Crew Scheduling Gone Wild!

trundraguy

Feb 19, 2007
I have never in my life witnessed such a cluster mess or poor planning and reaction on the part of crew scheduling! They have just gone wild. I witnessed early this morning a crew being taken off the 2 day Aruba...names wiped out only to 30 min later have them replace them with Reserves. They refused to reinstate the original crew. So they went home. Then a 767 was downsized to a 757 and the extra FAA required flight attendant calls to ask if she could do something else and was yelled at "NO!, there are extra jumpseat just go" and they hung up on her. Meantime the flight next door cancels for missing a flight attendant. DUH! :blink: There are very set guidelines on "rescheduling" in the contract and if followed are very orderly. I understand they are stressed with the situation but there is no excuse to waisting resources and being downright rude. They refused to fill afternoon positions with people sitting in the crew room that wanted to work! I watched 4 go home. Scheduling says "we are not on those trips right now" and 10 minutes later you see a RSV called out for it!
I myself offered help and was hung up on. This is why we need Crew Resource Schedulers in each hub like we used to. They could book hotels and understood what was going on the ground. Now, all we get is a busy signal at OCC! I have never seen a bunch of people that cant get out of their own way. It's like we are the enemy that must be dealt with and they refuse to accept help on the fly. :down:

They get what they give. Yes it goes both ways and I always try to be polite. Is that your excuse for this mess? Oh they can't automate this system fast enough if this is what we have to look forward to. If it were not for the flight attendants they so despise, then what? Every other airline was automated back in 1984 so careful what they wish for. Don't you have a call on hold up in OCC to hang up on?

I had a trip going out at 5:45pm yesterday and called at around 1:30 to let them know I couldn't get into my car. The scheduler said, "Um the only thing we can do is put you in as personal". Then I said, "I hope you all have a good day". The reply, "Yeah you too, your off your trip". CLICK. F you. My friend two streets away was called with a daily trip and he said, "Are you serious"? Do you know what the weather is like here? She said, "I haven't had anyone else tell me anything like that today". What the hell were they thinking yesterday. I know it was a mess but c'mon. Another friend of mine and his crew ferried a 319 from PHL to CLT and the company would not allow them to take passengers. The captain tried fighting with them to let them bring some people. The company told them NO and just take the three whole crews and go. This place is in serious trouble folks. One more ring and we'd be a circus.

Already have a canx for Sun am due no plane/crew out of time. Obviously something is screwed up at skd. 7 flights from TPA alone today canx due no crew. We are now rebooking people out on Wed/Thurs.

Every other airline was automated back in 1984 so careful what they wish for.

I've often wondered about that. Can't computers look after the scheduling function? Run all the permutations and combinations and come up with the best solution?

Not sure that CatCrew or Bornemann would be up to the Job, but Computers can do all kinds of things these days. Why does Scheduling still use humans equipped with a ball of string and a dartboard?

I've often wondered about that. Can't computers look after the scheduling function? Run all the permutations and combinations and come up with the best solution?

Not sure that CatCrew or Bornemann would be up to the Job, but Computers can do all kinds of things these days. Why does Scheduling still use humans equipped with a ball of string and a dartboard?
Do you actually want them to design a program for a computer, the same guys who designed the web site, the same people that were in charge of the cutover?

That would cost money, and US retains that for executive bonuses.

I had a trip going out at 5:45pm yesterday and called at around 1:30 to let them know I couldn't get into my car. The scheduler said, "Um the only thing we can do is put you in as personal". Then I said, "I hope you all have a good day". The reply, "Yeah you too, your off your trip". CLICK. F you. My friend two streets away was called with a daily trip and he said, "Are you serious"? Do you know what the weather is like here? She said, "I haven't had anyone else tell me anything like that today". What the hell were they thinking yesterday. I know it was a mess but c'mon. Another friend of mine and his crew ferried a 319 from PHL to CLT and the company would not allow them to take passengers. The captain tried fighting with them to let them bring some people. The company told them NO and just take the three whole crews and go. This place is in serious trouble folks. One more ring and we'd be a circus.
:lol: You MUST be kidding right, ...."one more ring and we'd be a circus". If you OPEN your eyes you would see this IS A DAMN Circus Ringling Brother's would love to take on the road! I have never seen such a drama filled ClusterF*CK on a daily basis and actually get a good laugh out of this circus.(And to think they make MONEY.....I would like to see the results IF THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING!) :p

They're junior assigning Airbus pilots on the west. Got a call from them tonight looking to JA. Saw it was them and answered because I like living on the edge plus I knew it wasn't for me since I'm on core vacation days. :D

Anyway, it was unfortunate but the person they were looking for wasn't in at the moment. ;)
They politely asked me to relay the message that there "are plenty of trips in open time to pick up and it would help the company out." Yeah...and the company is always interested in "helping out" the employees when they need it...right?

I have never in my life witnessed such a cluster mess or poor planning and reaction on the part of crew scheduling! They have just gone wild. I witnessed early this morning a crew being taken off the 2 day Aruba...names wiped out only to 30 min later have them replace them with Reserves. They refused to reinstate the original crew. So they went home. Then a 767 was downsized to a 757 and the extra FAA required flight attendant calls to ask if she could do something else and was yelled at "NO!, there are extra jumpseat just go" and they hung up on her. Meantime the flight next door cancels for missing a flight attendant. DUH! :blink: There are very set guidelines on "rescheduling" in the contract and if followed are very orderly. I understand they are stressed with the situation but there is no excuse to waisting resources and being downright rude. They refused to fill afternoon positions with people sitting in the crew room that wanted to work! I watched 4 go home. Scheduling says "we are not on those trips right now" and 10 minutes later you see a RSV called out for it!
I myself offered help and was hung up on. This is why we need Crew Resource Schedulers in each hub like we used to. They could book hotels and understood what was going on the ground. Now, all we get is a busy signal at OCC! I have never seen a bunch of people that cant get out of their own way. It's like we are the enemy that must be dealt with and they refuse to accept help on the fly. :down:

If Rob Fuhr was still the Director, you would not be having this kind of 'cluster &*uk' The West Scheduling director is running the scheduling operation and just is not experienced running an East Coast operation with 4 times as many crews than they had on the West.

If Rob Fuhr was still the Director, you would not be having this kind of 'cluster &*uk' The West Scheduling director is running the scheduling operation and just is not experienced running an East Coast operation with 4 times as many crews than they had on the West.
The Flight Attendants on the WEST were being requested for VoL Flying.... Hummm Vol flying or keep my days off... That's a easy choice... :shock: And they wonder why We on the west dont help out... I'm "NOT VALUED" for the same six dollars my co worker has on east gets... I do the same freeking job on the west... :shock: ... And they wonder why our customer service job is slacking or at least.... WHY I do not do more than my job requires... :shock:

I'm awake, reading this board right now courtesy of an 0330 wake up from scheduling looking to JA me for an 0500 show. Missed call received at 0333. Contract says they can't call me before 0500.....

I am quite sure the circus would run a lot more smoothly than
whats been happening around here. The only thing missing is the grease painted clowns, and lions and tigers. :)