Contract 101 Fleet

Solidarity

Advanced
Aug 26, 2005
Lets put aside the seniority issues with integration and look at a contract.

All a union wants is your dues. Whats best for us? Take a look at this contract
http://local580.twuatd.org/ and I geel in five minutes your decision will be simple.

This contract is amendable today and input is vital from all fleet service agents around the system.

We are a new airline and I don't want to wait until 2009 to start negotiations with the currant IAM contract. How strong will we be after the new company contracts out all field stations?

a lot of US Airways field stations were outsourced by June 30th due to the IAM Fleet leaders (if you want to call them that) FAILURE to negogiate something better. The Field Stations voted not outsource ourselves, however, the hubs took good care of the exact oppiste and dont give a rats a$$ about it!

robbedagain said:
a lot of US Airways field stations were outsourced by June 30th due to the IAM Fleet leaders (if you want to call them that) FAILURE to negogiate something better. The Field Stations voted not outsource ourselves, however, the hubs took good care of the exact oppiste and dont give a rats a$$ about it!
[post="292922"][/post]​

What about the IAM leaders? Do they care?

robbedagain said:
The Field Stations voted not outsource ourselves, however, the hubs took good care of the exact oppiste and dont give a rats a$$ about it!
[post="292922"][/post]​

Can you blame the agents in the hubs for wanting to save their own jobs? I don't.

D M G said:
Can you blame the agents in the hubs for wanting to save their own jobs? I don't.
[post="293008"][/post]​
can you blame the agents in the mid sized cities for not wanting to be outsourced?

robbedagain said:
can you blame the agents in the mid sized cities for not wanting to be outsourced?
[post="293043"][/post]​

Absolutely not. Unfortunately for them the IAM put the wrong people in the wrong positions. You have to blame the IAM, not the employee voting to save his/her job.

D M G said:
[post="293008"][/post]​

This kind of apathy is what is rendering organized labor in the United States powerless.

"Screw those guys, I've got mine and I'm keeping it."

Look at what happened when Gate Gourmet fired 800 people in the States, the British union walked in solidarity.

An ocean away and they demonstrate solidarity with foreigners, people they'll never meet, just people who happen to do the same job and stood up for what they believed.

In this country, we see PHL and CLT throw the outstations to the wolves and more recently, we see NWA ALPA, PFAA and the vaunted "Fighting Machinist" of the IAM not only crossing a picket line, but in the case of the IAM actively seeking and getting "Struck Work".

Gate Gourmet did not fire 800 people in the states, they fired 660 at LHR and brought in Temps, then BA workers walked out in sympathy.

It is not I got mine mentality of unions it is the "ME Generatation" who only cares about themselves.

And the laws in Europe are much better for labor then what we have in the US.

LGA Fleet Service said:
This kind of apathy is what is rendering organized labor in the United States powerless.
[post="293092"][/post]​

In our case it was the bankruptcy that rendered us powerless. The company wanted XXX amount of jobs gone and were going to get it one way or another. You'd have to be stupid to vote yourself out of a job.

D M G said:
In our case it was the bankruptcy that rendered us powerless. The company wanted XXX amount of jobs gone and were going to get it one way or another. You'd have to be stupid to vote yourself out of a job.
[post="293252"][/post]​

With the IAM contract you in the field stations can vote yourself out of a job.
Check out Section 1 part e in the TWU contract.

HP does not do the ramp in all their stations, there are numerous stations outsourced.

East Coast cities, like EWR, TPA and others.

700UW said:
HP does not do the ramp in all their stations, there are numerous stations outsourced.

East Coast cities, like EWR, TPA and others.
[post="293327"][/post]​

O.K. but lets think about the new company................