. I am not close to the story. I don't know the facts. What I do know is someone like you with your narrow, self righteous opinion is tacky and undeserved. My opinion from my original post on this thread still stands. And no I will not be removing cal from my screen name any time soon. Remember, as I have already stated, we are all human, and as humans, we all make mistakes. Your first mistake is not seeing the grey area in this issue when you most likely don't have all the facts. This so called new era we live has given the company and the government license to eradicate certain job protections that were fought for by pilots previously. Your gloating about the situation is not necessary. And that is my point.

Hey you want to close, it close it. The comments were an appropriate response in their reaching nature as to whom they were aimed towards. I was being ridiculous, as hypocrisy, to the original author. The man, in my opinion, is being critical to make himself feel better.