Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
FROM awaCompass and theHub 22SEP05

Day 1 Celebrations

DAY 1 CELEBRATIONS PLANNED SYSTEMWIDE
Station Decorating Contests, Heritage Pin Distribution and Cookouts Scheduled

Day 1 is almost here. Next Tuesday, Sept. 27, marks the first day that America West and US Airways will operate as a merged company.

As employees already know, Day 1 may very well pose challenges as employees and passengers navigate changes brought on by the combined company. In some cities, that will mean checking in AWA passengers and US Airways passengers. In reservations, it will mean answering calls from both sets of customers. Up in the air, it means fielding merger-related questions from curious passengers. And in all areas, it means wondering what the future holds for us personally as we contemplate how our jobs are affected.

All of the answers won’t be available on Day 1 (we sound like a broken record, but it’s the truth). As we work through the challenges together, Day 1 will be met with some rewards. After all, there’s no reason why we all can’t have a little fun on the big day.

In work locations throughout the country, Day 1 celebrations will include:

**Ticket Counter Decorating Contest**

Station employees are invited to show their unique styles by giving their ticket counter some creative Day 1 decor. The theme? Merger Mania, of course! Think famous mergers of the past (could be between two people, two companies, or even something like the Brady Bunch when Mr. Brady merged his family with Mrs. Brady’s -- ok, we admit, we’re not very creative and we know you can come up with much better ideas than that!). Have fun; be creative -- Just keep in mind standards of good taste and functionality. In other words, keep it family friendly.

Stations are asked to send photos for entry into a contest for an incredible prize: an “Extreme Makeover†of that station’s break room. Think new furniture, refrigerator, microwave…the works.

We’ll award six Extreme Makeovers in all, in the following categories:

One for hubs and secondary hubs (CLT, LAS, PHL, PHX, PIT)

One Shuttle station (BOS, DCA, LGA)

All other stations; four Extreme Makeovers will be given in this category

Counters should be decorated on Tuesday, Sept. 27, and photos sent to [email protected] no later than noon (Eastern time) on Wednesday, Sept. 28, for judging.

**Hub Barbecues and Station Celebrations**

Join us for barbecues in all five Hub cities (CLT, LAS, PHL, PHX, PIT) and local events at headquarters and in other cities (check with your station manager for details). Details, such as times and specific locations, will be forthcoming through awaCompass and theHub. Flight crews are invited to join the BBQ fun between flights and other large work areas (maintenance, reservations, and support areas) will also plan their own celebrations.

**Heritage Logo Pins**

Finally, on Day 1, every employee will receive a Heritage logo lapel pin. The pins represent the combined airline’s history and are meant to remind us of our collective pasts as we work together towards our promising future. Station managers and department heads will have the pins for distribution.

Look for more details as Day 1 nears and plans are solidified for times and locations of the Day 1 barbecues. Also, get those creative minds working for your ticket counter, and check awaCompass and theHub on Sept. 27, as photos will be uploaded throughout the day. Winners will be announced on Monday, Oct. 3.

There is nothing more important than being a TEAM because as the acronym states, Together Everyone Accomplishes More. One of my favorite quotes comes from former NFL Green Bay Packer coach Vince Lombardi. Lombardi said, “Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team, a company work, a society work, and civilization work.â€￾

I applaud the new company’s day one efforts and I look forward to helping the new US Airways become the best team in the airline business.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I agree,

What a nice change!

USA320Pilot said:
There is nothing more important than being a TEAM because as the acronym states, Together Everyone Accomplishes More. One of my favorite quotes comes from former NFL Green Bay Packer coach Vince Lombardi. Lombardi said, “Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team, a company work, a society work, and civilization work.â€￾

I applaud the new company’s day one efforts and I look forward to helping the new US Airways become the best team in the airline business.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="304057"][/post]​

If Mr. Parker has spent much time at all in any USAirways station, he must be appalled.

With few exceptions most of the below level spaces that are inhabited by USAirways employees are pig stys. Most of the Men's Room walls, including the stalls, are covered with graffitti extolling the virtues of certain unions and their representatives. Hard to believe that grown men, some presumably professionals, would take the time and effort to deface the workplace. But it's true.

Check out PHL as the Crown Jewel of Grunge. Things are a bit better in the A Concourse. Maybe that's where they took Mr. Parker and kept him away from the B and C or especially the F Concourse so he had a positive impression of his new command.

Maybe working for a "new" company with some kind of future will inspire employees to take some pride in their work spaces. Never been in an AW facility but I hope they are not similarly disgusting.

With few exceptions most of the below level spaces that are inhabited by USAirways employees are pig stys. Most of the Men's Room walls, including the stalls, are covered with graffitti extolling the virtues of certain unions and their representatives. Hard to believe that grown men, some presumably professionals, would take the time and effort to deface the workplace. But it's true.

Check out PHL as the Crown Jewel of Grunge. Things are a bit better in the A Concourse. Maybe that's where they took Mr. Parker and kept him away from the B and C or especially the F Concourse so he had a positive impression of his new command.

Maybe working for a "new" company with some kind of future will inspire employees to take some pride in their work spaces. Never been in an AW facility but I hope they are not similarly disgusting.

Someone's always gotta ruin the fun.

I'll be flying with you guys on the 27th.... can't wait to see the positive side of the merger in person!

:D Request please!
Would you all sing a few rousing rounds of "Happy Days Are Here Again" as you enjoy the festivities on the 27th? Wishing US much $$$ success because you know how the trickle down theory works...
I'm wishing the very BEST to each and every one of you who have struggled in so many ways over the years. My sincere hope is that you continue your careers at US with no regrets, that you look forward to going to work each day, that you feel genuine happiness and pride once again. You'll be in my thoughts on Tuesday.

Now, put on those happy faces and sing along :rolleyes: :) :D

So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now

Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on
From now on ...

The skies above are clear again
So, Let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy times
Happy nights
Happy days
Are here again!

CapnCockroach said:
:( TWO GREAT AIRLINES - ONE GREAT FUTURE!!
[post="304168"][/post]​

Having been in STL the day the flight attendants of TWA realized whose great future it was going to be......

Severed-N-Happy said:
How much are "they" charging for the BBQ?
Certainly it can't be gratis.
;)
[post="304127"][/post]​
"they" are not charging "you" at all. The company is footing the bill. Why can't ppl understand that this is not the old U?

PineyBob said:
Well let's hope that for all of our friends on the line that you have to eat those words.

If you'll recall "Two Great Airlines, One Great Future" was the tag-line used by AA at the time of the TWA acquisition.

There won't be anything like that happening at US, didn't say there would be, so no words to eat.

This is a great future for the employees of both companies.

I used to fly America West when it was all coach and you got to ride the "Best Care Cart" down from Terminal 3 security to the "temporary" extension concourse, and when they had service from Omaha to both coasts.

The PHL "B" and "C" concourse is currently under renovation with new paint, wallpaper, new carpeting, the old gate check in stations removed, new signage, etc. The upgrade will be a major improvement.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts