Dealing with United Reservations

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
If there are any United employees on this forum (I rarely see any of you post), please be aware that you have a problem with your reservations people.

I am flying on United to EWR tomorrow. I had 200,000 Continental OnePass miles from a previous life that United informed me were going to expire in about a year. (OnePass miles did not expire, and I was saving them for a trip to Hong Kong on the Continental non-stop from EWR.) So, since they were now in danger of expiring I decided to use some of them to fly to New York as I was going anyways, and non-revving to LGA (I'm an AA flight attendant)is always problematic.

When I checked in this morning on the computer, I asked that the boarding pass be sent to my phone. When the email arrived the link to the boarding pass was not a "hot link", it was simply the text version of the URL. As it had over 100 characters in it, I had no intention of writing it down and then entering it into my web app manually.

I called reservations and got an agent with an almost impossible to understand Asian accent. I tried explaining the situation to her and we were not communicating. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Her response (exact words), "No talk Supervisor. I helping you." She told me that I had given her the wrong confirmation code. When I said "A", she interpreted it as "8". She later put me on hold without telling me that's what she was doing, and I thought she had hung up on me. She then told me to wait 5 minutes and another boarding pass email would be sent. 5 minutes? With a computer? I spent 21 years in the computer business. It should take about 5 seconds to resend that short an email.

When the second one arrived, the link was once again just a text copy of the URL.
I decided I would just wait until tomorrow and show the emails on my phone to an agent or supervisor at DFW. That maybe they could explain to someone what the problem is.

Now, as I knew I could always get a new boarding pass at DFW, I wasn't concerned, but from a customer service standpoint, it can not be good for United if your regular passengers are getting this kind of response from reservations.

P.S. I also received an email on my computer at home with the link in it. Interestingly the link worked on my computer...took me straight to the boarding pass. So, just for grins, I forwarded that email to myself. It downloaded to my phone email, and the URL was in a "hot link" format which worked!!!??? There is a programming issue to be addressed.