Cwa Buyout Proposal

The proposal looks like it was prepared by the company, and not the CWA. I think it's a joke. At least the SWA buyout lets you convert sick time to medical benefits at the rate of 12 hours of accrued time for a month of medical coverage. Every 18 sick days that you turn in gets you a year of medical, up to a five or six year maximum depending on the package you choose. I know SWA is in a different position than US, but this is just begging you to burn your sick days before you quit. This will also create a lot of overtime for the company to pay out.

There are a lot of 20-25 year agents that are under 50 years old. I think if they were able to sweeten the medical coverage they would get a lot more takers.

The worst part is the UNIONS X-scale proposal. I can't believe the union came up with this.

I still can't believe the CWA proposed this.

This is what makes me angry. We hired the CWA to help us think. We didn't hire the CWA to do our thinking for us!

Zero input from the rank and file. They put this proposal together without asking any input from 6000+ members.

Where do you (CWA) have the right to do this?

We should demand that the proposal to the Company be withdrawn immediately because WE did not authorize it!

What the $#$&*!?

What a DROP IN THE BUCKET>>CCY has $$$$$$$$for THEIR X- MGT
and for US S**T!!!

Present a WORTHWILE BUYOUT AND NOT CHICKEN FEED>>>

Bet they WOULD NOT LIVE ON 10,000, and PAY THEIR MEDICAL ?

GET REAL!!!!!!!! :down:

I hate to throw that in the ring, but I know several in the CWA that had a voice in negotiations. A few of them were even from smaller stations, which is something the IAM Never did. It was always the AGC's and reps from the Hub's that had all of the input. Needless to say, we all know how the smaller stations faired in the last contract. One can only hope IF they decide to open the contract again, that they don't let the Mainline Express take another wage cut.

delldude said:
wake up people...U isn't going with any buyout...you are dreaming.
the only buyout will be in line 3 of the unemployment office.
they don't care about you. ;)
Odds are some sort of buyout will come forth after all efforts to force the agents down to 13/hour have failed. They realize that some will walk on their own if this happens. Even then, you have to wonder if management would agree to an early buyout. Making decisions that cost money, but save down the road have not been their method of doing business.

I can't imagine the union is serious about this buyout stuff. Why would they be? It is only going to lower their bottom line by getting rid of higher paid employees. When have you ever seen a union that was anxious to give up some dues? If there is any serious offer it will most likely come from the company, and I don't seem to see any offers from them. ;)

Fatherknowsbest said:
This is what makes me angry. We hired the CWA to help us think. We didn't hire the CWA to do our thinking for us!

Zero input from the rank and file. They put this proposal together without asking any input from 6000+ members.

We should demand that the proposal to the Company be withdrawn immediately because WE did not authorize it!
When you voted for a President/VP, etc for your local, you voted for them to speak for you, just like with the politicians in DC. They dont ask everyones opinion on everything they do either. Have YOU bothered to offer suggestions to your Local President or anyone from CWA regarding a buyout or what possible scenarios you'd be interested in seeing if the contract does happen to be opened up? I've emailed various people in the CWA before all the way up to Mr Bahr and everyone, including him, has responded. Did you think about running for office so YOU could have a voice? There is no way the union is going to poll 6000 of us on every item. Thats why we have the Local Presidents and Negotiating Team, to talk, vote and make proposals for us so we dont have to "be bothered getting involved."
I'd suggest that if you have such a problem with the way they do things, that you get involved with CWA and make your voice heard from the inside.

Also as far as the X scale, the CWA has basically taken away one of the things the company kept saying was preventing them from offering a buyout. Replacing topped out agents with other topped out agents. This X scale basically says thats no longer an issue. I think it was wise for CWA to offer this to see just how willing the company is to offer a buyout without being able to hide behind this 1 factor as a reason for not offering one. For every 20 year agent who takes the buyout (Option A), they will save $3000 this year and $21000 next year in W2 alone for the replacement agent. This doesnt include ANY other benefits being factored in. I'd say this would be a big savings on the companys part and will show just how much they want to cooperate in having the rest of the contract opened for talks. I think the stop of 90 days replacement was also a wise choice. It gives the company some time to decide just what they want to do.
As far as agents being upset that they'd have to come back at X scale, think of it this way. You wouldnt have the choice to come back at all if the person hadnt left so its basically opening up a position that wouldnt have been open otherwise. You can also decline and STILL remain on recall for regular recall at a later date, so you basically arent losing anything and those who want to leave can.

Buyouts? Boy oh Boy , talk about dreaming people. I believe that U has made it abundantly clear , If they had the money for buyouts regarding the laboring ranks only of course , they would not be in the financial position that they are in. This is not to say that "Golden Parachutes" for the upper tier are OK either.

Like another poster clearly stated...the only thing that will look like a buyout is the check from the un-employment office....or if you are lucky enough to be getting a retirement within the next couple of months.

Frankly, I have to laugh at those whom are eligable for retirement but elect to keep riding this dying horse...and much of that is due in part to the mis-management of their own finances by livg beyond their actual means.

Should you be in an position to retire?...you had better get your happy A$$ in gear and get those papers in , otherwise you will likely be another person in line trying to get a token something when liquidation becomes the final solution for U.

IHMO it would be far better to get whats available now...as opposed to standing in a very long line for remnants of what was. I'm sure the creditors will have more muscle on getting thiers before you can even hope to see a fraction of what was yours.

Tadjr,

No disrespect intended, but I don't agree that an area as important as this and the CWA doesn't need input. We have only worked our whole lives here to see better results. The CWA owes us here. It is NOT the other way around! The Union should have been all over this and studied it at all angles inlcuding the most important thing, what the members want!

Your answer is stupid. Sorry.

I have emailed the Union and talked with many of my coworkers. They are upset about this. I believe you and others are about to find out HOW mad!

Regards,

Fatherknowsbest said:

http://www.cwalocal3640.com/

Has a message:

CWA Presidents and Staff met with USAirways Labor Relations today, June 22, 2004.

There were more discussions about our groups contribution to the new transformation plan. The figures shown were a comparison to JetBlue and America West. Remember these are information meetings and no negotiations have begun.

No future meeting was set today, but I will advise the membership when that happens.

Please CONTACT US by forwarding your ideas and concerns to our comment forum. These are forwarded directly to me.

Fraternally,

Becky

It looks like to me they requested your input.