Customs Seal on US Airways Sida Badge

Nov 14, 2012
NJ
Hello, I used to work for US Airways and I was terminated because Customs and Border Protection didn't approve my application for Federal Inspection Service Area at Philadelphia International airport. I already possessed at Sida badge by the way I just needed customs seal on my ID. I was denied because they claim I failed to disclose information. The thing is I put on my CBP Application what happened to me in the past, I guess I wasn't specific enough. I am currently trying to appeal this decision do you think the ruling will be in my favor? I was in no way trying to be dishonest on my application. Can you help me out in any way with some information? Its not in the employee handbook that customs seals are required so I'm confused on the matter. Any information would be great. Thank you in advance.

as far as being fired from usairways bec you were trying to get the customs seal im not sure i follow but it sounds like if you were trying to get customs seal and got denied for that you generally do not get fired from the company unless there are things in your past they find or other ways good luck to you and welcome to the boards

Thanks for the hospitality, I was about two weeks from completing my probationary period and I got served a paper from a recruiter in PHL, it basically said that I was terminated due to customs denying my application for a custom seal. I thought they would just suspend my employment until I got the situation straightened out, or at least put me in the domestic terminal. I have a misdemeanor on my background which I told US Airways and CBP about. It took CBP about 5 months to give me a decision on my app, which I find very strange. I know the reason CBP denied me, but I would have thought at least they would have asked me about the situation before US Airways fired me. I wrote my appeal to the port direct in PHL since he's the one that has the final say.

Unfortunately, during the probation period allows the Company to fire pretty much at-will as I understand it, even though you are paying union dues from Day One, and there is not much that can be done.

The Board expert on CBP requirements as a condition of employment at US Airways, would be Roabilly as he addressed this matter at CLT, and I suggest you introduce yourself though a PM and see what he has to say about the matter.

Yes, I understand I read the employee handbook from top to bottom. Also, they did give me the option of reapplying once I got everything situated wit CBP. Its just very suspicious that they waited until my probationary period was almost up to finally give me a decision on my CBP app. I applied for it in May and got a response in September. I would think it would have taken 6 weeks at the most. I reached out to Roabilly via PM, I haven't gotten a response from him yet. I just thought I would post here to see if I could get any info :) Thanks for the response by the way.

Jester was dead on. When you're in probation you're at will. In stations with operations in International terminals the CBP seal is usually a requirement. PERSONALLY I think that US should have delayed the decision pending your appeal. If they wouldn't do that then there's no reason they shouldn't put you on an admin suspension (non disciplinary) until it was resolved. They've already spent a small chunk of change hiring and training you; they're going to need to spend that all again.

Thats exactly where I was working the international terminal all my fellow co-workers knew I didn't have my customs seal and still did my job, sometimes more than the ppl that have been working their for years. Station movement planned to send me to the domestic terminal because I didn't have my seal, but I was terminated before I was transferred. I asked the recruiter if I could have been put their and she claims that I couldn't which I believe wasn't necessarily true. I'm being patient hopefully I'll be getting a decision on my appeal, and it will be overturned in the upcoming weeks. I had my lawyers write on my behalf, as well myself, and others.

Yes, I understand I read the employee handbook from top to bottom. Also, they did give me the option of reapplying once I got everything situated wit CBP. Its just very suspicious that they waited until my probationary period was almost up to finally give me a decision on my CBP app. I applied for it in May and got a response in September. I would think it would have taken 6 weeks at the most. I reached out to Roabilly via PM, I haven't gotten a response from him yet. I just thought I would post here to see if I could get any info :) Thanks for the response by the way.

Not suspicious at all and not that unusual to take that long to respond. For instance, they started a local badge thing here at DFW that would allow airport/airline employees to by-pass security when entering the SIDA (Security Identification Display Area). It, of course, required a background check. Now, as a flight attendant whose background has been checked six ways from Sunday, you would think this would be a formality. No, absolutely not. The background checks done by AMR, the local police, the FAA, and the TSA would not do. The monstrous bureaucracy created by the airport board had to do its own background checks. Took months to get my badge.

I'm not surprised that another bureaucracy at an airport the size of Philadelphia's would take several months to get back to you.

I actually got my SIDA badge pretty quickly I think about a week or two after I applied for that. I was happy about that who wants to pay $11.00 to park ever day lol. Other co-workers in my CSA class got their customs seals months before I got a denial on mine. Even before that started before me got theirs. Like I said before I don't have anything on my background besides a misdemeanor that happened almost 3 years ago. I told both companies about the incident. The reason I was denied is because I wasn't specific enough with CBP according to the letter they sent me. So Im interpreting that they thought I was being dishonest which I wasn't.

Basicly, something came up in your background that wasn't listed on your application. I've had this happen to only 1 of my employees at another airport, however we just moved her to the domestic side. Customs takes international serious, and they can ground a flight if someone is working it who doesn't have a seal.

So, you can ask for a copy of your background or go get your own state & FBI check done and see if there's something you forgot about. And btw, it has to be a misdemeanor or higher for it to flag.

In some locations such as this posters, you are screwed. For some reason, certain airports won't let you work without one even if you don't work or venture into a customs area.

I have seen FSA's able to Pass the FBI and Customs checks only to have to move to C/S because they could not pass the USPS check.

Personally, I never understood as to what makes someone unfit to handle US mail, but acceptable to handle passengers bags, cargo, not to mention, unfettered access to a commerical airliner. I recall reading several years ago how the TSA was considered doing a credit check as part of the background search, and even amounts under five-figure bad debts, legal judgments or mortgage defaults would be cause to reject an employee from obtaining a SIDA badge. That standard isn't too much different than what the TSA agents are required as part of their background search. The assumption is that people who are financially desparate might be tempted to conduct illegal actions for a financial gain.