Cordle of Airline Forecasts Says Delta Bid "Good Deal"

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
"Cordle of Airline Forecasts Says Delta Bid 'Good Deal'"

Bloomberg TV - January 10, 2007

Interview with Vaughn Cordle, Airline Forecasts LLC

Newscaster: Joining us on the phone to discuss the new bid is Vaughn Cordle, he is the CEO of the consulting firm Airline Forecasts, also pilot for a major airline. Vaughn, good morning, good to talk to you again!

Cordle: Good morning Carol.

Newscaster: So what do you make of US Airways new and higher offer for Delta?

Cordle: I think young Doug Parker is going for it, he’s not messing around, he has upped the bid price by about $1.7 billion, which would value the company at $10.2 billion which is, in our view, at least $2 billion more than what Delta management can offer.

Newscaster: Ok Vaughn, as you well know, Delta’s board rejected the earlier offer from US Airways, saying it was better off as an independent airline. Will this higher offer even change their mind or will they wait for even another offer from US Airways?

Cordle: I think this bid should be viewed as a bear hug; it is no longer a hostile bid in my view, the creditors will be hard pressed to not accept this deal. It is in fact accretive to US Air in terms of the earnings post merger. It’s the revenue synergies that count, which US Air is estimating about $935 million, and those values, that value is worth whatever the cost the capital is or the reciprocal cost the capital, which is the PE, which will go down once the companies merge. So this is good news, I think, for the industry, I think its good news for Delta’s creditors and I think its good news for US Airs shareholders, I think its great news for labor of both parties. I believe in the end it will benefit the consumers.

Newscaster: Wait, it sounds like you think it’s a done deal.

Cordle: I don’t know if it’s a done deal or not, because DOJ, Justice Department, will have to weigh in on it, there will be some carve-outs, and they will have to eliminate one of the two shuttles they have on the East coast. But even with a reduction in capacity, which is estimated about 10 percent, which probably will be more than that, after it’s all said and done, you still have significant revenue synergies and some cost synergies and the net of this deal is it’s a good deal.

Newscaster: Alright, but do you think, it sounds like you think it will ultimately be a deal that does get done?

Cordle: I think it’s fifty-fifty, its hard to speculate on what the Justice department will do, the DOJ has to weigh in on this issue.

Newscaster: So what’s the biggest sticking issue at this point, anti trust concerns?

Cordle: Anti-trust concerns and congressional hearings that will be held, Democrats apparently, based on some comments coming from some of the chairmen of the committees, are opposed to mergers and consolidation in general.

Newscaster: Alright, they are supposed to look at this later this month actually.

Cordle: Right, so, the public sentiment, generally speaking, people think bigger airlines are bad news for consumers, but I think in this case the revenue and cost synergies are so great that the consumer can benefit in part from the synergies and it will result in a more stable airline and ultimately better service.

Newscaster: So Vaughn, do you think it’s just a matter of time that we hear from Delta saying let’s do this deal and then let’s see what DOJ says?

Cordle: Well, Delta, the management has exclusive rights until February, some date, I can’t remember off the top of my head, of offering a reorganization plan, but the unsecured creditors and the creditors committee, in my view, will be hard-pressed to turn down this deal.

Newscaster: Alright, do the creditors have a lot of voting power here, if you will, and just quickly?

Cordle: Yes I think they do, they have Coca-Cola, they’ve got Boeing, you’ve got Pilots, Alpa on the board, you’ve got a lot of folks. The final analysis, who can create the most value, and I think it’s the merged entity, Delta’s management’s argument has always been a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, the risk of DOJ turning it down up to a year.

Newscaster: Vaughn, yeah, we’ve got to leave it there, we appreciate your time this morning, Vaughn Cordle of Airline Forecasts.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Below is what the author of the original post, USA320Pilot, has said about Vaughn Cordle (the analyst he quotes) in the past. The bolding is mine.

So I ask: Why post this in support of the merger? Either Cordle has right all along (and 320 "shot the messenger") or it's a reach to post the views of an analyst whom the original poster clearly finds to be wrong. Interesting, eh?

It is worth noting that this is not the first time that USA320Pilot has quoted Cordle in defense of something--however, whenever Cordle says something contrary to the 320 view, he is described thusly:

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21153&st=0&p=288802&#entry288802)

Vaughan Cordle is a UAL B-777 Captain who began his career at the Chicago-based airline by crossing ALPA's picket line as a B727 replacement and new hire pilot. Cordle started his own business and is trying to create another job, although he is a current United line pilot.

A few months ago Cordle was misquoting information in the media, which the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review kept publishing even after US Airways ALPA MEC Chairman Bill Pollock and Communications Committee Chairman Jack Stephen repeatedly objected to the newspaper and its editor.

Because the newspaper did not respond to ALPA's complaints against Staff Writer Steve Halvonik's inappropriate use of Cordle, the union informed the editor that if they wanted to get ALPA's opinion or a quote, the Tribune-Review should contact the Pittsburgh Posts-Gazette. In response the Tribune-Review switched airline reporters to Tom Olsen, but this did not change the MEC's position and to this day the pilot union will not provide any information or give an interview to the Tribune-Review over their previous use of Vaughan Cordle as a "so called" industry expert.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=19154&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=256260)
I believe it is important to note that Vaughn Cordle is being proven wrong too, as management continues with its transfromation of the airline to make it more competitive during difficult economic times.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18874&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=250994)
With all due respect, Vaughn Cordle is not an ALPA member, he crossed the ALPA picket line to fly UAL jets during the strike as a new hire from another company, and had the US Airways MEC chairman publicly chastise him.

Cordle is not respected within ALPA or E&FA and he paid to join some of the organizations you listed.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18874&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=250849)
But the 570 supported ALPA and the scabs were the fleet qualified pilots like Cordle, but 700UW, do not let the facts get into the way again.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18874&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=250831)
The scabs were the fleet qualifed people who crossed the picket line and flew like Vaughn Cordle, which Bill Pollock indicated, versus the 570 who walked the picket line.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18874&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=250729)
Vaughn Cordle was a B727 Fleet Qualified pilot who crossed the picket line and went to work at United.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18874&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=250313)
As far as Cordle, he is a "fraud" and a non-ALPA member, even though he is a UAL B777 Captain. Cordle is entitled to his opinion. The issue ALPA & I have is that the newspaper does not disclose his background and motivation, which is nothing more than "tabloid" reporting.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18277&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=238609)
Vaughn Cordle, the CEO of Airline Economics, a firm of one individual, has been recently commenting in the news media regarding US Airways' formal reoganization. Cordle believes that US Airways will be liquidated by March and is continually quoted in the Charlotte Observer and Pittsburgh Tribune Review.

In my opinion, Cordle has no access to US Airways corporate information and is uninformed.

It is my understanding Cordle is a United Airlines pilot who was hired in May 1985 as a Fleet Qual. Fleet Quals were hired by Dick Ferris to cross the ALPA picket line during the strike, which Cordle did to help break the union in its fight against the "B" scale. Cordle has been refused acceptance into ALPA and his comments should be taken with a grain of salt, considering his background and conflict of interest.

(http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=37&t=18163&hl=Cordle&view=findpost&p=236615)
People like Vaughn Cordle and Mike Boyd do not clearly look at the numbers, SEC filings, or know what is happening inside the company. Cordle is a United pilot, is clearly uninformed, and has a special interest.

"Cordle of Airline Forecasts Says Delta Bid 'Good Deal'"

USA320Pilot

Too bad Vaughn Cordle is a poorly regarded as our local airline expert, USA 320.

Both of these guys have a record of kicking the junior and crossing their union brothers if there's anything they can get for themselves...

USA320 and Vaughn Cordle, Perfect Together!

Can you spell S-C-A-B?

ClueByFour,

I find your post interesting. I simply posted an interview conducted on Bloomberg TV -- no more, no less, for other people to view.

I find it interesting that you need to go into the archives to discuss a previous point, whatever that is. :huh: :huh: :huh: I do not have a lot of respect for Cordle, but apparently Bloomberg does.

In regard to Cordle, he was a "Fleet Qual" I believe on the B-727 who crossed the ALPA picket line during the 1985 strike, unlike those of us who supported ALPA and its position, even if it cost us our position with the comapny.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P,

USA320Pilot said: “I find it interesting that you need to go into the archives to discuss a previous point, whatever that is.â€￾

L4P said: “As they say, you are what you post...â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: Considering your decorum, you’re right. When would now be a good time for you to learn respect? By the way, did you choke when you saw US Airways’ revised offer to acquire?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P,

USA320Pilot said: “I find it interesting that you need to go into the archives to discuss a previous point, whatever that is.â€￾

L4P said: “As they say, you are what you post...â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: Considering your decorum, you’re right. When would now be a good time for you to learn respect? By the way, did you choke when you saw US Airways’ revised offer to acquire?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Respect is earned. You do not qualify. You see I will stand by my post, but when yours are brought back to light you always try to wiggle out of them. Why is that?

As to your second question.....big ol' belly laugh. doogie says that DL's valuation is way off and then comes back and makes an offer which confirms DL's numbers. Sounds like he got told to pound salt.....AGAIN. I will give credit where credit is due, he does know how to run a ponzi scheme.

And by setting a 2/01 date to withdraw the offer he is looking for a graceful way out....unlike a certain bend over babe who post here.

Doesn't say much about Bloomberg, now does it.

They will bring in a street walker if she'll say what they want her to say...and proclaim her an expert. And she is...just not a airline industry "expert".

I think I'll become an expert next week.

L4P,

Do you think many people value your opinion when you insult other's? Does it make you feel good to hide behind a PC, which I believe is cowardly, and insult people?

With all due respect, I truly feel sorry for you. Instead of hating US Airways so much, why don't you do something positive instead?

Remember as Sir Winston Churchill said, "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

L4P,

Do you think many people value your opinion when you insult other's? Does it make you feel good to hide behind a PC, which I believe is cowardly, and insult people?

With all due respect, I truly feel sorry for you. Instead of hating US Airways so much, why don't you do something positive instead?

Remember as Sir Winston Churchill said, "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
see post #9. Not worth the effort to repeat it.

So is Cordle right this time?

I'm betting you won't answer that, because if you do it's going to be very hard to defend your "posture" in regards to what he has written in the past.

My point is that not only are you incredibly transparent when trying to "spin" the news to fit your views, you don't even exclude using quotes from an analyst who you previously trashed.

So, I ask again: do you agree with this "uninformed" (and I'll leave out quoting all the other things you called him in the past) analyst this time?

So which is it--does Cordle know what he's talking about or did you just post an article that's clearly untrue (if we take your previous comments about Cordle to heart)?

Spin away. This is like clubbing baby seals, but using the search function is slightly less effort......

*WHOMP* at 11......

ClueByFour,

I find your post interesting. I simply posted an interview conducted on Bloomberg TV -- no more, no less, for other people to view.

I find it interesting that you need to go into the archives to discuss a previous point, whatever that is. :huh: :huh: :huh: I do not have a lot of respect for Cordle, but apparently Bloomberg does.

In regard to Cordle, he was a "Fleet Qual" I believe on the B-727 who crossed the ALPA picket line during the 1985 strike, unlike those of us who supported ALPA and its position, even if it cost us our position with the comapny.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320pilot.....

Ya' know what? I say we (US employees) bag this whole DAL merger idea! My blood is really starting to boil.
After reading all the negative energy and US bashing going on on this board for two months now I have re-reached the conclusion that I had about DAL before the merger was announced. This conclusion was formed from, among other things "attempting" to organize DAL F/A's. JFK DAL folks are mostly exempt form this BTW.

It is that I think US mgmt. should look at some other carrier to merge with if that is what they are determined to do. The company is just way too incompatible with nearly any other airline I can think of.
Like a cult.

We could then sit back and laugh as NWA and DAL employees fight with each other and all the anti-union ATL folks get a nice, big union shoved down their throats and have to deal with NWA's horrible "Yankees" from MSP / DTW!!! Talk about a civil war! Northern vs. Southern. All the employees who fought US and then approve of a merge with NWA will be very sorry!!

FF's?? So NWA would be better than US?? Oh yea, NWA has stellar customer service! Come on...give me a break! :huh:

I suggest that US mgmt. look at doing a deal with UAL or perhaps merge with AirTran and then go right into the heart of DAL's bread and butter if they want ATL> Whatever.

We have had plenty of crews insulted and treated quite rudely in the past few months by DAL crews.
That is not a nice thing to do to fellow airline employees and it is growing quite tiresome. :angry:

Yvrusfa,

Maybe you’re right.

I have talked to people in management, the news media, airline analysts, and investment bankers about the merger proposal and Delta’s standalone business plan. The one common denominator: Delta’s standalone business plan will have poor margins because they have not cut enough costs during bankruptcy.

The Delta employee attitude towards US Airways employees is truly sad and I believe is more about fear and uncertainty than their character. It’s fueled by misinformation by management, ALPA, and its congressional delegation. Nonetheless, the poor attitude is still there and is condescending because as you know "perception is reality".

What makes an airline merger work is not great management, but the ability to cut costs when one company is in bankruptcy. For example, there is reason to believe that the New Delta would reject Delta’s new terminal in Boston and for the two companies to consolidate operations in US Airways’ current facility. This would eliminate a huge cost, increase profitability, and permit the Delta portion of the combined operation to become profitable.

It’s these type of steps added up along revenue synergies that creates at least $1.65 billion in total synergies that I understand would create about $1 billion per year in additional profits.

You cannot get huge profits and job stability unless you remove costs because so many of them are fixed. How do you remove costs? By rejecting leases/contracts due to bankruptcy court flexibility.

Maybe the best option would be for Delta to emerge standalone, US Airways and Northwest to merge while the Eagan-based carrier is in bankruptcy and then let America, United, Delta, and Continental figure out what to do with none of them in bankruptcy and their ability to reduce costs dramatically reduced.

Then maybe Delta employees would see the value of the US Airways merger because Delta would not be competitive and they might have to take additional pay and benefit costs when the next terrorist attack hits and they cannot compete with the New Northwestâ€.

Finally, I believe the true problem here is Delta senior management. Why? The only way they will get huge bonus payments, which they left out of their POR/Disclosure Statement, through equity based compensation, is to emerge from bankruptcy standalone and issue new stock. Furthermore, much of Delta senior management stands to lose their jobs, which is why the Delta “executive suite†misrepresents information about the proposed merger.

I believe the WAJ and Gordon Bethune hit the nail on the head earlier this week when Susan Carey wrote, "I have been a proponent of stabilizing the industry by consolidating," Bethune said. "The barrier to consolidation has been as much testosterone as it is the government," referring to airline executives who can't decide which CEO and management teams will run the combined airline. "Somebody's got to leave. That's always a big impediment to consolidation," he said.

With that said, the WSJ also reported Gordon Bethune met with Delta executives late last week to review their standalone plan, and then with the Delta creditors committee at yesterday's meeting. People who have met with Mr. Bethune in recent days say he has indicted he thinks a Delta merger with US Airways makes sense and could win antitrust approval from U.S. regulators.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

P.S. I believe more than ever the end result for Delta and its employees is a fragmentation of the company and Delta ALPA could be a major contributing factor. If this occurs, I wonder how the line employees will feel when the could have had a job at their current company and maintained or increased their pay and benefits to being unemployed. Regardless of how a person feels on whether or not this could happen, it's a bankruptcy risk and could be just how Delta treated Pan Am employees.

After all, as the Motley Fool wrote yesterday, "With each passing day, it becomes increasingly likely that Delta Air Lines, the nation's third-largest carrier, will soon be no more.

See Story

Would you stop lying and trying to scare the DL employees all ready.

NO WHERE IN THE POR or ANYWHERE else has there been anything said about DL being fragmented.

Give it a break all ready, no one believes anything you have to say, your credibility is shot.

Latest posts