Dash 8

I just spoke with someone that had knowledge of the event. The report of an electrical fire that was put out by the flight crew is worthy of a script for hollywood.

What really happened was the windshield cracked causing a short in the windshield heat, that made some smoke. The smoke was "put out" by turning the windshield heat off. Not quite as dramatic, but there it is.

It's too bad the Dash-8's we have are falling apart. They are really sweet as an Express workhorse.

In the Caribbean Sun thread, I asked if their Dash-8's were sold already. If I was running the show, I'd offer to buy them and give Piedmont a bit more to work with on the East Coast. It's only four planes, but it would be four more than we have already. Maybe hook PIT back up to CHO, ROA, ELM, ITH and/or BGM?

I just spoke with someone that had knowledge of the event. The report of an electrical fire that was put out by the flight crew is worthy of a script for hollywood.

What really happened was the windshield cracked causing a short in the windshield heat, that made some smoke. The smoke was "put out" by turning the windshield heat off. Not quite as dramatic, but there it is.
Thanks for the Update. Sounds more like it....

You're pretty close. The first officer (friend and neighbor) took his jacket from the jumpseat and smothered the fire while the captain turned off the window heat. Believe it or not there actually was a fire.

I was in CHO Thursday night and my roommate ferried the aircraft back to ROA later that night. He said that there was still smoke residue and burn marks on the window trim. The FAA even came out to see the airplane and kept it grounded until midnight.

This has happened before. Think the last one diverted to AVP about a year ago.

The Dash-8 fleet is aging. We have Dash 8s with over 80,000 cycles flying around. Some with 100,000 cycles right around the corner. We have an engine failure rate that would blow your mind. Tempe always has more important issues on their minds. They're just rolling the dice.

The only thing that has been saving US Airways' and the Express' reputation is the level of experience in the left seat at Piedmont. Majority of the Captains at Piedmont are lifers and have been flying the Dash-8 since 1985, while the junior Captains have been in the Dash for at least 6 years.

Majority of the Captains at Piedmont are lifers and have been flying the Dash-8 since 1985, while the junior Captains have been in the Dash for at least 6 years.
Somewhat OT for this thread, but that's one of the two main reasons I love the Dash. The other is that it's built like a tank.

For flights up to 500 miles or so, I'd rather ride a PI Dash than any RJ.

Jim

quick side note, i hear that colgan air which was brought out by pinnacle will get the dash 8 400 is that true too bad piedmont wont get them

I had a similar experience with a windshield on a Dash 8 once in ROC. During a snowstorm, the pilots did their preflights and as they checked the window heat there was a burst of smoke and the windshield cracked. I wonder if this was a related issue.

The Dash is definitely a work horse, and US had some of the Q200's but chose to return them rather than keep them. Instead they kept the old dogs in the fleet.

The Dash 8 400 would be nice, but I doubt we'll ever see it in US colors -- that would make too much sense.

In the Caribbean Sun thread, I asked if their Dash-8's were sold already. If I was running the show, I'd offer to buy them and give Piedmont a bit more to work with on the East Coast. It's only four planes, but it would be four more than we have already. Maybe hook PIT back up to CHO, ROA, ELM, ITH and/or BGM?
[/quote]

Actually I think 2 or 3 of the 4 Dash 8's Caribbean Sun operates are ex Allegheny/Piedmont.

Cheers

LGA777

You're pretty close. The first officer (friend and neighbor) took his jacket from the jumpseat and smothered the fire while the captain turned off the window heat. Believe it or not there actually was a fire.

I was in CHO Thursday night and my roommate ferried the aircraft back to ROA later that night. He said that there was still smoke residue and burn marks on the window trim. The FAA even came out to see the airplane and kept it grounded until midnight.

This has happened before. Think the last one diverted to AVP about a year ago.

The Dash-8 fleet is aging. We have Dash 8s with over 80,000 cycles flying around. Some with 100,000 cycles right around the corner. We have an engine failure rate that would blow your mind. Tempe always has more important issues on their minds. They're just rolling the dice.

The only thing that has been saving US Airways' and the Express' reputation is the level of experience in the left seat at Piedmont. Majority of the Captains at Piedmont are lifers and have been flying the Dash-8 since 1985, while the junior Captains have been in the Dash for at least 6 years.

I stand corrected, please tell your friend "good work".

I also agree 100% that the experience level of the captains at PDT, is a tremendous asset!

Actually I think 2 or 3 of the 4 Dash 8's Caribbean Sun operates are ex Allegheny/Piedmont.

Cheers

LGA777

I'm surprised Tempe doesn't put an offer in for Caribbean Sun. That would be a purchase I think everyone could live with, and the chances of a layoff are extremely low, if not zero.

Expanding the mainline fleet is, IMO, the most important issue right now. After that is done (preferably with new aircraft and employees who are on furlough), then expansion of the express fleet would make sense.