March 12, 2007
CWA

March 12, 2007

Mr. Douglas Parker, Chariman & CEO

US Airways Group Inc.

111 West Rio Salada Parkway

Tempe, Arizona 85281

Dear Chairman Parker:

We are writing to express the serious concerns and frustrations coming from customer service agents – members of the Customer Service Employee Associationa/CWA-IBT -- across the US Airways system and to urge you to take action by restoring needed staff positions and allowing our members to do what they do best: providing quality service to US Airways customers.

The effects of continued short staffing across the system – that preceded the merger with America West and US Airways have been wearing enough on US Airways agents, but the recent computer reservations system switchover has made this situation intolerable, for customers and agents.

It appears that this new reservations system was put into effect without providing agents the adequate training necessary to use the system efficiently. Reports from Association members indicate that agents were trained in the theory of the new reservation system, training that wasn't very useful in practical application.

As you are well aware, this switchover – along with the malfunctioning kiosks -- caused an enormous amount of turmoil at airports across the system and particularly along the East Coast. This resulted in agents, who take pride in their professionalism and their ability to serve US Airways customers, being unable to do so, and in many cases, being blamed by local managers for the meltdown.

You may not be aware, however, that understaffing and mandatory overtime are routine in too many airport locations. In Charlotte, for example, on a daily basis, there are 38-40 vacancies in airport customer service, with similar short staffing at Philadelphia, Boston and other locations systemwide. Union representatives have provided documentation and raised this issue with management for more than a year, with no results.

We are also concerned about reports that US Airways wants to hire temporary workers to staff the help center and for other customer service duties. As you know, there are many experienced agents on furlough or on-the-job injury status who can be called on for this work

US Airways agents are professionals who are committed to providing quality service and want the opportunity to do so. We would like to have the opportunity to further discuss ways we can work together to achieve this goal, and alleviate both current and long term problems for customer service.

Sincerely,

Larry Cohen/President, CWA ~ James P. Hoffa/General President, IBT

* And that my friends is exactly why I took vacation this past week (cant believe the manager actually had lines open this week). Enjoyed a nice cruise around Hawaii with fill in accounts of the horror stories between fruity drinks and beach days. Sorry that so many had to put up with so much, but I would have been in a rubber room right now if I hadnt had last week off. Next task will be trying to help train the newhires that started last week (and stayed thru the migration). Hey at least we have help bodies right? :rolleyes: :ph34r:

On the short staffing thing spoken of in the letter, it is a fact CLT runs on overtime C/S & ramp. Speaking at least from the fleet side Sa & Su (as I've posted before) are the worse days & that's when we have the least staffing. Why ? It is because those who work over time work it Mo-Fr so come Sa & Su every one is burned out & for the most part will not take the over time. Now all of this is before any sick calls.
Tempe. Settle the contracts now. Do the right thing by all groups.

One of the problems with the wage structure is that at the entry level the wage is lower than the starting wage at Rudy's BBQ here in Austin. The start at $9.50/hr plus some of the best Texas style BBQ you can get.

This forces the talent pool down to what I call the "Mirror Foggers" meaning the job interview consists of putting a mirror under the persons nose and if it fogs they have a job.

This IMO needs to be addressed through incentives etc etc in order to attract better people that will stay a few years
Bob, I'm always in favor of increased pay for workers, don't get me wrong, but it's high time the senior workforce got a raise. You may recall that the starting pay was already raised a while back for the purpose of attracting better help.

Mandatory overtime should be paid at 500%. People have lives that are a contrast to the unpleasantless of LCC. People have to have other jobs to live. Shame on the union for making it not so specific. So vague. Make it specific. Mando should require the airline to pay 500% of the hourly rate. If within an hour notice, one hour "easy" hour paid.
Quality of life!

The abuse should stop.

:down: if you dont like it then just quit
with that attitude it's no wonder you have'nt had a job in 28yrs or your 28 and you cant get a job :p . my hat is off to the agents and what they have put up with the last two weeks!! this f/a would like to say...YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!

:down: if you dont like it then just quit
NOT A QUITTER 29 YEARS EMPLOYED

Reports from Association members indicate that agents were trained in the theory of the new reservation system, training that wasn't very useful in practical application.
The trainer were told by the agents that the US/EAST operations would not handle QIK/SHARES but it fell on death ears

EVERYONE SHOULD GO TO KIRBY WITH THE UNDERSTAFFING IN HUB CITIES. HE IS THE ONE WHO MADE THIS MESS, HE IS THE ONE WHO SHOULD CORRECT IT!!!!

DCA has more flights than LAS. DCA total staffing in/out in the 500-600 range ..LAS has 1300. Do you think there is a staffing problem? East was staffed to sabre model of 1 agt per flight. Since shares requires 3-4 we were never going to be able to do the job. In LAS/PHX there are groups of agts to "adjust etkts", . We barely have enough to work the flights we have let alone all the extra crap that shares can't do on its own , which sabre could. These are things IT had more than a year to address and dropped the ball big time.