DCA-SAN DCA-LAX DCA-SFO

If the goverment desieds to put aside this do you think US Airways will ever fly to the west coast? like DCA-SAN, DCA-LAX, DCA-SFO, or DCA-DEN
Sure, not DEN though. The Big 3 would jump in also, assuming the government allowed any and all to do it. They'd be tough markets.

It's unlikely that it would be lifted completely at first and that means United and Frontier would be all over DEN and United would likely add SFO as well. For US, I would expect PHX and possibly SAN or LAS.

It's unlikely that it would be lifted completely at first and that means United and Frontier would be all over DEN and United would likely add SFO as well. For US, I would expect PHX and possibly SAN or LAS.

What the Heck are You Talking about ?????

CURRENTLY, USAirways Flies THREE Round Trips Daily between DCA-PHX and ONE Round Trip Daily between DCA-LAS

What the Heck are You Talking about ?????

CURRENTLY, USAirways Flies THREE Round Trips Daily between DCA-PHX and ONE Round Trip Daily between DCA-LAS
I know. Operating under the expectation that a limited number of exceptions would be granted, I think it's more likely that they add capacity to those markets to prevent competition. I could see expansion into other markets, but only after they do as much as possible to make it unlikely anyone would challenge them on those routes.

Before the merger US did put in a bid for DCA SFO and DCA SJU. They were both knocked down. This was at a time when they were adding a few more exemption slots.

US did for a while run IAD SJU. Not sure why they quit that because I heard it used to do well when they did run it.

A lot of this depends on how exactly such a change would be structured. Would this be just a lifting of the restrictions on existing slots or would new slots be granted? I suspect it would be the former, due to capacity issues, and as a result all airlines would have to decide which 1250+ routes would best serve their needs. US would likely not add more DCA-PHX but would try destinations like LAX, SJU, etc. UA would certainly shift some slots from ORD to LAX and SFO. Etc. You might also see both DL and US shift some mainline slots used for the Shuttles to instead serve some of the longer routes.

A lot of this depends on how exactly such a change would be structured. Would this be just a lifting of the restrictions on existing slots or would new slots be granted? I suspect it would be the former, due to capacity issues, and as a result all airlines would have to decide which 1250+ routes would best serve their needs. US would likely not add more DCA-PHX but would try destinations like LAX, SJU, etc. UA would certainly shift some slots from ORD to LAX and SFO. Etc. You might also see both DL and US shift some mainline slots used for the Shuttles to instead serve some of the longer routes.

I would like to see them add SAN to the mix. I think it would be a sort of relief dest. for PHL which gets restricted all

the time. US could pickup the mail contract for tha area and make some xtra $$.

USAirways being the airport's largest carrier and if the government issues "beyond-perimeter slot exemptions" again issuing them to USAirways is a long shot unless DP can work another deal with McCain

USAirways being the airport's largest carrier and if the government issues "beyond-perimeter slot exemptions" again issuing them to USAirways is a long shot unless DP can work another deal with McCain

The plan being discussed now is not an "exemption" plan. The plan is to remove the perimeter altogether, which would the negate the need for special slot exemptions. If the perimeter is removed, then airlines would be free to fly anywhere in the U.S. or to any international destination that offers Customs pre-clearance using existing slots. For example, US would be able to stop flying mainline DCA-MCO and instead use those slots to fly DCA-LAX. (Only using MCO as an example here.)

The plan being discussed now is not an "exemption" plan. The plan is to remove the perimeter altogether, which would the negate the need for special slot exemptions. If the perimeter is removed, then airlines would be free to fly anywhere in the U.S. or to any international destination that offers Customs pre-clearance using existing slots. For example, US would be able to stop flying mainline DCA-MCO and instead use those slots to fly DCA-LAX. (Only using MCO as an example here.)
In 1999 McCain introduced legislation to remove the 1250-mile perimeter restriction and fail. It takes an act of congress. There is a lot of resistances

The most recent articles I've seen were about changing a limited number of slots into unrestricted slots. It's much more likely to succeed than a total repeal of the perimeter regulations.