Cwa Us Airways Update 11-13-04

basher said:
We have better service, better and cleaner equiptment.
[post="200478"][/post]​

Correction: "We had better service ...". I've switched all of my long haul coast to coast flying to NW, who has far better service (DTW is a dream to connect in), better elite program, better web site, better First class service and meals, better route network, etc. I would have picked UA but upgrade opportunities are not as plentiful.

Good for you USflyer or should I say NWflyer. You made the decision that was best for you, now US employees will do what's right for them. Good Luck!

Tim Nelson

What you said makes more sense than anything else said on this board. Everyone can bicker and speculate until the cows come home but the end result will be the same no matter what anyone thinks or says. Energy should be spent planning on "life after" since it's right around the corner. Well said!

PITbull said:
God bless the agents for taking a REAL STAND.

I think what is happening to the agents is horribly egregious.

AFA is affiliated with CWA and we will NOT cross a picket line with our brothers and sisters if there is a "walk-out".
[post="200566"][/post]​

There is not going to be a picket line. Do you think Judge Mitchell will allow a strike to take place ? This strike vote was just a tool to let the agents vent whom are very frustrated with both the Company AND the CWA. And all this talk about sick-outs. I hope the CWA remembers a couple years back what a judge did to Americans pilots union. They ( the union ) got fined so hard they almost filed chap 11 themselves. Anyone on the CWA front just remember, part of the NEW rules whether we get a chance to vote on it or the Judge imposes it will be that the grievences currentlyon file will be wiped out. The point , sick - out get fired and have no recourse nor unemployment because you dont get unemployment for termination by misconduct!

Not so. You need to read all the threads on the US Airways forum. It has been well-documented on other threads that BK judge does not have the legal authority to nullify existing labor law. The existing laws give unions immediate access to self-help if their contracts are abrogated.

And, you've been listening to a certain pilot too much. The American pilots were not fined for striking. They were fined for an illegal sick-out. And, it wasn't by a bankruptcy judge, it was by a Federal District Court judge who has jurisdiction over labor matters/law.

And, you've been listening to a certain pilot too much. The American pilots were not fined for striking. They were fined for an illegal sick-out. And, it wasn't by a bankruptcy judge, it was by a Federal District Court judge who has jurisdiction over labor matters/law.
[post="201026"][/post]​
[/quote]

It was the pilots union and not the pilots themselves . And the reference of the fine was the sick - out incident.

LGA / 037 said:
Anyone on the CWA front just remember, part of the NEW rules whether we get a chance to vote on it or the Judge imposes it will be that the grievences currentlyon file will be wiped out. The point , sick - out get fired and have no recourse nor unemployment because you dont get unemployment for termination by misconduct!
[post="201025"][/post]​

You're wrong.

Termination grievences are not wiped out.

jimntx said:
Not so. You need to read all the threads on the US Airways forum. It has been well-documented on other threads that BK judge does not have the legal authority to nullify existing labor law. The existing laws give unions immediate access to self-help if their contracts are abrogated.
[post="201026"][/post]​
I think you are hearing what you want to in this regard. I have been paying attention the the other threads and this is FAR from "well-documented." The unions have access to self-help, but the company has access to the courts to get an injunction to stop any self-help if they can show it would irreparably harm the estate. And a federal BK judge certainly does have jurisdiction to decide the issue while the debtor is in BK. How he would decide in this case is purely open to speculation as there is not any precedent for this since S 1113 was enacted which was only about 10 years ago I believe.

If I have missed something "well documented" that says otherwise please point me to it. But all I have seen are the unionistas chanting over and over that the judge cannot stop a strike-- repeating something doesn't make it so-- and some briefs in support of that position, which are more or less meaningless when read in isolation. Of course no one has posted the briefs supporting the other side, and CERTAINLY there has been no actual court decision showing which was more persuasive or correct.

Tim Nelson said:
excellent points. I think the focus of this web site should be focused on unemployment, pension/PBGC, job opportunities, and training programs. To really discuss anything else under title does seem a bit nonsensical to me given the forecast of US AIRWAYS by "Top" people.
I mean, what does it really mean if USA320pilot or 700 is right about whether or not the IAM is going to 'feel the pain' or get self help, when the conclusion is academic?

The best thing is to make sure all are informed regarding the particular unemployment of each state and its retraining programs. Closure is starting to introduce itself.

regards,
[post="200564"][/post]​

Tim,

I concur, and believe it is incumbent upon each union to get these answers and out to the membership.

I certainly wouldn't advise taking anything on 'theHub' at face value.

jimntx said:

If it is a work action ( strike ) you are referring to the BK judge does not have the legal authority. But USAirways would I am sure get a court injunction and workers would be ordered back to work .

AFA will cross, guarenteed..... besides ms pitbull can say that because she knowes the judge will order us back... pathetic

If and when a strike by any work group occurs, I have faith that the AFA WILL NOT cross a picket line. Even if a judge would order employees back to work, one minute of a strike would send this place into a "tailspin". Mission accomplished!

According to US Airways, "The PBGC pays most people all pension benefits, but some people may lose certain benefits that are not guaranteed. PBGC spokesman Jeffrey Speicher told the Philadelphia Inquirer that US Airways has $2.3 billion in unfunded pension liabilities, and the agency estimates that its obligations to US Airways workers would be $2.1 billion, so payments to retirees would not be reduced significantly. 'We don’t anticipate a massive benefit reduction in the US Airways case,' he told the newspaper."

For more information go to the PBGC website at www.pbgc.gov

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts