CWA- The best and only alternative is to vote YES

Robc98

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
As much as I hate to say it...even after everything this company has done to us...whether its justified or not....we must vote yes for these changes...if it fails then its over....I for one have fallen victim to the mainline/express curse but Id rather have a job while looking for another than not have one at all.....everything in the above post is true and while some may have some alternative to go to, most wont....vote with your head and not your emotions...........

What makes you think your going to get severence? Right after the Unions ratifiy the new contracts the companys going head straight to the BK Judge and tell him what a hardship its going to create for the company if they have to pay severence to all the laid off employees.

Guess whats going to happen then? You got it... you not only voted yourself out of a job thinking you were going to get a little something out of it and BANG good ole Dave gives you yet another good swift kick in the arse.

Merry Christmas

The Facts:
Chapter 7 - there will be no company to return with in the future. Ask your friends who worked with Eastern.
If we get union ratification - we will receive conditional approval on the ATSB loan and emerge from Chapter 11. March 2003 is still the target date. The company is only a few months away from succeeding.
Employees who might be furloughed will receive ZERO severance pay, because the company could liquidate. This means there won't be 3-4 months of severance pay or 90 days of health insurance. This is not the time to be proud by voting no just to send a message. The employees will be the ones to suffer with a liquidation.
Look at the 2003 Monthly COBRA Rates that many employees will be subject to paying:
Plan C: $753.78 for a family or $453.94 for a couple.
The Defined contribution plans? Terminated
The best and only alternative is to vote yes to keep US Airways going. This will save 35,000 company jobs. The co-share with UAL will only increase the possibility for future recalls as the industry traffic levels increase. View the current market conditions in your area: www.monster.com This is not a great time to start looking for a job with the high unemployment rates. If you want to seek another career, by voting YES will allow you the time to venture into other career options. Many customer service positions will pay $9-12 hour with one week of vacation time if you are lucky.
Look at the other airlines: UA is headed towards a possible liquidation. American is discussing about how to avoid Chapter 11. With a possibility of war with Iraq - the airline industry traffic would suffer - more industry furloughs - meaning fewer options for furlough emmployees to find jobs with other carriers.
US airways is in an excellent position to succeed if the unions ratify the latest concessions. Voting YES might not be a WIN-WIN situation for every individual situation - but once you consider all available options - this is the best choice and a WIN-WIN for the entire company.
The company will allow parents of employees furloughed after 9/11/01 to be considered eligible family members for purposes of online non-revenue travel.
US Airways management is only telling the unions the hard facts. While this might not be popular with the frontline employees - we must realize the negative consequences for a NO vote and how this could result in the loss of 35,000 jobs.
Without agreements - Bronner will want his $300 million - which could possibly force a liquidation.
These are tough decisions that each employee must make. It is imperative that these facts are communicated with your fellow co-workers. Do not assume that they will vote YES - spread the word and what each employee will lose by voting NO. Make your vote count!

Very succinct and to the point. To fall on one's sword proves nothing other than failure to understand a new
paradigm is in place for the airline industry. A revolution is taking place where the old business models are no longer valid. We can either be part of the revolution, as painful as it is, or die like the steel industry.

have you seen the new proposal?...as far as benefits go, you are covered for duration of furlough(15 weeks max) allowance and then 90 days..you are just responsible for the paying what you pay if you were collecting a paycheck...

tough call for all i know..i am already there

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]
[P][/P]
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 8:34:06 PM Robc98 wrote:
[P align=left]As much as I hate to say it...even after everything this company has done to us...whether its justified or not....we must vote yes for these changes...if it fails then its over....[BR][BR][BR][BR][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"]If aint the question, when is.[/FONT][/STRONG][/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P] [/BLOCKQUOTE]

[BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 8:39:19 PM Biffeman wrote: [BR][BR]Don't drink the koolaide----------------[BR][/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR][SPAN]On 12/16/2002 12:38:11PM Biffeman wrote:[BR]A great thing that should happen is that members of other labor unions stick to their union and thier issues instead of trying to tell other union's and its members that they should do.[BR][BR][BR]How soon some forget....thanks for the advice though.[/SPAN] With 5 people left under me in station, I'm probably voting myself out of a job one way or the other anyway. At least some will have a chance for at least a couple more paychecks with a yes.....this is going to be hard to do.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/18/2002 8:43:43 PM lindy wrote:
[P][BR][BR]Very succinct and to the point. To fall on one's sword proves nothing other than failure to understand a new[BR]paradigm is in place for the airline industry. A revolution is taking place where the old business models are no longer valid. We can either be part of the revolution, as painful as it is, or die like the steel industry. [BR][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P align=left][STRONG][/STRONG][/P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"] As painful as it is? You must have enough time not to give a **** about anyone below you on the list.[/FONT][/STRONG]

Fly:

Excellent post. As Dea brought up earlier, even if you're furloughed from the new deals it's better to vote yes. Why? Severance pay, COBRA, keeping your pension whether it's a defined benefit or contribution plan, a term pass, a J4J opportunity, and recall rights.

No agreement = liquidation and maybe 32,000 employees have seen their last US paycheck.

What's interesting is that once the deals are complete, US emerges, improves its liquidity, the company can not only succeed, but thrive.

Chip

Before reading this post I was a sure NO vote but you all have changed my mind.

I will vote YES.

What else is out there to even compare to what I will have after the latest concessions? Not much !

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/19/2002 12:42:17 AM chipmunn wrote:

What's interesting is that once the deals are complete, US emerges, improves its liquidity, the company can not only succeed, but thrive.

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

You sound like a broken record. Didn't you say the same thing about the last round of cuts? Give it a rest.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 11:45:22 PM ForkTime2002 wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/18/2002 8:43:43 PM lindy wrote:

Very succinct and to the point. To fall on one's sword proves nothing other than failure to understand a new
paradigm is in place for the airline industry. A revolution is taking place where the old business models are no longer valid. We can either be part of the revolution, as painful as it is, or die like the steel industry.
[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P align=left][STRONG][/STRONG][/P][STRONG][FONT face="Times New Roman"] As painful as it is? You must have enough time not to give a **** about anyone below you on the list.[/FONT][/STRONG]
----------------
[/blockquote]
Actually, Fork, I do care about the approximately 250 people below me on the senority list who will still be here after the projected lay-offs. Better 250 than none at all. I would guess,though, you don't really care. You would rather share your misery with everybody else.
How sad.

Chip, You may be around to see it "thrive" someday, but many won't. The ALPA J4J agreement is only a temporary setback for your group with a chance to return to mainline at some point. With the rest of us and the outsourcing issue, we will NEVER RETURN no matter how much the company thrives in the future. Please remember that you are in a better position than most if the company survives, and have much more to lose if it doesn't. Many of us can go work elsewhere for the generous $9 they want to give us after all is done. Would you vote for this deal if you were to stay on an RJ at an express carrier for $25 bucks an hour for the rest of your career? We all know your groups precious pensions more than double our annual salary. So to sum it all up, what is best for you and your ALPA gang, is not always best for everyone else.