Cwa-temp Relief Ask

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
09/23/2004
Management says it will ask the bankruptcy court for immediate interim cuts in passenger service pay, retirement, and other contract items...

CWA received, Wednesday night via email, a message from Jerry Glass, Sr VP Human Resources, listing the cuts management will ask the Bankruptcy Court to impose on passenger service employees in a motion they will file on Friday. These are not the full range of the cuts they will try to impose, but only the "emergency, interim" cuts. The company intends to impose further cuts, which they term "permanent relief," through the bankruptcy court if no agreement is reached.

The Court will schedule a hearing on this motion in the near future. CWA's attorneys will represent us in bankruptcy court when that motion is heard. Prior to that hearing we will attempt to meet with management to determine if any agreement can be reached to lessen these drastic cuts on employees' standard of living. These are the immediate cuts management will try to impose on passenger service:

Effective Date: Immediately.

Duration: This agreement will expire upon the earlier of the first pay period following: (x) March 31, 2005; or (y) the effective date of a ratified Transformation Plan Letter of Agreement, or (z) the implementation of permanent relief under Section 1113© of the Bankruptcy Code.

Rates of Pay: Base rates of pay for all longevity steps in all classifications (excluding MDA and Mainline Express) will be reduced by twenty-three percent (23%) and frozen at the reduced level.

DCRP: Eliminate employer match contribution. Eliminate current employer base contribution and replace it with a flat 3% employer base contribution.
Minimum Aircraft: The Company's obligations regarding Minimum Aircraft as set forth in the January 2003 Restructuring Agreement will not apply.

Outsourcing: The Company may outsource any work within the scope of the parties' basic agreement in order to offset the effects of (a) attrition that exceeds historical norms; or b. work slow-downs or other service disruptions caused by CWA-represented employees.

We will keep you informed of any meetings with management.
CWA Local Officers and Staff

At least they arent touching MDA or Mainline Express.

This is clear cut union busting.

Everyone knows no "interim" agreements will be reached when the company is not even negotiating with the unions.

No time for a ratification vote.

The company is clearly content on breaking labor and its contracts.

This place is on life-support and is terminal.

Tadjr ...Thank you for always posting the info that we are looking for....CWA needs a better way to communicate, checking our local website nothing new posted yet. After last nights announcement we were all wondering...and again waiting. Thanks for the info you have always been so informative. Thanks again...a Res employee - I'll share the above with my coworkers.

700UW said:

Everyone knows no "interim" agreements will be reached when the company is not even negotiating with the unions.

[post="183405"][/post]​
Your not surprised??? I think we all knew this was coming.. I posted last week that it would happen on 9/23/04, I was off by one day!!! They hold the reigns to the horse!!! I like your use of the word terminal.... very apt description of our circumstance!! GOOD DAY!!

Nothing like working in a "positive" work enviroment!!! I am sure with these forced cuts morale will really improve and employee's will really keep going the extra mile for U and its customers................ :down: :down: :down: :angry:

Gee, I wonder if U will stay towards the top in on-time performance and customer complaints?

ok, let me get this straight....they want to be able to outsource if attrition exceeds historical norms.

So, they offer a buyout and "more than the historical norm" leaves and they outsource the rest?

How do you look at yourself in the mirror everyday Jerry Glass?

The only place the airline can go for cost savings is employees. That's it. There is no choice.

There's an attitude here that management spends its time thinking up ways to make employees unhappy, or ways to break unions. I doubt it. Lakefield in particular is a guy who made a ton of money, has little prospect of making much at US Airways (relative to what he's made in the past) and could, if he wanted to, retire today, spend the rest of his life on the beach drinking pina coladas. He doesn't need to be at US Airways. I genuinely believe the guy is doing this out of a sense of obligation to try to rescue the company. Given a choice, I sincerely believe he'd do something other than cut wages of people who objectively don't make that much anyway. But the choice is between the survival of the company (and _all_ those who work for it) or the livelihood of _some_ of those who work at the company. It's not a great choice, but it's the one he's faced with.

700UW said:

[post="183405"][/post]​

Tadjr,

Could you clarify something in your earlier post? You stated that CWA's attorneys will represent us in bk court when the motion is heard for permanent relief. Will they represent us on Friday for this "emergency, interim" request? Who is the law firm representing CWA? Everyday I look at the court dockets and all the other union groups attorneys have filed to receive any and all documents, but I do not see CWA represented.(flight attendants-CWA is)

Do you have this information, or can you get access to it? I too, am very dissapointed at the lack of communication from the CWA.

Thanks for keeping us on this website informed.

But the choice is between the survival of the company (and _all_ those who work for it)

"All of those that work for it": Before, or after the shrinkage/outsourcing? That "all" will be _sharply_ less.

or the livelihood of _some_ of those who work at the company

_AFTER_ the "transformation plan"...the _some_ that still remain.

Sellers of this "capitulate at any cost" for the "survival of the company" tap dance around this issue like nobody's business.

This is what you get when you force people into lose-lose situations.

livingontheedge said:
How do you look at yourself in the mirror everyday Jerry Glass?
[post="183420"][/post]​
With a big wide grin knowing he is doing his masters work, Satan. What he doesn't understand and this is the biggy: He is Satan's forever and will pay his due a thousand fold and will regret the day he caused pain for all those people's lives he touched in the name of greed and arrogance. Balance is alive and well in the universe, Jerry will reap his rewards, and it will be with the scythe carried by the grim reaper.

usfliboi

You are dead wrong!!! Apparently you do not work in Res and do not know anyone that does.

Just about everyone has their party hats and confetti ready for the day that the "pink slips" are handed out. For the majority, the "pain" is worse having to go to that God forsaken job every day than the possibility of getting layed off.

Not my opinion but the agents themselves. If you don't believe it, go spend only an hour at either Res center and get a jolt of reality!

Speak for yourself.

usfliboi said:
lol the environment would be alot worse if we close!
[post="183416"][/post]​

Maybe in your world. It would be the same in mine. Losing everything having an agreement or having one imposed...is still losing everything.

bobcat said:
usfliboi

You are dead wrong!!! Apparently you do not work in Res and do not know anyone that does.

Just about everyone has their party hats and confetti ready for the day that the "pink slips" are handed out. For the majority, the "pain" is worse having to go to that God forsaken job every day than the possibility of getting layed off.

Not my opinion but the agents themselves. If you don't believe it, go spend only an hour at either Res center and get a jolt of reality!

Speak for yourself.
[post="183433"][/post]​
I agree with you... most agents can't wait for the day the doors are closed. Anyone not familiar with RES would not believe the crap that goes on daily (5 days a week, 8hrs a day with most working ot to offset their reduced pay vacations, holidays...) I wonder how many will work ot once the cuts are implemented.

Usfliboi says "lol the environment would be alot worse if we close!"

No it wouldn't! This indusrty is in a big time shake down and the lose of USAIR capacitiy is a VERY good way to start to make this industry healthy again. And we could stand the lose of another VERY troubled airline that has been struggling for two years in BK. And still hasn't gotten to the point YET that USAIR is at, but they will eventually.