CWA local elections for US Airways passenger service workers

Jul 28, 2008
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and needed some info.
I work in NY at an airport for US Airways and was wondering about the upcoming CWA elections for our district. Does anyone know our current President, John Hanson? Has he ever had a local membership meeting? Has the local moved from Syracuse NY to Boston, MA? Can it be moved again if someone from another state runs for local President? We have someone in our work location that would make a great President. We need someone that is active and not retired in my opinion. Any info on when we can nominate someone and how it is done? I understand that this year is election year and we elect every 3 years.

Moderator note:
Just a reminder labor threads can only be started by moderators. However since it appears there hasn't been the need of a CWA thread I'm going to let this stand for all CWA issues. Labor thread rules apply here.

check your district bylaws.
dont most think that hanson is pretty decent? If you can, definately vote out velvet.
OTOH, Clacy G, Barb T are solid but i heard that Clacy has been moved up

regards

check your district bylaws.
dont most think that hanson is pretty decent? If you can, definately vote out velvet.
OTOH, Clacy G, Barb T are solid but i heard that Clacy has been moved up

regards

Hey there, thanks for the info, do you belong to the local in Boston? Has there been any meetings for the membership? Isn't there some rule with the DOL that a local must hold meetings? Who is Velvet, Clacy and Barb T? Can I vote for any of them in my district?

John Hanson is solid and very well liked by his membership.
There are about 13-14 cities in your district. Each city has an area rep who is responsible for meetings. John Hanson and Barb Tobin are the two bargainers for the airports who were elected by all cities in the U.S. at the 2005 conventions to represent all airports in bargaining where CWA is now in place.
John operates the office out of Boston. He has been elected I believe 3 consecutive terms or more by the majority of all the workers.
You will have to check with your local bi-laws to see when area meetings are held. John is constantly in all of these cities, which is very difficult. I happen to know that there is an area rep in LGA that was voted in that isn't that great, so if you are looking to run that is the city you should run for which is still inside John's district. The last thing we would want is for John to leave and someone with no clue to step in. Hope this helps.

President Local 1171
John S. Hanson
1-877-526-1171 Toll Free
1-978-948-3511 Office
1-978-948-3551 Fax
EMAIL
http://www.cwalocal1171.com/

Barbara Tobin- Executive President - PHL Airport
http://www.cwa13301.com/officers.htm
http://www.cwa13301.com/bylaws.htm

Thanks for the info-john john
Can someone send the link to local 1171's bylaws, I tried to find them on the web site but they are not there, nor is the calendar updated for any functions at the local? I don't need 13301's since I am not a members there. Also, when and where is the next meeting for local 1171 and when are the nominations going to take place? The last message from the pres is DEC of 2007!!!!! Has nothing happened since then? Have we won anyone's jobs back or got anyone off of discipline levels?

We need someone that is active and not retired in my opinion

WHAT?? He is one of the most active preseidents I have ever seen....what makes the person you have in mind a "better" candidate???

"Make sure to forward your ideas, questions, suggestions and local concerns by clicking on the email address of your station representative in the Local Directory Click on the Presidents Message link for monthly updates from John Hanson, local president." http://www.cwalocal1171.com/

When you go to 1171's web site and click on the links to the local directory for station reps there aren't any reps listed and when you click on the Presidents message link for "monthly updates" from John Hanson, local President, you get DEC 2007! I think we could do better don't you, it is July 2008 for goodness sake!

When you go to 1171's web site and click on the links to the local directory for station reps there aren't any reps listed and when you click on the Presidents message link for "monthly updates" from John Hanson, local President, you get DEC 2007! I think we could do better don't you, it is July 2008 for goodness sake!
[/quote]

When I was working I was a member of local 1171 in SYR.

What I would do is e-mail John Hanson and voice my concerns.........

It's worth a try. The following is listed on CWA.net Good luck.

District 1- Local 1171
represents BOS,ALB,BDL,BTV,BUF,
EWR,LGA,MHT,PVD,ROC,SYR,JFK
[email protected]

airportworker08.....

Good representation should begin at the local level. The concerns you put forward makes me think that representation is lacking at the station level. :(

"Make sure to forward your ideas, questions, suggestions and local concerns by clicking on the email address of your station representative in the Local Directory Click on the Presidents Message link for monthly updates from John Hanson, local president." http://www.cwalocal1171.com/

For "goodness sakes" it takes time and money to maintain a website...Hansen is constantly on the run. I worry more about Velvet and the CWA website being updated which it never is!!!! There are links on the CWA site that don't work.....and you practically have to beg for information on the hot topics....silly....
To answer your "concerns", yes, know for a fact jobs have been won back by him and Stewards...bottom line is get rid of the intrnal troublesome ones (Velvet et crew) and keep supporting the ones whom have watched our backs for years!!! These prez' fight a constant uphill battle whether we think they do or not!!! The internal politics are enough to send one over the edge...email him...have never had him not return a fon call or email. Quit worrying about the stupid website....in the olden days Locals did not have websites....try using your resources a bit better...wheres your union steward?? Ask them why they dont have the union board updated....my husbands local is one of the oldest in the nation and the website stinks and ya know what---35 years he has-never heard him complain as you are about a stupid website...why? Because he gets on the fon---he communicates the old way-----IN PERSON or Verbally. Do you get it yet???

Think I am done with this thread as it is quite obvious you are trying to put a spin on someone and mar their rep maybe just because their friggin webite isn't updated....wow, if this is what you are worried about.....you have issues!!!!

For "goodness sakes" it takes time and money to maintain a website...Hansen is constantly on the run. I worry more about Velvet and the CWA website being updated which it never is!!!! There are links on the CWA site that don't work.....and you practically have to beg for information on the hot topics....silly....
To answer your "concerns", yes, know for a fact jobs have been won back by him and Stewards...bottom line is get rid of the intrnal troublesome ones (Velvet et crew) and keep supporting the ones whom have watched our backs for years!!! These prez' fight a constant uphill battle whether we think they do or not!!! The internal politics are enough to send one over the edge...email him...have never had him not return a fon call or email. Quit worrying about the stupid website....in the olden days Locals did not have websites....try using your resources a bit better...wheres your union steward?? Ask them why they dont have the union board updated....my husbands local is one of the oldest in the nation and the website stinks and ya know what---35 years he has-never heard him complain as you are about a stupid website...why? Because he gets on the fon---he communicates the old way-----IN PERSON or Verbally. Do you get it yet???

Think I am done with this thread as it is quite obvious you are trying to put a spin on someone and mar their rep maybe just because their friggin webite isn't updated....wow, if this is what you are worried about.....you have issues!!!!
Couldn’t have said it better
Tim Rick and the old gang use to kept XXXXX in check now ?????????

*****DELETED****** She should not be a part in the Association. Remember, she compares us to McDonald workers. She is the pipeline to the Company. Need I say more?

I don't know who Tim, Rick, Velvet, Clacy, and Barb are, so I am not sure why they are mentioned in regards to my question about MY local. When you ask about someone in your own local and someone else is bad mouthed that is not part of my local that makes me wonder. Can any of those mentioned help me get answers about my local's bylaws and meeting times and locations? I am asking about MY local only here, let's stay on topic.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHEN AND WHERE OUR MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS ARE HELD AND WHEN ELECTIONS ARE HELD AS WELL THIS YEAR? Can someone put up a link of an electronic pdf of our Bylaws for 1171 like they did for local 13301? Those are the questions all the posters on this thread are not answering. Are any of the posters even members of local 1171 and do they know these answers or are they trying to hide something? I would love to see our meeting dates and locations posted in each work location and on the web site we pay money for. How hard is that to get answered? As far as paying for a web site, why have one if you are not going to update it, it is a waste of our dues money in my opinion.