CWA leaders letter could cause the doors to close forever

C

chipmunn

Guest
Jim Root and his letter is interesting since I understand he was at the bargaining table, agreed to the changes, and then endorsed the agreement.
Then he goes back to CLT and apparently ponders his decision and goes against his unions recommendation and now may set in motion a chain of events that could lead to the liquidation of US Airways.
US Airways has fought hard to prevent a total shut down of the company and Bronner has given an ultimatum. Either the IAM, CWA, & AFA join ALPA, the TWU units, and management in taking more cuts or the airline will shut its doors for good...putting those naysayers to bed for good.
Brooner and the creditors do not give a damn about Jim Root or 30,000 other employees and in fact the new GECAS agreement to provide required financing mandates the company not default on its bankruptcy financing agreements, but Root and others have put this accord in jeopardy.
If Root and others are successful say good bye to 30,000 jobs, you can cash your last pay check, say good bye to severance pay, so good bye to your medical/dental plan (which is still one of the best in the country), term pass, and a better than PBGC retirement. J4J, and recall rights.
People like Jim Root are setting the airline up for certain liquidation.
If the TA's are rejected I suggest all current US Airways employees file out their unemployment claim, look for government or free clinic medical care, and put their homes up for sale to prevent a foreclosure.
What's interesting about this is that jobs could be lost with either a yes or no vote. However, a yes vote buys a person some time to seek another job, keep employed while in the job hunt, keep medical insurance for your family, creditors off of your door step, and a roof over your head.
If a person doesn't want to work at US Airways under the new agreements they have a choice: go get another job, but to vote no and contribute to certain liquidation makes no sense at all.
Vote no and you will lose everything.
Personally, I believe in today's economic environment it is a huge mistake to call Bronner's bluff, who is the only game in town.
Chip
 

A320 Driver

Veteran
Aug 24, 2002
3,358
2,319
www.usaviation.com
Severed-N-Happy said:
----------------
[/blockquote]

People have had ample warning since last summer to take these steps and precautions.If they havent taken them yet, they best not start crying now, or else they deserve the outcome whether it be positive or negative.
----------------
[/blockquote]


Well...thanks for the pat on the head Dude. Different perspective from the outside looking in isn't it? Don't you have someplace else to be?


A320 Driver
 

wings396

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
3,672
1,122
Chip, please remember the J4J only helps your group. The rest are destin to become MDA or Express employees for life with no J4J to get us back to mainline status. With the low pay that comes with it many can do just as well if not better with another job. The Pilot group can't get another job that will match their current pay levels. I am sure ALPA had a chance to negotiate at the table instead of being told take it or we will liqudate for the Holidays. You have the most to lose and want to protect your interests by telling the other groups to go along with the plan.
 

Oliver Twist

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
248
0
Raleigh, NC
www.usaviation.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/3/2003 4:00:47 PM Severed-N-Happy wrote:
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]People have had ample warning since last summer to take these steps and precautions.If they havent taken them yet, they best not start crying now, or else they deserve the outcome whether it be positive or negative.[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]While that may be true (very "cold" too), I don't believe it warrants taking the company down. I don't often agree with Chip, but on this point I agree. To vote no is not bright. If you wish to leave, do so and good luck to you. I am looking myself, but it's not a pretty picture. [BR][BR]If you wish to stay, Great! Do so and vote [STRONG]yes.[BR][/STRONG][BR]If you wish to leave or have had enough, Great! Do so and vote [STRONG]yes[/STRONG].[BR][BR]Yes will keep us all employee so that we can leave on our own timing and not someone else's.[BR]That is the only sensible way to go. I like a slow descent rather than a crash dive.[BR][BR]Chip, while I agree with you on the fact that a [STRONG]yes [/STRONG]vote is really the only sound choice, I disagree with your tone and what you are implying(sp). In reading Jim's letter, it says HIS choice is NO for Himself and states each of us must decide for ourselves how we will vote. That is what he says. He does not say anywhere that he is recomending we vote NO, only its a No vote for him. I make my own decisions, I do not let others decide for me.[BR][BR][BR][/P]
 
Dec 21, 2002
395
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 3:52:11 PM chipmunn wrote:


What's interesting about this is that jobs could be lost with either a yes or not vote. However, with a yes vote buys a person some time to seek another job, keep employed while in the job hunt, keep medical insurance for your family, and the creditors off of your door step, and a roof over your head.



----------------
[/blockquote]

People have had ample warning since last summer to take these steps and precautions.If they havent taken them yet, they best not start crying now, or else they deserve the outcome whether it be positive or negative.
 
Dec 21, 2002
395
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 4:05:04 PM A320 Driver wrote:

Severed-N-Happy said:
----------------
[/blockquote]

People have had ample warning since last summer to take these steps and precautions.If they havent taken them yet, they best not start crying now, or else they deserve the outcome whether it be positive or negative.
----------------
[/blockquote]


Well...thanks for the pat on the head Dude. Different perspective from the outside looking in isn't it? Don't you have someplace else to be?


A320 Driver
----------------
[/blockquote]


My statement comes from having already been on the inside looking out all summer and fall, and already having heeded the first warning signs. Therefore it has as much validity and applicability as anyone else's opinion, as does my current vote now. Voting yes has already bought me/all of us extra time, extended bennys, etc etc, but of course I/we knew they would not last, which is why I and many others took the foresight, not now, but back then, to have either made a plan B or start working on one.
My statement is not endorsing a yes or no vote as I wouldn't dare dictate anyone's vote nor shld you, it is simply a matter of addressing CHIPS comment about buying more time,which we have already bought 6 months by voting YES the 1st time,and the question now is ..how many more "buying times" do we all have left?
 

Pacemaker

Senior
Sep 3, 2002
475
0
To think that after getting 99% of what they want they're going to take it to CH. 7 over a few million bucks is ludicrous.

I wish just once one of these groups will call their bluff. You think after all this work they don't have a contingency plan?
 

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
161
0
Chip,
Trying to discredit someone because of a 'consensus' vote is a joke. Whether you agree with Root or not, give him the respect for sticking up for what he believes. Certainly nobody believes the company at this point and even Dave agreed it is tough to believe him so he asks us to trust him because the union does. Trouble is that he apparently doesn't know that not one mechanic trust the IAM and very few fleet service also.

love Joesy
 

taylor01

Member
Nov 11, 2002
88
0
www.usaviation.com
Look folks, I just finished my day at the ato
pax everywhere, lines out the door, due to tsa, U has
cut so deep at ATO's and ramp we are working LIKE DOGS!!
And they want MORE...and don't think SO!!!
Want kind of customer service is that!!!....If the doors close so be it. VOTE NO!...no more cuts no less pay
sorry that my option I'm entitled to it.
 

DaWoo

Member
Dec 26, 2002
24
0
[P align=center][FONT size=3]Looks like Mr. Root is taking heat for taking a stand. Perhaps he has had enough strong arming from USAirways management. Sorry Chip, you never sat at that table so please do not be so determined to say he endorsed the plan. They were put in a position to get something out to the members. He is entitled to his opinion just the same as you are. His happens to differ from yours. [BR][/FONT][FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #006633" color=#ff0000 size=5][STRONG]James Root...Thanks for speaking out !!!![/STRONG][/FONT][/P]
 

taylor01

Member
Nov 11, 2002
88
0
www.usaviation.com
And by the way I dont' need anyone replying tell me
"no one has a gun to my head, I can leave if I don't like it"
because everyone feels the same if your a front line employee from mgr/supervisir to agt....they'll cut to deep the job can't be done with whose left.....and until you people are in our shoes at the ATO's
 

RODELU

Newbie
Sep 12, 2002
2
0
Do remember Eastern Airlines...the IAM precipitated their demise..as an ex Braniff employee I know very well what is not having a job,and how difficult is to find one...today jobs are very scarce and we are not getting any younger, so if you vote NO,you will have to live with it...because is not return.....I will vote YES...IAM IN Miami
 

sdavis29

Advanced
Nov 13, 2002
222
0
www.usaviation.com
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/3/2003 6:16:30 PM taylor01 wrote:
[P]And by the way I dont' need anyone replying tell me[BR]"no one has a gun to my head, I can leave if I don't like it" [BR]because everyone feels the same if your a front line employee from mgr/supervisir to agt....they'll cut to deep the job can't be done with whose left.....and until you people are in our shoes at the ATO's ...I have two words for you "SHUT UP"![/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]AMEN TO THAT........[BR][BR]
 

luv2fly

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
1,187
0
www.usaviation.com
[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/3/2003 3:52:11 PM chipmunn wrote:

Jim Root and his letter is interesting since I understand he was at the bargaining table, agreed to the changes, and then endorsed the agreement.


---->Maybe he simply tried to negotiate the best deal he could. That doesn't doesn't mean he can't be entitled to his own opinion of that "best deal".


Then he goes back to CLT and apparently ponders his decision and goes against his unions recommendation and now may set in motion a chain of events that could lead to the liquidation of US Airways.


---->Once again, the membership will make that determination.



If Root and others are successful say good bye to 30,000 jobs,

---->Is that a fact Chip, or are you once again asserting your opinion? Do you have hard evidence, or are you speculating?



If the TA's are rejected I suggest all current US Airways employees file out their unemployment claim, look for government or free clinic medical care, and put their homes up for sale to prevent a foreclosure.


---->I think it would be nice if you would stop trying to coerce other employee groups into voting how you think they should.


If a person doesn't want to work at US Airways under the new agreements they have a choice: go get another job, but to vote no and contribute to certain liquidation makes no sense at all.

----> Probably true, so let them decide without harrassment.

Personally, I believe in today's economic environment it is a huge mistake to call Bronner's bluff, who is the only game in town.

Chip



----------------
[/blockquote]
 
Jan 2, 2003
10
0
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/3/2003 3:52:11 PM chipmunn wrote:
[P]Jim Root and his letter is interesting since I understand he was at the bargaining table, agreed to the changes, and then endorsed the agreement.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"]Would this be the same table that they said "Take this or well liquidate"? The same table where they said "We dont have time for a ratification vote"?[/FONT][BR][BR]Then he goes back to CLT and apparently ponders his decision and goes against his unions recommendation and now may set in motion a chain of events that could lead to the liquidation of US Airways.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"][STRONG][EM]COULD[/EM][/STRONG]. I don't suppose the 2 billion dollar pension deficit might have anything to do with that could it? No, of course not, its the damned ticket agents that are killing this place.[/FONT][BR][BR]US Airways has fought hard to prevent a total shut down of the company and Bronner has given an ultimatum. Either the IAM, CWA, & AFA join ALPA, the TWU units, and management in taking more cuts or the airline will shut its doors for good...putting those naysayers to bed for good.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"]ALPA? What does the ALPA membership about acepting sight unseen?[/FONT][BR][BR]Brooner and the creditors do not give a damn about Jim Root or 30,000 other employees and in fact the new GECAS agreement to provide required financing mandates the company not default on its bankruptcy financing agreements, but Root and others have put this accord in jeopardy.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"]I'm having a hard time following you..you say they dont give a damn about us? And the incentive to vote yes is what again?[BR][/FONT][BR][BR]If Root and others are successful say good bye to 30,000 jobs, you can cash your last pay check, say good bye to severance pay, so good bye to your medical/dental plan (which is still one of the best in the country), term pass, and a better than PBGC retirement. J4J, and recall rights. [BR][BR][BR][BR][BR]People like Jim Root are setting the airline up for certain liquidation.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"]People like you are annoying the hell out of an already demoralized work force.[/FONT][BR][BR]If the TA's are rejected I suggest all current US Airways employees file out their unemployment claim, look for government or free clinic medical care, and put their homes up for sale to prevent a foreclosure.[BR][BR][FONT face="Courier New"]Are you? We dont need more advice from you sir.Please stop.[/FONT][BR][BR][BR][BR]What's interesting about this is that jobs could be lost with either a yes or no vote. However, a yes vote buys a person some time to seek another job, keep employed while in the job hunt, keep medical insurance for your family, creditors off of your door step, and a roof over your head. [BR][BR][BR]Awww come on, I can declare personal bankruptcy and seek meaningful concessions from all stakeholders cant I?[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]