Dave needs to read this

Good article, thanks for posting the link.

You've got to ask yourself though: can the employees (both blue & white collar) effectively change the existing culture at the established carriers?

It is possible. A near-death experience to be sure, but possible. Just look at the steel industry (as mentioned in your linked article). Those former employees of LTV, Bethlehem, National and even U.S. Steel are now happily employed with incentive pay. A cultural change.

Is this possible at US & UA given the present circumstances?

No way.

TailSpin -

Excellent post! How can you motivate employees with negativity? It is time for Dave and all his Doom and Gloom messages to stop. It is time to start emphasizing the postiive, share our goals and focus, give us a glimpse of things to come and rebuild the employee morale. Start to build a bridge between management and labor that will help heal the wounds and rebuild trust. The return of the 5% was a great kick off, the executive meetings will help. Dave, your employees are waiting, not for the other shoe to drop, but to know where this plane ride is going.

----------------
On 8/8/2003 3:02:27 PM MarkMyWords wrote:

TailSpin -

Excellent post! How can you motivate employees with negativity? It is time for Dave and all his Doom and Gloom messages to stop. It is time to start emphasizing the postiive, share our goals and focus, give us a glimpse of things to come and rebuild the employee morale. Start to build a bridge between management and labor that will help heal the wounds and rebuild trust. The return of the 5% was a great kick off, the executive meetings will help. Dave, your employees are waiting, not for the other shoe to drop, but to know where this plane ride is going.

----------------​

Mark,

Exactly!

Been screaming this for the past two months. Management needs to stop with the doom and gloom. Stop the furloughs now. And STOP making labor feel guilty for getting their 5% back. Dave wrote out an CBS message that was so dondescending. Build trust by honoring contracts and respecting employees...starts frp, "top" to "bottom", not the other way arond.

We need to work together as a mean team, not mean to each other and be a "once again" soaring airline that everyone wants to work for and gets exceited over.

I hope it is possible even with this type of Labor Relations team. Dave needs to re look at who is running these departments. He once said at the road shows last summer and in his FIRST newsletter, that all employees will be treated with respect. And those heavy handed managers whould be taken out of those postions. So far, all he has done is promote them.

You've got to ask yourself though: can the employees (both blue & white collar) effectively change the existing culture at the established carriers?

I think it is possible as well. The solution is very simple. First of all, management must express hope for the future. Exceptional service alone can bring an increase in revenue. But the only way to take our service to the next level is to put the employees’ fears to rest. If you don't work in the big six stations(BOS,LGA,DCA,PIT,PHL,CLT) you fear everyday that your city might be the next one to close(SNA) or go Mainline Express(ABE). The stress alone puts a drag on your attitude and approach to the job and how you live. Everyday family decisions are based on what is going to happen to the company. If management could only give some forward looking information. Maybe state that over the next 3, 6,9,12 months that there will be no closings or downsizings. Instead of feeling possible joy over our route expansion, we all sit on pins and needles thinking that it is the jets from our city that they will use and we will close. The stress is overwhelming at times. It's like playing chess except our hands are tied and we are blindfolded.

We need incentives.

We must empower our customer service department to take care of the customer without rules, regulations or fear of repercussion. It worked in the early 90's, it can work now.

2.gif

MerlinMagician,
I do love your name!

Ah, the Medieval Days....Let the games Begin!

Oh, lost my head and why am I here? Let me see..?oh yes.

I think not that Dave will read or even cares one iota.

Bet his home in SXM sounds'peachy'right about now- wouldnt you say so?
Escape,Escape,Escape...

Time For Him TO LEAVE>

This company would DO much better...:)
3.gif

Taylor,

You are right...

True gage of "Excellence" is how well you perform in irregular situations when days are not normally running smooth. Whether it be Wx, mechanical, runway delays, etc., handling those situations for PAX is what will stay in thier minds and what they will pass along to others.

"What you think may go wrong; usually goes wrong".Good Customer care will always reveal itself in due time, and if an airline can't cut it; then down the "pooper" they go, along with their inefficient reputation.

Here's alittle story about JetBlue

last week with all the t-storms my supervisors family was
flying jetblue to jfk to the west coast....there flt was
2 hours late causing them to misconnex. jetblue agt told them and many pax to come back in 4 days....(imagime telling a U pax to come back in 4 days)...anyway this was unexceptable to my supvr so she asked to see the jetblue mgr
who refused to step out of she office....sup wanted invol/vol applied to unused portions of tkts...finally after hours of decussions jetblue gave in and gave these pax there invol refund. Supr then sold ow tkts on U which unfortunately was $600-700 dollars....Jetblue could care less...pax had to get home....
My take on jetblue is when everything is fine fly jetblue, when weather is added to the mix....ie...misconnex your in trouble cause they can't R120.20 to another major...how do you know when the weather is fine....fly'em and shoot the dice...
You'll see!!!!!!!!!!

----------------
On 8/9/2003 9:50:37 AM PITbull wrote:
True gage of "Excellence" is how well you perform in irregular situations when days are not normally running smooth. Whether it be Wx, mechanical, runway delays, etc., handling those situations for PAX is what will stay in thier minds and what they will pass along to others.

Thats all true, but the next time your customers go to buy a flight, past experiences will only matter if your fares are competitive.

>>It is time for Dave and all his Doom and Gloom messages to stop. It is time to start emphasizing the postiive, share our goals and focus, give us a glimpse of things to come and rebuild the employee morale.