Contract Abrogation & Right To Strike

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
From a long law review about contract abrogation. The entire review is attached.

Jim

3. The Right to Strike Preserved

Section 2(First) does not prohibit strikes - it like the other provisions of the RLA, merely intends to prevent them by delaying them. Beyond the Second Circuit, no court has ever even suggested as much (and even that court noted that it was a case of first impression). The only decisions limiting the right to strike either involved bad faith, the status quo obligation, or simply limited the timing or manner of an otherwise valid strike. Thus, beyond Atlantic Coast, nothing in the Railway Labor Act or the resulting jurisprudence precludes employee strikes per se, particularly where employer’s right to self help is also retained (i.e., the Section 6 status quo obligations do not apply).

In fact, the right to strike has never even been challenged in the post-rejection context. For example, the Continental Airlines bankruptcy prompted an immediate strike after the company unilaterally implemented new terms of employment. While the Fifth Circuit did conclude that the strike might limit the amount of back pay available under claims for contract rejection, nowhere did the court (or even the employer) suggest that strike itself was prohibited. Similarly, the employees of Eastern Airlines initiated a strike soon after the employer unilaterally modified working conditions. That strike - which involved numerous allegations of violence and similar illegal conduct - was expressly described as legal. Indeed, the Court even refused to issue an injunction against the illegal strike activity, because it concluded that the Norris-LaGuardia Act prohibited such an injunction before the employer had made sufficient efforts to resolve the conflict voluntarily.

D. The Right to Strike and The Automatic Stay Provisions of the Bankruptcy Code

Thus, it is quite likely that, unless the employer is precluded from unilaterally implementing new terms of employment, the employees will have the right to strike under the RLA. For that reason, it is possible that a carrier would argue that the “automatic stayâ€￾ provisions of Section 362 of the Bankruptcy Code apply to striking employees. To date, this argument has failed to convince the Courts of Appeals in the NLRA context - and absent a Section 2(First) prohibition, there is no reason to believe that the RLA context is any different.

E. Conclusion: The Right to Strike Preserved

When it enacted Section 1113, Congress relieved employers of their Section 6 responsibilities - it provided employers with a shortcut to unilateral implementation. While nothing explicit was directed towards the right to strike, it seems almost absurd to suggest that Congress intended to

(1) relieve employers of their responsibilities under an otherwise valid collective bargaining agreement,

(2) permit debtors to unilaterally implement terms of employment without first adhering to Section 2(First) and Section 6, while at the same time

(3) compelling employees to accept the employer’s proposals and

(4) prohibiting the peaceful exercise of their right to strike without resorting to the RLA procedures they were denied in the first place.

It almost seems that folks on these boards would dance with glee if one of our unions would just call a strike. A final "we'll show em".

Well, be careful what you wish for. No one is happy with current events, but we're not all ready to pack it in either.

A320 Driver

320....you have no idea how many ARE READY to pack it in. There is NO future with this company with what they are imposing on labor. Only a future for the select few. And thats not fair to all those who gave so much before me or you, and after we're long gone. If you want to be someone's lap puppy, thats your choice, but most of us have more self respect and limits to what we'll give for a place that doesnt want or respect us.

This job is just a stepping stone for us who have a skill to take with them. Some groups are stuck where they are. It is n :D ot a career anymore. Time to move on!!!

You have to remember once a contract is abrogated you are an employee at will, therefore you do not have to report to work.

You do not work under a contract anymore, just company policy.

700UW said:
You have to remember once a contract is abrogated you are an employee at will, therefore you do not have to report to work.

You do not work under a contract anymore, just company policy.
[post="198498"][/post]​

So we can all stay home and get paid? Yahoo!!!!

N628AU said:
Also means the Company can fire anyone they want, with or without good reason. The knife cuts both ways.
[post="198504"][/post]​
if the company fires you at will for no reason then can we fire back at them wiht some hefty lawsuits say against the mgt team?

For those ready to "pack it in" DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your wanting revenge , your only hurting your fellow co workers and friends, who obviously have chosen to stay! To talk of a stupid strike, is just plain "STUPID" Strikes are valis and can be used when theres something to be gained... THERS NOTHING TO GAIN FROM STRIKING! NAME ONE THING!!!!!!!!! It will never happen, and if it does, ill proudly be a "SCAB" Ill gladly fight a war thats worth fighting, and is based on common sense, this isnt one of them. I dare say any union leaders would believe , theres anything to gain. ANy insite MR 700? Im sure you have some!

The term, employment at will, is to the company's advantage, not the employee's. It means that you have a job as long as the company wills it. You can be fired for any reason as long as the reason does not violate an existing law--such as, Civil Rights, ADA, etc. The reason can be that you don't park straight in your parking spot, or the way you part your hair--just not because you are handicapped or a recognized minority.

If you are an at will employee and you are terminated, in order to sue for damages, you have to be able to show that some law was violated in the termination.

:( usfliboi, you seem soooo proud to say that you are a SCAB!!!! You fight your fight, and I'll fight my fight. This is also about self-respect. There comes a time and yes, a place to stand up for your self and JUST SAY NO! :shock:

First, I owe everyone an apology. I said in the original post that the material was from a law review, but it was actually a presentation at an American Bar Association conference.

Now, to inject a little of my layman's opinion, the majority of the material in the attachment dealt with the abrogation itself. There seem to be little consistency from court to court and circuit to circuit (and no cases mentioned were in the 5th circuit where Judge Mitchell is). With existing contracts (as opposed to cases that come up during negotiation of an initial contract), different courts seem to effectively place the two sides - employer and union - at various points in a semi-section 6 setting. At one extreme, negotiations are expected (but apparently not ordered) to continue. At the other extreme, it is similiar to the completion of section 6 negotiations and both sides are free to use self-help. And anywhere in between.

In short, it appears no one can be sure how the judge will rule absent previous rulings by that judge (or by the appeals court in that circuit) for guidance. The case law is just not settled enough. In that sense, our case could be groundbreaking, at least in the 5th circuit.

I would only add that Judge Mitchell has faced a decision once before on permanent changes to a contract at US Airways and declined the opportunity to rule. That was over termination of the pilots' DB pension plan.

Jim

usfliboi said:
For those ready to "pack it in" DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your wanting revenge , your only hurting your fellow co workers and friends, who obviously have chosen to stay! To talk of a stupid strike, is just plain "STUPID" Strikes are valis and can be used when theres something to be gained... THERS NOTHING TO GAIN FROM STRIKING! NAME ONE THING!!!!!!!!! It will never happen, and if it does, ill proudly be a "SCAB" Ill gladly fight a war thats worth fighting, and is based on common sense, this isnt one of them. I dare say any union leaders would believe , theres anything to gain. ANy insite MR 700? Im sure you have some!
[post="198516"][/post]​

I can't believe you just said that... :angry:

You don't deserve THIS job or any.

You don't deserve to stand next to any employee at U.

Your the type that has reaped all the benefits the union contracts have provided, without you lefting one finger.... only because those before you and after you fought for many, many years for improvements to wages and work conditions...you piece of (damn...deleted by me).

Let me give you an epiphony...if CWA would ever seek "self help" and you crossed that picket line...no one will fly with you, nor will you be able to non-rev anywhere without getting kicked off by either an agent, or a f/a. Your attire will never be deemed appropriate to non-rev.

Trust...we would have your name, and anyone like you.