Daughter works to get mom's frequent flier miles back

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Ruby Walden and her daughter, Debbie, love the bright lights of Broadway.

"She loves to go to the plays," Debbie Shelton says of her mother.

So to celebrate her 80th birthday, Ruby wanted to book a flight to the Big Apple with the 120,000 frequent flier miles she's banked over the years

But when daughter Debbie called to book the flight, she says US Airways told her, "Those miles have been voided and (I) said, ‘Why is that?’ and he said there's not been any activity on this account for over 18 months."

In fact as Consumer Connection first reported in October, many airlines are changing their frequent flier policies

Instead of losing your miles after three years of inactivity, now Delta frequent fliers will lose them after two.

United miles will now expire after 18 months as will US Airways dividend miles.

It’s something Debbie says her mother was never warned about.

So after several failed phone calls attempting to get those miles back, both mother and daughter turned to Consumer Connection for help. And we got results

"Once you did contact your representative that representative called my mother and said your daughter had been persistent and we have reactivated your points," Debbie said.

Consumer Connection
Click here for more of the latest consumer news
US Airways tells us dividend miles never expire as long as your account stays active and that they send e-mail notifications when they are about to expire. They said "perhaps Mrs. Shelton's mother had not updated her address recently or the direct mail did not reach her for whatever reason."

Debbie and Ruby are hoping other fliers will take action to protect their miles.

"I hope that other people that hear this will know what to do get their points back,â€￾ Debbie said.

As for that trip to New York City, Ruby and Debbie are once again making plans.

So what can you do to get your points back? The first step is to complain - loudly, often and in writing. We have a strategy outlined for you in our Consumer Action Center. And if you can't get your problem solved, let me help by sending an e-mail to [email protected].

I'm heartened to see consumers take action and stand up for themselves. The airline miles issue is nothing more than one of the more glaring examples of how globalization and the size and scope of large companies can lead to a steep decline in customer service bordering on abuse.

However one also must ask in the case of Frequent Flier Miles if you've had no activity in 18 months are you in fact a frequent flier?

Still doesnt' seem that miles should just automatically be cancelled. Afterall, they were earned and don't really cost the airline anything to leave them sit there other than computer software to track them.

Off topic question for you Piney - how do you figure that FF's are being held hostage on US? You certainly have the ability to fly on other carriers if you want to.

I'm heartened to see consumers take action and stand up for themselves. The airline miles issue is nothing more than one of the more glaring examples of how globalization and the size and scope of large companies can lead to a steep decline in customer service bordering on abuse.

However one also must ask in the case of Frequent Flier Miles if you've had no activity in 18 months are you in fact a frequent flier?
To answer your question, "No." Although, many might disagree, this is not abusive customer service or anything like it. Other situations, YES, this one NO. The company might have made an exception this time but thats what it is, not a change of policy. The customer is IMHO wrong and I would have liked to have seen Tempe advise them to read the membership guide and like many other companies policies, they change and the member is responsible to stay updated. Not only would US get the word out but would help all the other airlines with the same situation.

There is a "cost" to the company for unused miles. They are accounted for as a liability of sorts. They're kind of like gift cards, which often expire after a year. But there are states that ban this practice, and those gift cards issued in the respective states are good indefinitely. Maybe the same view should be taken of FF miles.

I am on the company side on this issue. Removing miles from inactive accounts are one way to protect the value of miles for true frequent flyers. If you move and don't care about updating you adress it shows how quite frankly you are not very intersted in keeping something of value.

All it took was one flight or heck even ordering a magazine subscription to keep the account active.

I agree with those who side with the company on this one.

They're FREQUENT FLYER miles, not Infrequent Flyer, save them forever with no activity miles. Without expiration, infrequent flyers would be competing with frequent flyers for increasingly scarce awards.

Given that most programs don't require flight activity to keep the miles alive, I have no sympathy for anyone whose miles expire due to account inactivity.

I agree with those who side with the company on this one.

They're FREQUENT FLYER miles, not Infrequent Flyer, save them forever with no activity miles. Without expiration, infrequent flyers would be competing with frequent flyers for increasingly scarce awards.

Given that most programs don't require flight activity to keep the miles alive, I have no sympathy for anyone whose miles expire due to account inactivity.

Yeah just get the credit card and purchase a pack of gum every 17 months and 28 days to keep your frequent flyer account active. Then those "infrequent flyer miles" still have to show on the airlines financials as a cost.

I also have little or no issue with miles expiring, HOWEVER, the mile program, whichever it is, already sends tons of junk mail to people, they should send a mile expiration notice either by snail mail or email.

While some people may never open them or read them, it just goes one step further to defend the practice.

Just my 2 cents.

I also have little or no issue with miles expiring, HOWEVER, the mile program, whichever it is, already sends tons of junk mail to people, they should send a mile expiration notice either by snail mail or email.

While some people may never open them or read them, it just goes one step further to defend the practice.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you that changes in terms and conditions should be communicated to the customer.

I had United miles expire last year and I was never notified. In that situation, they gave me 90 days to post activity, such as a hotel stay, flight, etc. and if I did, my miles were reinstated. I was very satisfied with that resolution.

However, I thought US Airways would reinstate miles if you flew a F ticket or opened a credit card account or something like that. At least that is what has been posted on other forums.

I agree with you that changes in terms and conditions should be communicated to the customer.

I had United miles expire last year and I was never notified. In that situation, they gave me 90 days to post activity, such as a hotel stay, flight, etc. and if I did, my miles were reinstated. I was very satisfied with that resolution.

However, I thought US Airways would reinstate miles if you flew a F ticket or opened a credit card account or something like that. At least that is what has been posted on other forums.
Dr, you are correct. There were ways to keep the miles and those options are sent via email. It must have been YEARS for that account to have gone unused for the miles to be totally forfeited. I believe after 18months you still have the option to purchase the miles back, open the cc etc.. to reinstate the miles.

I am still waiting for those e-mails. I found out through this and other web sites. I have to quite candid when I say that when it comes to communication with it's customer the new US Airways has dropped the ball far to often.

I can't honestly remember the last time I received anything from US in the mail. They expect everyone to have a computer so they can do a blanket email to all of the DM members. Even though I choose to receive email notification I remember in the past (CCY days) there were still certain items of importance to the DM program that they would mail to the customer as well.

PHX Mama,

I am still waiting for those e-mails. I found out through this and other web sites. I have to quite candid when I say that when it comes to communication with it's customer the new US Airways has dropped the ball far to often.

That said, I also think that in this case the Company did the right thing as their notification may have been in question. That's what makes it so hard to take the Company side on anything, you just can't know for certain whether or not they dropped the ball along the way.
Bob, Im sure you know the status of your account and how many miles you have accumulated. The membership guide does not say if you dont get the email we'll make an exception, however, it does say that the members are responsible for changes to the program. Again, if those miles have been totally forfeited, it has been YEARS since there has been any activity. If something has importance, wouldnt you at least check on it once every 3 years? Aside from this situation, if you would like an email regarding your account Im sure I could accomodate you, just send me pm with account inof and I will personally send it out!!!

I'm not opposed to mileage expiration after a certain period of inactivity. However, cutting the expiration time in half is a SUBSTANTIAL change which was not communicated effectively to members. At minimum they should have sent postcards to all of their members. If I recall correctly, I found out about it from an on-line posting. When an airline makes a SUBSTANTIAL change to their T&C's they should exude a bit more effort than just spamming their entire membership or burying the information on the website, and then blamimg the members when they claim not have been informed of the change.

It is NOT years and years, it's 18 months of inactivity. I do monitor my account, often daily and the customer does have some responsibility to monitor the program.

That being said the company IMO has the moral and ethical obligation to inform the customer of significant changes to the program. This customer COULD have thought the expiration was three years versus the now 18 months. Given US Airways recent history of IT woes I think the company doing what it did which was make a case by case exception was absolutely the right thing to do.
I understand the mile expiration and knew about it . But when it comes to Serious Changes they ought to Physically Mail them. How many E-Mails do we get from US that are junk or have no importance. It could easily be overlooked or discarded. My bank sends me e-mails, and I have paperless statements. But they send me in the Mail 1) Terms and Conditions, 2) Privacy Info. Sure I believe its the customers obligation to keep track of their account, but to some people that may be a not a high priority.