Could Hp Have To Give Up Dca Slots?

sand2snow

Aug 25, 2003
If US-HP merge what is the possibility that HP would have to give up some if not all there DCA exemption slots?

Yes, it's possible. TWA's slots were taken away when AA took over. Funny, I just flew into DCA this morning. The River Visual 19 is especially fun at the end of a redeye.

They have 3 nonstops from PHX and 2 from LAS, but they also have John McCain bought, so they will probably keep one or two.

It would suck to lose the nonstops, I'm non-revving to DCA in a few weeks, much nicer than going to BWI or IAD.

I can't imagine McCain losing nonstop PHX service, so whatever the merged airline becomes (if it happens) will probably keep some of them. If they were smart, they would work out a deal to surrender with-in perimeter slots in exchange for keeping all the 'McCain' slots.

I assume the type of transaction would play a role as well, since TW became part of AA. Would HP be forced to give up the slots if US was merged into HP, who then turned around and changed their name to US?

If this goes through, I hope HP's slots are taken away and re-distributed. Of course the new HP/US would be allowed to apply for them and McCain would make sure PHX has some flights, but IMHO it is a joke that LAS/PHX have 5 daily RTs and the entire state of California has 1 RT to DCA....

whlinder said:
I can't imagine McCain losing nonstop PHX service, so whatever the merged airline becomes (if it happens) will probably keep some of them. If they were smart, they would work out a deal to surrender with-in perimeter slots in exchange for keeping all the 'McCain' slots.

I assume the type of transaction would play a role as well, since TW became part of AA. Would HP be forced to give up the slots if US was merged into HP, who then turned around and changed their name to US?

If this goes through, I hope HP's slots are taken away and re-distributed. Of course the new HP/US would be allowed to apply for them and McCain would make sure PHX has some flights, but IMHO it is a joke that LAS/PHX have 5 daily RTs and the entire state of California has 1 RT to DCA....
[post="270004"][/post]​

I don't think any of the exemptions currently fly to California. The only one California ever had, IIRC, is the TWA exemption to LAX. Let's hope for the best. If we are only able to keep one or two, I'd love to see us use the 767's, which I understand are able to take off and land using DCA's main runway. It would be the only widebody service to/from DCA.

DCAflyer said:
I don't think any of the exemptions currently fly to California. The only one California ever had, IIRC, is the TWA exemption to LAX. Let's hope for the best. If we are only able to keep one or two, I'd love to see us use the 767's, which I understand are able to take off and land using DCA's main runway. It would be the only widebody service to/from DCA.
[post="270045"][/post]​

Alaska has the LAX-DCA exemption now. They got it in the last round of awards.

DCAflyer said:
If we are only able to keep one or two, I'd love to see us use the 767's, which I understand are able to take off and land using DCA's main runway. It would be the only widebody service to/from DCA.
[post="270045"][/post]​
That would be cool. I think if this goes through and HPUS keeps the 5 RTs that we will see a larger plane on some of the flights, and if a couple of RTs get taken away the remaining ones should see 757 service at the smallest. (Of course on an HP 757 with a real F class)

Is it correct that a 767 could be used for these flights? IIRC, no airline has ever used an aircraft this large at DCA. I believe a 767 would take somewhere between 7000 and 8000 feet for takeoff if fully loaded. If that's the case, then there's not enough pavement. I may be wrong, but I'm sure someone on this board knows (or can find) the correct numbers.

If it's possible, this would be a huge plus for the combined airline, giving it an advantage over all of its competitors in the market (to LAX, LAS, or PHX).

It would be interesting to see IF the other airlines raise a stink about the slots. If the other airlines don't object, they stay. If they do object, the LAS-DCA slots go way and PHX-DCA stays. Just my thoughts..............

A 767 could be used at DCA. But there are are only 2 gates that are compatible .Forunately USAirways has one of them gate 45.UAL has the other.

Post-911, one of the restrictions put in place before re-opening DCA was a limit on aircraft size of 156 seats. Don't know if that's still in effect.

Jim

Well since DCA/phx and las/dca slots could easily be traded for some other route that usairways now operates ...
I would no be worried about losing slots

Latest posts