Credit Cards and layover hotels

phasersonstun2

Veteran
May 1, 2003
A few months ago after a diversion, my crew and I were put up at the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel. In the morning, I dined on a sumptuous breakfast in the hotel restaurant and paid for said breakfast on my credit card.

Big mistake.

Ten days and a trip later, I checked my bill online. To my astonishment I discovered a charge for some 470 plus dollars from the Radisson Rochester Airport Hotel.

You know where this is going?

That's right, the hotel decided to pull my credit card number from the restaurant and stick me with the rooms for the whole crew. After calling the Radisson Airport Hotel in Rochester and speaking to the accounting manager, he informed me that once my company paid the hotel bill, he would refund my money.

I immediately called my company to tell them what was going on and they were just as shocked as I was. To their credit, they apologized and cleared it up within a couple of hours. The Radisson was less than helpful, and refunded my funds within three business days, which is the time allowed by law.

Was this fraud on the part of the Radisson Airport in Rochester? According to my credit card company, no.

Here's why. In my credit card company's computer, my card was shown present and swiped at the Radisson Rochester Airport hotel some ten days after I left town.

I pointed out to the sales associate at the credit card company that on the same day of my alleged purchase of five hotel rooms I made a purchase at a Circle K a thousand miles away from Rochester at 11:31AM, then the credit card was swiped at 12:06PM at the Rochester Radisson Airport and later that day at 6:44PM again was swiped a thousand miles away at a Sushi restaurant.

This sent me through the roof.

Not only did the hotel fraudulently use my credit card number, but made it so I could not prove them wrong.

Moral: I will NEVER use my credit card in any layover hotel or any restaurant affiliated with the hotel again.

I haven't been a US flight attendant for 10 years, but this post reminded me of a situation that took some time to correct. One of my favorite trips was a particular red-eye to SEA. At the time we stayed downtown at a Seattle Stouffer's , i believe.

About six weeks after i was last in Seattle, i received a bill from USAir for over $200.00 worth of charges from my "mini bar".

Nonetheless, i wrote a detailed letter to the hotel. Also, i believe i was being set up. Early one morning, someone kept calling my hotel room. I believe they were checking to see if i was in the room.

Well, i was exonerated from this fiasco. Who can you trust? I am glad i transferred to the ground, in some respect.

Latest posts