Cwa’ers And Us Airways Management Met

bagosh

Oct 9, 2002
CWA’ers met with management to hear the details of their Transformation/Concessions plan...CWA presents alternative plans...
6-23-2004
The meeting took place on 6-22-04 at US Airways’ Crystal City Headquarters. Present for management were VP Donna Paladini, Doug McKeen, ECLAT Consultant and former VP, and several station, labor relations, and legal management. Present for CWA were each local president or designee and CWA staff.
Management presented several slides restating their view that the company is in serious financial difficulty and that further employee concessions are required. They presented slightly more detail on their earlier claim that, overall, US Airways passenger service employees are $122 million per year overpaid and underproductive compared to a hybrid model of certain other airlines (JetBlue and America West – excluding Southwest and other major airlines).
Management broke out the $122 million figure further, saying that passenger service employees are over cost by the following amounts in each category:
•Pay - $80 million
•Productivity - $17 million
•Retirement - $8 million
•Retiree Medical - $5 million
•Scope (Contracting Out) - $17 million
CWA’ers told management the magnitude of the cuts being demanded of passenger service employees is phenomenal - $25,700 per full-time employee per year - and if implemented would drive passenger service employees right out of the middle class and into a drastically lower standard of living. CWA’ers made the following points to management:
•We want to help save this company, but you can’t ask, again, for the lowest paid group to subsidize the others;
•Many employees are parents who are not going to give up their family’s economic security in an unfair transformation plan;
•Passenger service employees are not the high-paid workforce at US Airways, and we have no flexibility or reserves to fall back on if our income is cut further;
•Passenger service employees took pay freezes and cuts in benefits in the ‘90’s when no other group at US Airways did;
•Employees are losing confidence that management can run the airline successfully;
•Management needs to implement the non-labor parts of the transformation plan immediately, and say what is being demanded of the non-represented groups;
•Management’s statements that our seniority is “a problem†is age discrimination and a direct attack on the individual employees who work for this company;
•The amount of cuts suggested for our retirement plan, $8 million, would cut our defined contribution plan by about 60%. Coincidentally, the company just gave away about $8 million to our two recently departed executives.
•The America West “pay scale†management wants for us isn’t even a payscale – it’s a plan whereby your supervisor decides how much of a raise, if any, you will get, starting at $7.65 an hour and going no higher than $13.10 an hour.
CWA’ers presented an alternative plan to reduce passenger service costs by reducing seniority through a buyout, and described several other cost-cutting initiatives they are preparing.
•Buyout. CWA presented a comprehensive, cost-cutting buy-out plan to management at this meeting. Text of that plan is available at www.cwa.net.
•Work At Home. CWA’ers told management they are preparing a reservations “work at home†option that could substantially reduce some res costs. We are determined, though, that the plan be voluntary and not allow reps to be forced to accept the work at home option.
•Retiree Medical Costs. CWA’ers told management they are working on a possible alternative ways to fund retiree medical, as long as the current retiree medical is not reduced or made more expensive.
CWA research department will meet again next week to go over the calculations in the CWA buyout plan and those in the company’s most recent presentation. We’ll keep you informed of further meetings with management.
CWA Local Officers and Staff

This is where much of the quantitative analysis of pay breaks down. What's the value-add of a human agent (relative to a kiosk or the website) to the average customer checking in for a flight, without baggage? Close to zero. What's the value-add of that same human agent during irregular ops? Close to infinite. And, of course, there are hundreds of different value levels in between for various scenarios.

Given this, how on earth do they think they can calculate the actual value of the human agents?

What is clearly going on is an effort to shift the CWA jobs from lifetime career jobs to just another cashier, as if working at the checkout counter of Wal-Mart. I'm pretty sure that the "race to the bottom" that keeps being discussed will equalize somewhere well above that level, but it's going to take at least one airline trying to pay too little and losing major quantities of customers before the freefall stops.

I suspect the same can be said for FAs as well.

Michael,

You are quite right. I believe LaBradford said in another thread that customer service is really measured by the way irregular ops are handled.

If you have experienced people on the job, they can make better decisions about what actions need to be taken in service recovery. Many times, it's a judgment call not covered in the guide lines. A good understanding of what's going on can make all the difference in the world in the way a situation is resolved.

Also, management needs to give latitude to those on the front lines to make decisions. If the staff is more experienced, they will make good decisions to retain integrity of the schedule and customer satisfaction. Anytime you are dealing with the public, there's bound to be plenty of unique circumstances. A bereavement or trip for medical treatment, for instance needs a little higher priority handling. Can a machine understand that?

Will someone who's inexperienced *and* poorly paid take the time to find an appropriate course of action?

I think everyone stands to lose in this race to the bottom. The customers lose a standard of service, the employees lose a standard of living and the company loses business.

What a mess and what a shame.

Dea

Dea Certe said:
I think everyone stands to lose in this race to the bottom. The customers lose a standard of service, the employees lose a standard of living and the company loses business.
This is where we disagree. This race will necessarily stop before reaching the bottom...unless people are truly unwilling to pay for good customer service. I know I am willing to pay for good customer service. And I do.

Sad and truely pathetic. That's so bad it's hard to even get mad. This is what US Airways has come to?

If anyone votes for this, you might as well decertify the union. No sense in paying for a union when your contract is equivelent to an "at will" employee.

Here we are, waiting all week long for the big meeting, where we are supposed to learn about how the 122 million breaks down per employee, and all we learn is that they break down the 122 million into more groups of several million. Thanks for nothing CWA.

Yea but, nowhere on the CWA website is the $13.00 an hr. stated, only in other members posts, that heard it from a good source.

mweiss said:
This is where much of the quantitative analysis of pay breaks down. What's the value-add of a human agent (relative to a kiosk or the website) to the average customer checking in for a flight, without baggage? Close to zero.
The value-added of a human agent is less than zero to a lot of people. If I can checkin with a kiosk (or even better, at home on my computer) that's a huge benefit relative to having to deal with an agent when I get to the airport. Probably 80% of my trips I never even see an agent until I board the aircraft. Not to be mean or anything, but why would I want to deal with an agent if I can accomplish the same thing in 30 seconds in the comfort of my home?

There are some people who will be more comfortable with a live human agent, but those people are going to be ever more rare as time goes by. This is a function that is now largely automated. It's like bank tellers being replaced by ATMs. It's like paying your credit card over the internet.

:eek: By breaking the $122 million down to 5 more groups of several million, we still know nothing more today than we knew yesterday. Thanks CWA for more wasted time and money. You are a total waste of union dues. I regret to have it deducted from my paycheck.

FLYUSAIRWAYS,

The presentation given to CWA appears similiar to that given to ALPA. Specifics weren't given, only areas where our costs are higher and by how much. The company mentions America West pay, but only to show the total cost difference. Same for retiree medical, monthly hours flown, etc.

My read is that the company really doesn't care how each group reaches it's target number, only that the target is reached. For example, we pilots could probably get all the furloughed people back as long as the cost of the pilot group went down $295 million.

Jim

These are all early prelim numbers so you arent going to get any specifics right now. I think for what they have been given to work with, they are doing a decent job. At least no one can complain that it took them 24 hours to get the notes out again. GMAFB.

Management broke out the $122 million figure further, saying that passenger service employees are over cost by the following amounts in each category:

Pay - $80 million
Productivity - $17 million
Retirement - $8 million
Retiree Medical - $5 million
Scope (Contracting Out) - $17 million

And in the next paragraph

CWA’ers told management the magnitude of the cuts being demanded of passenger service employees is phenomenal - $25,700 per full-time employee per year

And
The America West “pay scaleâ€￾ management wants for us isn’t even a payscale – it’s a plan whereby your supervisor decides how much of a raise, if any, you will get, starting at $7.65 an hour and going no higher than $13.10 an hour

Any more questions???? :p

vc10 said:
There are some people who will be more comfortable with a live human agent, but those people are going to be ever more rare as time goes by.
D#%@, I wish someone would have told that to all the people standing in my line today. I made a kiosk announcement and NOT ONE PERSON moved to the kiosk. They all wanted to talk JUST TO ME!!!! Does it make me feel special? Yes, but also tired beyond belief. Time for a beer! :shock:

Michael,

Do you remember when there always used to be a guy to pump the gas for you at a gas station? And then it was a self-service pump that was a few pennies less?

I always used the full-service pump because I'm prissy and don't like the smell of gasoline on my hands or clothes. Also, I liked getting the oil and tires checked at the same time.

Today, it's hard to find any station that has a full service pump and I live in Los Angeles! I have to carry Handi-wipes in the car and remember to fill up while I'm in jeans and T-shirt.

I'm willing to pay the extra bit for service but can't find it and I worry that's what's happening to the airline industry. Soon, there won't be much of a choice. MGM Grand was a premium airline that didn't make it. I think there's been a few others I don't remember.

It's the Wal-Marting of America. I've lost my dry cleaner due to the big, cheaper chains. Our local hardware store closed because it couldn't compete with Home Depot and Wal-Mart. How many grocery stores are there to frequent? Von's, Ralph's and Albertson's are all owned by the same parent-company -- Krogers!

I fear we are all losing our ability to choose in the race to the bottom line.

Dea

Latest posts