Contracting Out Seven 757 Heavy Checks

Buck

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
www.fairtax.org
On July 20 Local 514 sent a page to all shop stewards notifying them that Directing Manager of Aircraft Overhaul Mark Easton informed us that American was looking to contract out seven of the upcoming 757 heavy “C” checks. Local 514 officials informed Mr. Easton that we are NOT in agreement with any outsourcing of our work.

We need American Airlines to be successful in the day-to-day business of flying customers. Having our work outsourced due to AA’s inability to plan for the future is not acceptable. We know this only leads to inferior work, delays at the gates and, ultimately, the loss of customers. American knows this too.

Since sending notice to our members we have received some feed back. Mostly about the lack of “working together” being the cause of American Airlines contracting out our work. Let’s be very clear. Although working together has some benefits to our members, our observations are that it has been one sided. Much like when this company informed the union that they were going to get maximum yield out of its different aircraft fleets against the advice of the union counterparts. It was four to five years in the planning stage that put the American fleet in the position of parking 757′s and 737′s for heavy maintenance checks. This predicament didn't just happen in the last six months. It is the same plan that

American took with its 777 landing gear and CFM-56 engines that were contracted out during the working together process for which we disagreed and warned the company years in advance.

Therefore, it is the position of TWU Local 514 that all light and heavy checks of American Airlines aircraft is inherently our work to be preformed by TWU members. We do not need to help American take work from our hands. The work is to be done with 100% compliance of FAA regulations and GPMs and Verbatim to any Airworthiness Directives (AD’s). We have the knowledge, skills, and desire to do this work. In fact, it was less than a year ago when Mr. Easton stated that, “no jets are being sourced to send outside and I have the utmost confidence in my team that we will fix this issue internally!”

American still has facilities at MCI, DWH, DFW, Alliance and more. We are willing to help with solutions – all the company has to do is start listening.

We need to be aware of all the work done in our areas. We need to remain vigilant! So, when you hear of a part not being worked in your area that you have in the past, find out why. Make sure this information is passed on to your shop steward so we keep our work in-house.

Outsource the work, let the grievance get filed, then the company will show the arbitrator what happened when they attempted to implement 7 day coverage within the current labor agreement. Grievance denied.

Reactions: 1 person
Since sending notice to our members we have received some feed back. Mostly about the lack of “working together” being the cause of American Airlines contracting out our work. Let’s be very clear. Although working together has some benefits to our members, our observations are that it has been one sided. Much like when this company informed the union that they were going to get maximum yield out of its different aircraft fleets against the advice of the union counterparts. It was four to five years in the planning stage that put the American fleet in the position of parking 757′s and 737′s for heavy maintenance checks. This predicament didn't just happen in the last six months. It is the same plan that
Is "working together" the same as "shared sacrifice". Maybe Mark Easton should take 8 years worth of concessions before talking to us about "working together". Now that's a great idea!

I thought some of you have said (repeatedly) that management had the ability to outsource overhaul if they wanted to.

Now that they're doing it, the TWU is saying they can't.

Which is it?...

I thought some of you have said (repeatedly) that management had the ability to outsource overhaul if they wanted to.

Now that they're doing it, the TWU is saying they can't.

Which is it?...

Yes the company CAN outsource to an extent. But with this situation, the way I read it is that the TWU is DISAGREEING with the decision to outsource since they have MORE than the capabilities and facilities to do so.
This is typical AA scare tactics in light the upcoming negotiations where it is expected the company will re submit their sweetened POS TA. The TWU's agents have been passing the word around the system that mechanics need to lower their expectations because the company is threatening BK.
The decision to outsource the 757's is the warning shot.

Yes the company CAN outsource to an extent. But with this situation, the way I read it is that the TWU is DISAGREEING with the decision to outsource since they have MORE than the capabilities and facilities to do so.
This is typical AA scare tactics in light the upcoming negotiations where it is expected the company will re submit their sweetened POS TA. The TWU's agents have been passing the word around the system that mechanics need to lower their expectations because the company is threatening BK.
The decision to outsource the 757's is the warning shot.
Bankruptcy threats? Again? Will we hear another well narrated drama about the lawyers walking up the steps to the courthouse when their cell phones rang?

Write this stuff down - perhaps CNBC will make another "Day in the Life .." documentary and show it instead of the first one for a while (I couldn't even watch the first one without laughing). This one would have more drama and might even win them an award - something fit for a soap opera.

Maybe we AA should do what every other airlines does. Outsource ALL it heavy maintance checks.
Just keep the line mechanics. AA then would have no excuse not to pay fed ex or ups rates.
Would that satisfy most mechanics? Just asking.

Maybe we AA should do what every other airlines does. Outsource ALL it heavy maintance checks.
Just keep the line mechanics. AA then would have no excuse not to pay fed ex or ups rates.
Would that satisfy most mechanics? Just asking.

I would not want to see OH outsourced and 1000s of mechanics sent to the street.
No one is asking for UPS or FedEx wages. Hell, we're not even asking for SWA wages.

Reactions: 2 people
Outsource the work, let the grievance get filed, then the company will show the arbitrator what happened when they attempted to implement 7 day coverage within the current labor agreement. Grievance denied.
Exactly. The bases cry they want they didn't want to work seven day coverage, even though when they hired on they where willing to work any hours and etc.. to get the job. Now they cry AA wants to outsource some work. I think its in the current contract that they (AA) can out source as much as they in source (or something to that effect). I guess AA cann't afford all your weekend O/T

The writing is on the walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. The bases cry they want they didn't want to work seven day coverage, even though when they hired on they where willing to work any hours and etc.. to get the job. Now they cry AA wants to outsource some work. I think its in the current contract that they (AA) can out source as much as they in source (or something to that effect). I guess AA cann't afford all your weekend O/T

This is what's called "working together" - don't you see?.

Let them outsource all they want - they do anyway. Guess who gets to fix the screwups? Since when has AA ever sent anything back to a vendor or complained?

The bottom line is more work for the base mechs. This has happened before but evidently our darlings in management seem to feel by doing the same thing, all will be different now with the attendant pixie dust and unicorn farts, as was said by another.

It seems to only take 3-5 years to repeat the lessons of the past - I've seen this cycle 4-5 times now - always the same reinvention of the wheel.

The helluvit is this all could have been avoided. Showing a little (no pun intended) consideration for the workers in the beginning, however slight, may have gone a long way towards defusing the present situation, as opposed to the workers' reaction to the lies and stonewalling by both the company and its union over the past 8 years.

Unfortunately, consideration and honesty towards workers isn't a deductible item for corporate tax purposes, and therefore, would have no meaning to the present crop of bean counters and accountants running the AMR corporation. A real businessman would have recognized this up front and attempted to keep everyone on his side, as best he could, working for the company's best interests.

As it is, every ounce of trust for both the company and its union has been trashed to the point of no return. A full restore and more could take place and nobody would believe it.

One must admire their persistence, however, even though it perfectly fits Einstein's definition of insanity as does our ongoing "negotiations", using the term rather loosely.

Has anyone noticed all the docks in Tulsa are occupied and the ramp is littered with dead airplanes? The mechanics are winning the war of attrition without even trying. Just think if we were unified how many more would be parked. Let them outsource if they can find anyone with open space.

Reactions: 2 people
It is all about yields, for the 757's and the 737's, the aircraft are running out of time. Light "C"'s are due. 1D TULE starts LC 1's today and continues throughout the year, then in January, HC's start.

The company can do what they want. This is similar to closing the smaller stations, therefore creating churn. For the line, you might want to pay attention to this also. Something like this can disturb the lives of the whole system. I know that I have motioned this before, but I did not get a response from Overspeed.

ARTICLE 28 – NO DISCRIMINATION, AND RECOGNITION OF RIGHTS AND COMPLIANCE

The Union recognizes that the Company will have sole jurisdiction of the management and operation of its business, the direction of its working force, the right to maintain discipline and efficiency in its hangars, stations, shops, or other places of employment, and the right of the Company to hire, discipline, and discharge employees for just cause, subject to the provisions of this Agreement. It is agreed that the rights enumerated in this Article will not be deemed to exclude other preexisting rights of management not enumerated which do not conflict with other provisions of this Agreement.

It is all about yields, for the 757's and the 737's, the aircraft are running out of time. Light "C"'s are due. 1D TULE starts LC 1's today and continues throughout the year, then in January, HC's start.
If not for the greedy/compliant mechanics outside of 1D working double shifts this past weekend, your last outbound would not have made 63 of 63. Another missed opportunity to show our discontent.