Cwa---questions

Res

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Can the CWA look into getting answers for the union members for the 2 reservations centers...surprised they(CWA) have not put our options out there..I realize they are busy hoping for better things although most have just had enough...

1 - Can we collect partial unemployment with pay cut? If collected will it impact ur collection of $$$ US goes under at a later time.

2 - Can we quit and go back to school and collect unemployment, when Feb paycut kicks in and can we draw partial unemployment then?

3 - If the new contract that is imposed after Feb is so awful and dramatic....can we quit and collect unemployment and go back to school? If contract is close to what is currently offered some of those who are topped out would be better of on unemployment than the current contract option.

4 - If we strike, union authorized would we still qualify for unemployment ?

Res said:
Can the CWA look into getting answers for the union members for the 2 reservations centers...surprised they(CWA) have not put our options out there..I realize they are busy hoping for better things although most have just had enough...

1 - Can we collect partial unemployment with pay cut? If collected will it impact ur collection of $$$ US goes under at a later time.

2 - Can we quit and go back to school and collect unemployment, when Feb paycut kicks in and can we draw partial unemployment then?
3 - If the new contract that is imposed after Feb is so awful and dramatic....can we quit and collect unemployment and go back to school? If contract is close to what is currently offered some of those who are topped out would be better of on unemployment than the current contract option.

4 - If we strike, union authorized would we still qualify for unemployment ?
[post="194142"][/post]​
Res, I wouldn't wait on the union to give me answers pertaining to unemployment benefits. Benefits and amounts vary widely from state to state. I would suggest you contact your local office of employment security and ask them all those questions. Best of luck.

Res said:

[post="194142"][/post]​
NOT in PA anyway, you need to be furloughed first before the other actions take place, I asked them myself......

In Ohio you need to be sked a 20 hr work week...The company knows that- even if you DONT WORK 20 hrs,you are NOT eligible to collect..

This asswipe of a company has all the bases covered...They have more friggin lawyers then Carter has free holies..

I E mailed the PA Unemployment office on this exact question...The answer I got seems to be, it really matter how much you were getting paid before the 21 % cut and after...They said it is not out of the question to get unemployment if you can't live on the 21 % less, but that it is looked at on an individual basis...Here is what they sent me to my question about not being able to live on 21% less pay and having to leave to spend my time looking for a job at equal pay to what I was making..I explained that if you got laid off...You wouldn't be forced to take a job at less pay than your old job....Their response was pretty welcome news, I believe....Even if you are not furloughed...

HERE WAS THEIR ANSWER...

This is in response to your recent e-mail regarding your possible eligibility or unemployment compensation (UC) if you quit continuing employment because your employer has reduced your salary.

The following general information on voluntary quit separations is provided. A determination concerning eligibility/ineligibility for UC cannot be issued prior to an individual's separation from employment. However, should you become separated and file an application for UC benefits, you would then be asked by the UC Service Center to provide specific information regarding your separation from employment. All available information concerning a your separation would then be considered prior to the UC Service Center issuing the UC eligibility determination.

UC is a form of income support that protects an individual against income loss if he/she is separated from employment through no fault of his or her own. UC benefits are paid, for a limited time, to individuals who are able and available for suitable work, but continue to be unemployed while looking for another job.

If you voluntarily leave continuing employment, your UC eligibility will be determined in accordance with Section 402(B) of the Pennsylvania UC Law. Section 402(B) provides, in part, that an employee shall be ineligible for UC for any week in which his or her unemployment is due to voluntarily leaving work without cause of a necessitous and compelling nature. A claimant who voluntarily quits continuing employment has the burden of proof in establishing good cause for quitting and that such cause was real and substantial, leaving the claimant no other alternative.

A necessitous and compelling reason would be that in which a reasonable person would have no other choice. The claimant must demonstrate that his or her behavior was consistent with prudence and ordinary common sense, and was based on factors that are real, substantial and reasonable. Changes in the terms and conditions of employment and its effect may, under certain circumstances, be considered to be a cause of necessitous and compelling nature.

Unfortunately, we cannot give you a definitive answer regarding your UC eligibility. However, the following examples may help to explain the "necessitous and compelling" burden.

A baggage handler making $8.00 per hour has his wage rate cut by $1.50 an hour due to his employer's changing budget priorities. Upon quitting, he files for UC benefits, and after providing the UC Service Center with proof that he could not afford to work for less pay (because of financial reasons) and needed to find another job, he will probably be found eligible for UC under Section 402(B). This reason for the eligible determination is because the UC Service Center decided that he had a necessitous and compelling reason for leaving his position.

A senior pilot making more than $100,000 has his salary cut by $ 20,000 in union concessions. When this pilot quits, and files for UC, in order to be eligible for benefits, he has the burden of proving that his quit was based on good cause. Since the claimant had the option of remaining employed at $80,000 per year or becoming unemployed with no income, he will probably be determined ineligible because he will not be able to demonstrate to the UC Service Center that he had no other choice but to resign from employment.
If you decide to voluntarily leave employment and are denied benefits, you will have the right to appeal that decision to an independent UC referee.

To file a new application for UC benefits, log on to www.dli.state.pa.us. Under quick links, choose unemployment compensation, and then file an initial application for UC benefits. You may also call your UC Service Center at 1-888-313-7284. The hours of operation for our UC Service Centers are Mondays 7:00 a.m. - 6:45 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday 7:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.

Latest posts