Cwa Update 11/18/2004

noname

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
CWA US Airways Update 11-18-04

| | | Inbox

PLEASE POST AND DISTRIBUTE TO YOUR CO-WORKERS
Additional stories are on www.CWA.net

Bankruptcy hearing on management’s motion to eliminate the union contracts will be held on December 2... Negotiations momentum has been lost because of management contracting-out demands...
Management ‘s last proposal (posted at cwa.net) still has several extreme demands, including the demand to contract out US Airways’ reservations work to non-US Airways employees at other companies. Management’s proposal would use our Early Out plan to gain enough votes to ratify a contract that would undermine the pay, job security and work rules of the remaining workforce for years to come. Here are some of management’s proposals:

Cut pay scales then move down 2 steps on the scale, then freeze at that level until November 2006. Here’s how it would work for somebody at top scale today: You would drop from $20.05 per hour to $16.30 per hour, then in December 2006 you would move up one step to $17 per hour. In December 2007 you would move up to $18.60 per hour.
If you are furloughed, when you are recalled you would be reduced at least two steps below your pay level when you were furloughed.
Customer contact premium would be eliminated after two years
Holidays cut to 5 per year
Vacation weeks cut (2 at top seniority), but paid at 100%
All shift premiums eliminated
Double time OT eliminated
Straight time pay for holidays worked
Relocation allowance eliminated
Sick days paid at 50% pay
A new classification, Ready Reserve, can be scheduled like part-timers, but they are only paid at the first step ($8.72) forever. This couldlead to regular agents being replaced by the low paid Ready Reserve agents if we don't get safeguards in the agreement, and management is resisting those safeguards.
Management would force out res agents by consolidating the two res centers, then permanently contract out the work as agents quit, retire or are discharged. This will provide a big incentive for management to pressure res agents to leave or to discipline them at an accelerated rate to force them out, so management can contract out more work. It would also allow management to leave the remaining res reps with weekends and other desirable shifts while contracting out the better shifts.
Retire Medical is cut from a maximum of 10 years of coverage to a maximum of 3 years. Premiums will be increased in a way that is different for each group. For example, passenger service retirees will pay about twice as much as a pilot for the same level of coverage. You must pay for the plan with banked sick days.
The very extreme part of management’s demand is that, even after US Airways employees have our pay and benefits cut to below the average of the Low Cost Carriers (America West, Jet Blue, AirTran and Southwest), management would still contract out our jobs (res) or bring in underpaid Ready Reserves to take our work (airports).
We are still working on proposals this week. The Bankruptcy hearing will be on December 2, 3, 9, 10, 14, 16, and 17. The judge is on vacation from December 17 until January.

We'll keep you informed...

CWA Local Offiers and Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
Tell-a-friend!

is it safe to say that this turn for the worse now means on life support system. i wouldnt even let our worst enemy vote on this--well ok may be some of the worst people such as osama! what a dirty contract.

What about the buy out.. I heard we got $20,000 plus our normal severance, year of medical and life time flights... SIGN ME UP! Any truth to that rumor?

Only 15 grand tops buyout, one year med. lifetime flight benefits. No severance pay. BUT...to pay for it, companys insists on outsourcing some res. CWA says NO WAY.

WestCoastGuy said:
Only 15 grand tops buyout, one year med. lifetime flight benefits. No severance pay. BUT...to pay for it, companys insists on outsourcing some res. CWA says NO WAY.
[post="202094"][/post]​

We're gone anyway. If they don't outsource us, they will close INT/PIT and open two new CWA call center in BFE, and have 2000 reps at new hire rates for 5 years, which would be even less then what we'll be making for the next 5 years.

If you accept this premise, which is better for US AIRWAYS RES EMPOYEES not CWA?
1. $$$$, medical for a year, flights for life, which will give us a cushion until we find another job

or

2. CWA gets 2000 new dues paying members in BFE and I get shown the door with my few weeks of severance, cobra payments and a couple years of flights.

MMW, one way or another the res jobs as we know it are GONE. ME and my small circle of friends want a package.

The buyout for CWA is $5,000(5-9 years) with 5 years flt benefits and 4 months medical. $10,000(10-14years) with 10 years flt benefits and 8 months medical. $15,000 (15 years and up) with lifetime flt benefits and 12 months medical. However resv agents that sign up will get a $5000 Bonus. Bottom line is they will get what they want one way or the other and the Judge will help as much as he can. I say we get something for our time invested because I do not trust them and from their tract record we will get screwed again in the coming months.

The $5000 extra is for Res..not the ATO, so if anyone in res accepts buyout, would be $20,000 tops plus year med and if over 15 yrs, lifetime flights. Put it out for TA vote, if it passes, thats what the majority wants, if not, back to the table.

I work at ATO, but it's the Res people that deserve what they can get. You're right, this company can not be trusted to honor its contracts. Just think about the guaranteed air fare rule, and get the money while you can.

700UW:

700UW said: "Seems things just took a turn for the worse."

USA320Pilot comments: You're surpirsed? The CWA leadership is doing exactly what the RC4 did. Give a little inch by inch and watch the company's proposals get worse and worse. Every reader of this message baord has been warned that management's proposals would get worse. Guess what? They are. Furthermore, next week they will be worse and the court has not option: accept hte company's proposal or liquidate the company.

For Rez the option could be as much as $20,000 cash, medical benefits, and travel passes and unemployment, continued employment, or just unemployment. Which deal is better?

The longer negotiations proceeed the worse the deal will be...You would have thought other unions would have lerned from the miserable failure of ALPA's RC4.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Expert pilot..expert company shill......
Your opinion is ... just that...not much more...
and.......................................................

Nobody gives a damn what you think....

WestCoastGuy said:
The $5000 extra is for Res..not the ATO, so if anyone in res accepts buyout, would be $20,000 tops plus year med and if over 15 yrs, lifetime flights. Put it out for TA vote, if it passes, thats what the majority wants, if not, back to the table.
[post="202099"][/post]​

That's all I'm asking for.