Corporate Culture Survey--Revisited

2clippedwings

Veteran
Dec 24, 2002
PIT deportee
www.usaviation.com
After reading Mark My Words experience as an internal customer I thought that it was time to revisit the Employee Survey results, June 30, 2006. SURVEY SAYS:

1. I understand the direction of US as communicated by Doug and members of senior management.
Favorable: 46% Unfavorable: 21%

2.I receive timely information about US from internal communication sources (Hub, Compass, AboutUS, etc).
Favorable: 53% Unfavorable: 21%

3.I receive local information about my station/department on a regular basis.
Favorable: 33% Unfavorable: 41%

4.I have enough freedom in my position to do what is right for the customer.
Favorable: 43% Unfavorable: 32%

5.I have the resouces to do my job.
Favorable: 35% Unfavorable: 40%

6.I work with a leader that is visible and available.
Favorable: 40% Unfavorable: 39%

7. I work in a department that values open and honest communication.
Favorable: 35% Unfavorable: 43%

8.I work in a department where employees are focused on fixing problems, rather than finding someone to blame.
Favorable: 33% Unfavorable: 44%

9.I am encouraged to share my concerns, opinions and ideas with my leader.
Favorable: 37% Unfavorable: 41%

10. I am encouraged to find more cost-effective ways to do my job.
Favorable: 32% Unfavorable: 41%

11.I know what is expected of me.
Favorable: 72% Unfavorable: 11%

12.I feel valued.
Favorable: 26% Unfavorable: 54%

13. I feel my job contributes to the success of the company.
Favorable: 76% Unfavorable: 12%

14. I feel we are all in this together.
Favorable: 47% Unfavorable: 36%

15. I am proud to work for USAirways.
Favorable: 53% Unfavorable: 24%

Overall results
Favorable: 44% Unfavorable: 33%

Now, I know this will probably be a slam-fest BUT try to restrain yourselves and put some thought into your responses. ;)

These results are broad-brushed indicators. Too bad we don't have it broken down by department. I suspect mine (pilots) would reflect very different numbers.

For instance number 6: "I work for a leader that is visible and available."

Most pilots wouldn't recognize their immediate boss if they tripped over them on the street. And those that do recognize him, would probably attempt to trip them! But anyone who has done something as horrendous as flying 30 minutes less than their "obligation" in a month would find out quickly just how "available" their boss was by telephone.

These percentages are totally unreflective of the Flight Operations Department, IMHO.

I'm sure some bean counter is breaking it down by department and hopefully top management is taking the neccessary actions.

These results are broad-brushed indicators. Too bad we don't have it broken down by department. I suspect mine (pilots) would reflect very different numbers.

These percentages are totally unreflective of the Flight Operations Department, IMHO.

The company actually did post the results for different departments. By and large, the pilots and mechanics had the highest percentage of unfavorable votes. On the flip side, reservation agents and, not surprisingly, management, had the most favorable results. For question six nearly 60% of pilots voted unfavorably while roughly 22% voted favorably. Contrastly, management had nearly 75% vote favorably and only 15% vote unfavorably. So yes, the overall results were ussually unreflective of the Flight Ops Department.

Well then, the usual USAirways management response would be to outsource more flying and cut pilot salaries until they're happy! B)

After reading Mark My Words experience as an internal customer I thought that it was time to revisit the Employee Survey results, June 30, 2006. SURVEY SAYS:

When you can't afford the answer, don't ask the question or as the Survey did ask vague questions that don't mean a thing. They will not break it down by department because individuals could readily be identified. Vague is safe!

Honestly, the survey was a waste of time.

It doesn't address any problems, nor does it suggest solutions.

It's more of a Misery Meter than anything else.

My (unsolicited) suggestion is next time, save a few trees, some electricity and some ink. Have the minor functionary who recorded the yes and no answers assigned to some worthwhile task.

Stop wasting our time and fix the airline.

Prince,

I sense your frustration. I worked for a company for 12 years that did these surveys every year.

The change that occurs from them is agonizingly slow, but none the less it occurs. Hang in there and keep doing the best you can. Your customers appreciate your efforts.

Thanks! It's nice to know we have passengers who care.

I always wondered if the rationale behind the survey was to show investors how "happy" the employees were. Like a sort of perverse equation: "Happy employees = low chance of shirt loss" or something in a similar, inane vein.

That's it! It's the "Cost to Misery" ratio! I knew it had a name! :blink:

Corporate Culture Survey rates right up they’re with the old round table meetings that the east stations had with management. They talk we listen if you were outspoken your station manager was called