Crew Cancellatyons

bunt3dunk

Aug 17, 2008
Anyone else notice the high numbers of flights cancelled due to crew shortages ? flights cancelled all over the system yesterday , it seems that the cross utilization of aircrafts and the AA way of trip pairing is having major problems.

with all the cancelations due to storms were crews out of position?

Could it possibly be USAIR with their restrictions north to south flying and east to west flying that makes it more difficult to schedule crews during a OSO operation?

Reactions: 1 person
1AA said:
Could it possibly be USAIR with their restrictions north to south flying and east to west flying that makes it more difficult to schedule crews during a OSO operation?

The only restriction remaining is the divide between the east and west pilots.  The metal is interchangeable, and the flight attendants can now work with each other.

robbedagain said:
i thought the East pilots and West pilots could fly each others' metals now that US and AA merged?

They can, just not with each other...

The Airbus 320 fleet can be flown by either side and the 757's can be flown by either side. The 767 and A330 and 190's can only be flown by the East.

I think the FA's are almost fully interchangeable, and can fly with either East or West pilots. I would imagine the West FA's cannot fly the 767, A330 or 190 either as they have not went through the training... But maybe they have, I don't know... 

algflyr said:
They can, just not with each other...

The Airbus 320 fleet can be flown by either side and the 757's can be flown by either side. The 767 and A330 and 190's can only be flown by the East.

I think the FA's are almost fully interchangeable, and can fly with either East or West pilots. I would imagine the West FA's cannot fly the 767, A330 or 190 either as they have not went through the training... But maybe they have, I don't know...
Wow and to think that USAIR management is telling us AAER'S how screwed up our operation is. Thank goodness we AMT's are not Boeing or airbus only technicians or narrow body and wide body only technicians.

1AA said:
Wow and to think that USAIR management is telling us AAER'S how screwed up our operation is. Thank goodness we AMT's are not Boeing or airbus only technicians or narrow body and wide body only technicians.

I'm sure the AA pilots are the same way. A 777 pilot cannot fly the 767's... It's different for the flight crews...

At US east, the 767 and 757 are one type for pilot bidding purposes.  The reason the west pilots can't fly the 767 is because the FAA requires a bit (minimal) of differences training and three landings in the type not used for sim training and the original type rating.  The west could accomplish that and their 757 pilots could fly the 767 if the company thought it worth the cost, but evidently they don't.

There are so few 767s left in the US fleet, it's not cost effective.  But I have seen the 767 substituted for a 757 leg here and there, but not often enough to make much difference.

nycbus  may be i mistook your like whereas the pilots divide  that's why i asked  sorry about the misconfusion bro.   thanks algflyr