Cwa Responds To Newspaper Article

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
Newspaper article incorrectly implies that "all the unions" are negotiating concessions with US Airways management..

Several agents have expressed concern, after reading a February 17 New York Times article, that there may be passenger service concessions negotiations going on with US Airways management. That is not the case - there have been no CWA negotiations with management and if any negotiation meeting is scheduled our members will be informed in advance of that meeting and a full report would be issued following the meeting. That is our policy.

Below is the information from the New York Times article with CWA's remarks on each relevant point.

New York Times Article
NYT- US Airways, which is based in Arlington, Va., emerged from bankruptcy last spring. The airline said in December that it had to rip up its business plan because it was not achieving results that would allow it to stay in compliance with $900 million in federal loan guarantees that formed the basis of its restructuring.

CWA- US Airways management wants to "rip up its business plan?"
Twice we have made major salary, benefit and workrule concessions based on management’s assurances that their business plans will lead to greater job security and a "soft landing" as the company is restructured. We expect those agreements to be honored.

NYT- The airline faces a stiff challenge from low-fare carriers, particularly Southwest Airlines, which will begin service in May from Philadelphia, one of US Airways' three hubs.
CWA- US Airways has a very large cost advantage (at least $6,000 per agent per year) over Southwest Airlines passenger service salaries, benefits and workrules.

NYT- Union leaders initially resisted the airline's bid for a third round of cuts, declaring that "the concessions stand is closed. In response, the airline hired Morgan Stanley to find bidders for a series of major assets, including US Airways' East Coast shuttle and one of its three hubs, which include Pittsburgh and Charlotte, N.C., in addition to Philadelphia.
CWA- The sale of US Airways assets would be a major betrayal of employee trust and confidence by executives.
Employees did not make a $1.3 billion concession/investment in this airline just to see it sold off in pieces for a short-term financial strategy.

NYT- Though formal bargaining has yet to begin, union officials met on Feb. 6 with US Airways executives to hear an outline of what the company was proposing.
CWA- There was no new business plan presented at the Feb. 6 meeting.
Management presented slides (see attached) showing they want pay, seniority and benefits to be reduced to and America West levels.
They didn’t present any plans or proposals to achieve that.

NYT- US Airways said its overall costs in 2003 averaged 10.22 cents a seat mile, which analysts say is the highest in the airline industry. Executives told labor leaders that they wanted to cut costs by four cents a mile, to roughly six cents a mile, which the airline said was the average cost for low-fare competitors, including Southwest, JetBlue Airways and America West.
CWA- Costs per seat mile - has it gone up recently?
If so, how could that happen when labor costs have not increased - we have had no pay raise, employee medical premiums have increased, and more stations have gone Express?
Third Quarter 2003 cost per available seat mile = 9.7¢.
Fourth Quarter 2003 cost per available seat mile = 9.91¢.

NYT- To help achieve the four cents a mile savings, US Airways proposed that labor groups grant concessions equal to roughly two cents a mile. According to the presentation, employees would grant concessions equal to 0.9 cents a mile in wages, 0.7 cents a mile in productivity gains and another 0.4 cents in wage cuts.
CWA- Management has made no proposal to CWA to cut salaries, benefits, seniority rights or workrules.

Again, they spoke only in generalities at the February 6 meeting.

CWA has no contract negotiations underway or scheduled with US Airways management.

NYT- The company, for its part, is promising to cut its operating costs by one cent a mile, its distributing and marketing costs by 0.4 cents a mile, and other costs by 0.2 cents a mile.
CWA- We have never heard the company "promise" any such thing.
We have heard of no specific operating cost savings proposal, and we don’t know how we could enforce such a promise if it was made.

NYT- Amy Kudwa, an airline spokeswoman, declined to say what those savings would yield in dollar amounts. She called the figures "a broad look at what we would need."
CWA- This sounds more accurate.
Everything we have heard from management to date amounts to "a broad look at what we would need," from a management point of view.

CWA is the only union to ever represent the CSA.

My understanding is that CWA has not even been approached. They will not sign confidentiality papers. Why? Because they will not agree to keep anything from their members. That is how all unions should behave.

So, what part of CWA message do you not get??????

PITbull said:

My understanding is that CWA has not even been approached. They will not sign confidentiality papers. Why? Because they will not agree to keep anything from their members. That is how all unions should behave.

I can tell you the part i get ! They will talk plaine and simple. This all is crap. I get so tired of it. THEY WILL TALKWHILE THEY BARK !

tadjr said:
Management presented slides (see attached) showing they want pay, seniority and benefits to be reduced to and America West levels.
They didn’t present any plans or proposals to achieve that.
Does anyone have information on HP pay scales?
Even if, for argument's sake, the company were achieve HP pay/benifit levels, the employee costs would still be higher. Why? Because almost all of the junior, lower paid, staff are furloughed! UNtil/unless our average seniority match the resest of the industry, all this talk of "if only our labor costs matched XYZ Airlines" is a bit misleading.

I would love to find out why our non labor costs remain so stubbornly high.
Being admittedly very rough with the numbers it seems that even if all UAIR employees worked for free, we would still only match WN CASMs.

(10.7 cents CASM -40 percent labor = 6.7 cents CASM)

There is more to he equation than labor costs! But if (when) W-2 cuts come for the agent group, I repeat my plea to the company, CWA, and IAM Leave Mainline Express alone! (IAM/CWA, please dont sell out the small/mid stations again)! The ME folks have given more than enough. And more stations will likely be ME in the not too distant future.

USfliboi,

LOL....I think you are losing it. Step away from the computer.. inhale.... and exhale, yea, that's right....you'll be fine. I've been there...honey.

usfliboi said:
PITbull said:

I can tell you the part i get ! They will talk plaine and simple. This all is crap. I get so tired of it. THEY WILL TALKWHILE THEY BARK !
What don't you get? You are not a CWA union rep, you can't speak for other groups. Don't you get it?

Robert Roach, General Vice President of Transportation of the IAM, told Doug McKeen VP of Labor (un)relations, that the IAM leadership, both mechanic and related and fleet service DECLINCE the invitation to CCY for next Thursday's meeting on the 8th floor, so don't let Dave wait for us cause we won't be there.

But you can't seem to undertand that. Just like you can't understand why the CWA wants to inform its membership, but we would not expect a management plant to understand anything in the real world!

Dont call me Shirley said:
Does anyone have information on HP pay scales?
Even if, for argument's sake, the company were achieve HP pay/benifit levels, the employee costs would still be higher. Why? Because almost all of the junior, lower paid, staff are furloughed! UNtil/unless our average seniority match the resest of the industry, all this talk of "if only our labor costs matched XYZ Airlines" is a bit misleading.

I would love to find out why our non labor costs remain so stubbornly high.
Being admittedly very rough with the numbers it seems that even if all UAIR employees worked for free, we would still only match WN CASMs.

(10.7 cents CASM -40 percent labor = 6.7 cents CASM)

There is more to he equation than labor costs! But if (when) W-2 cuts come for the agent group, I repeat my plea to the company, CWA, and IAM Leave Mainline Express alone! (IAM/CWA, please dont sell out the small/mid stations again)! The ME folks have given more than enough. And more stations will likely be ME in the not too distant future.
DCMS,

I wonder about this, too.

In my opinion, it's just easier to beat the employees over the head than take the time and "talent" to find out where all the "leaks" are and address that. I suppose it could also be embarrassing to find out how many profits were casually lost over the years.

It's also my opinion there's a concerted effort by all the airlines to drive employee wages down. I don't usally hear the "thwap-thwap" of black heliocopters, and there's historical parallels in the railroad and textile industries. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it's looking a little too calculated.

Checking the other boards, it seems most the airlines are doing the same things. There's got to be a point where we say enough is enough. It upsets me to see UAL is out-sourcing its call centers to Nova Scotia. It shocks me DAL has its RES centers in India and none in the United States. Why are these corporations being so unpatriotic?

And why hasn't anyone called them on it other than Lou Dobbs on CNN?

Sure, it's cheap labor but it's money going out of the country. Our Country can't repair its economy while its people are underemployed or out of work. It's a quick fix that will do long-term damage.

Sorry for the rambling, it just really bothers me!

Dea

700UW said:
usfliboi said:
PITbull said:

But you can't seem to undertand that. Just like you can't understand why the CWA wants to inform its membership, but we would not expect a management plant to understand anything in the real world!
What dont you get ? Im speaking for myself not for any union... Im speaking common sense because you and i know they will talk one way or the other. You can deny if you wanna but Cwa isnt stupid. Its called Politics my friend

Dea Certe said:
It upsets me to see UAL is out-sourcing its call centers to Nova Scotia. It shocks me DAL has its RES centers in India and none in the United States. Why are these corporations being so unpatriotic?

Because all Americans and politicians care about is unlimited $29 coast-to-coast airfares (and accumulating miles and free upgrades).

If it costs some tens of thousands of US jobs, and slashing compensation for the few aviation jobs that remain, so be it.

Dea Certe said:
I'm sure Dea knows the answer, which is,

look at who owns the media - multinational (not loyal to any country, just the bottom line) corporations.

Did anybody see that ol' bulldog, Tim Russert, interview Jack Welch?

This was along the timeline of Welch's retirement and the revelations of his undisclosed retirement benefits.

Russert did everything but kiss Welch's,uhhhh, ring.

Nowhere did Russert disclose that Welch, CEO of GE, which owns NBC, was Russert's boss. Nowhere did Russert disclose how many GE/NBC stock options he had been granted. Bear in mind Russert edits some of NBC's programming (gee, maybe THAT's why NBC's coverage of the NAFTA debate sucked!)

Woodward and Bernstein said follow the money, so I did. It leads straight from the owning corporation to the editor's desk. And what about those speaking fees the talking heads charge, whenever they speak before the Chamber of Commerce, Business Rountable, etc? The media preaches full disclosure to the pols, what about a little reciprocity?

Liberal media, my ass! :shock:

kt,

yes I have.

The termed, "bloated plutocrat' comes to mind.

As you can tell, this guy sends me off. As much as he sends me off, though, I hope it isn't health related.

His rep as a bulldog interogator is PR BS.

And he really pisses me off when he subtlely disrespects 'Big Russ'. "Big Russ" doesn't understand how Social Security works", "Big Russ, a union guy...", etc.

Dude, Big Russ is a lot of the reason your fat arse decorates that seat.

Diogenes: You just stated "Dude, Big Russ is alot of the reason your fat arse decorates that seat".

What did you mean my that? Was that something I said. Please explain. :rolleyes: