Defend Recall Rights, Defend Our Careers

justanadd

Advanced
Jan 20, 2003
On September 8, 2006, please join former TWA flight attendants as they picket the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) to urge them to negotiate an extension of their recall rights at American Airlines. Despite promises of equitable seniority integration when TWA was acquired by American Airlines, the TWA FAs were placed at the bottom of the seniority list and were ultimately furloughed. Their recall rights will begin to expire this October and the last of these flight attendants will be eliminated by July 2008. The airline will then be able to hire new FAs at lower wages. Defending our recall rights is an integral part of defending our profession. Without them, companies will continue to erode our profession into just another short-term job.

Please stand with our TWA/American Airlines flying partners on September 8, 2006, from 8 am - 5:30 pm at APFA Headquarters (approx. 10 minutes from DFW), 1004 W. Euless Blvd., Euless, TX 76040. For more information, contact Roger Graham at [email protected].

Sign some authorization cards to change unions.

Submit them to the NMB for an election and everyone will instantly have lifetime recall rights. Even the deceased. You wont get an election but you will all get lifetime recall to prove you do not have enough cards for one.

On September 8, 2006, please join former TWA flight attendants as they picket the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) to urge them to negotiate an extension of their recall rights at American Airlines. Despite promises of equitable seniority integration when TWA was acquired by American Airlines, the TWA FAs were placed at the bottom of the seniority list and were ultimately furloughed. Their recall rights will begin to expire this October and the last of these flight attendants will be eliminated by July 2008. The airline will then be able to hire new FAs at lower wages. Defending our recall rights is an integral part of defending our profession. Without them, companies will continue to erode our profession into just another short-term job.

Please stand with our TWA/American Airlines flying partners on September 8, 2006, from 8 am - 5:30 pm at APFA Headquarters (approx. 10 minutes from DFW), 1004 W. Euless Blvd., Euless, TX 76040. For more information, contact Roger Graham at [email protected].

What is sadly missed in this eloquent plea is the fact that over 1000 AA f/as will lose their recall rights. This is not a former TWA issue. 6000 AA f/as were furloughed. If it was due to the 9-11 events, special consideration should be offered just as special considerations were offered to the Company. Since 2001, we have ALL been AA f/as. As long as the APFA continues to separate us in their messages, there will be no ownership or sense of responsibility for the loss of airline careers, some as long as 50 years. Of course there is a good chance that many will not return, but due to the nature of the alleged reason for the furlough, there should be an extension equal to the other work groups on the property. What is equally sad is the fact that an alternate concession package was formulated,( that met the requested dollar amount), saved most jobs, and for some unknown reason was not considered by the APFA. (nor presented to the Co)

I think all of the former TWA flight attendants should just give it up. You are not going to be recalled and the company just gave out 3 month PLOA's because we have to many f/a's. They give out Bid Leaves every month and this is another sign we have to many flight attendants. The operation is shriking for a reason and it not to hard to figure out why.

It's time to move forward and do something else with your lives.

<_< ----- And you would give the same advice to the 1,000 nAAtive F/A's furloughed as well? As mentioned above, this is not only a exTWA thing!!! :down:---- You people are pathetic!!!

All furloughees!! No, all you ex-TWA people are pathetic. You think AA owes you the world. Maybe if your old contracts had seniority protection in the event of an acquisition or merger, you would be in better shape. The flight attendants didn't have it! Blame the IAM for screwing you! The APFA contract in Article 1 protects our seniority in the event of an acquisition or merger. That's exactly what it did :up: .

Do you ever have anything nice to say? As a long time labor activist I find your lack of compassion very sad. Trust me when I say that most have either gone on to other careers and are doing well BUT for some strange reason would return to fly even though it would mean being on the bottom of the seniority list. Every one of the active f/as should be walking side by side with your fellow AMERICAN furloughed f/as. The quality of flying life would be greatly enhanced by the return of 3000 people below you.Less reserve, less extended trips, and the opportunity to fly with some terrific f/as. I question if you would be so free with your comments if you had been furloughed having spent 30 years flying and were lets say one week or one month shy of your 50th birthday when the furlough occurred. And no, don't get your panties in a bunch, we don't get "your" retirement, we get one years accrual or approximately $90 a month. I guess some would like the choice of when they walk away. For once in my life I am happy I was able to retire. At least it was MY choice.

As good as it may feel to picket APFA HDQ-it will do nothing to aid in extending recall rights. The company has dug in hard and has made it clear it will not budge off 5 years. You can not fully blame APFA for the misfortunate state of the industry. The TW/IAM agreement sold you out to the ugly reality of AA post 9/11.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='412057' date='Sep 2 2006, 10:05 PM']All furloughees!! No, all you ex-TWA people are pathetic. You think AA owes you the world. Maybe if your old contracts had seniority protection in the event of an acquisition or merger, you would be in better shape. The flight attendants didn't have it! Blame the IAM for screwing you! The APFA contract in Article 1 protects our seniority in the event of an acquisition or merger. That's exactly what it did :up: .[/quote]

Are you even aware that there are 1000 nAAtive f/as in the same boat? Giving up SCOPE was a condition of the the sale/purchase because AA told the Court we had to "mirror" your contract. Of course the fact that your current SCOPE now "mirrors" our former provision makes it somewhat suspect when it comes to the ethics of AAs testimony in Court. Unfortunately, the IAM never put it to a vote of our membership because their Constitution and By-Laws allow the Grand Pupaws (big daddies) to over ride any vote if they feel it is the "best interest" of the whole. As for AA owing us the "world", no, just the employment they promised in Court and in front of the anti trust Congressional hearings. Why are you so angry that we are asking for fair representation from the union that asked for the representation rights. We could have stayed separate entities like USAIR and HP. But then you all would have been yelling because of the deeper furloughs on your side of the fence. There is not a win win on either side. Please know your facts before you make such outrageous comments. We had a wonderful SCOPE provision and that is exactly why AA said either give 'em up or we'll take them and everything else in the bogus BK. Personally, I would have said "I'll take my chance in front of the Court". At least I would have had some voice. And I guess you really don't understand how having possible 3000 junior to you would positively impact your job. Any one who wants to return is aware that they will be on the bottom if recalled. (unless by some quirk of fate STL would need bodies) Why is the prospect of having your flying life made a little better such a threat? If you think that there will be problems mixing our crews, you greatly underestimate the professionalism of the furloughed f/as. Many of them weathered coming back after 2-3 years of being on strike and locked out to having to fly with the very people who replaced them. All problems were kept off the planes and our customer service ratings with up in direct proportion to the amt. recalled. Besides, if anyone would return it is because they really want to be there. (which is why I'm happily working in social services) Chill, life is too short.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='412057' date='Sep 2 2006, 08:05 PM']All furloughees!! No, all you ex-TWA people are pathetic. You think AA owes you the world. Maybe if your old contracts had seniority protection in the event of an acquisition or merger, you would be in better shape. The flight attendants didn't have it! Blame the IAM for screwing you! The APFA contract in Article 1 protects our seniority in the event of an acquisition or merger. That's exactly what it did :up: .[/quote]

Nor'Easta - you are pathetic - It is obvious you are insecure and childish by your remarks, and it is sad for you to wish ill will on any aviation professional.. You are a shining example of nAAtive - you and many others disgust me and many other peolpe in the industry. Hopw\e you never need support from another airline in anything you do ... because I have a feeling the support wont be there. Just so you know the AFA extendent recall rights to an indefinite status meaning the company cannot hire anyone until all furloughees is recalled no matter if it is 5, 8, or 20 years and you maintain free SA travel benefits. AA sucks basically, and who wants to fly around on a super 80 everyday anyway.. You are better than the nor'easta type TWAers...

Nor'Easta - you are pathetic - It is obvious you are insecure and childish by your remarks, and it is sad for you to wish ill will on any aviation professional.. You are a shining example of nAAtive - you and many others disgust me and many other peolpe in the industry. Hopw\e you never need support from another airline in anything you do ... because I have a feeling the support wont be there. Just so you know the AFA extendent recall rights to an indefinite status meaning the company cannot hire anyone until all furloughees is recalled no matter if it is 5, 8, or 20 years and you maintain free SA travel benefits. AA sucks basically, and who wants to fly around on a super 80 everyday anyway.. You are better than the nor'easta type TWAers...

I would like to see everyone back. But when AA is reducing the flying and offering 3 month PLOA's, what does that tell you? It says clearly thay don't intend to recall anymore flight attendants. I would like to see people back because then we can expand and hire off the street.

With the attitude you show above...

That's why we are tired of hearing you b**ch and complain. That's why AA does not want the TWA people back. You're wrong about AA not being able to hire before all of the furloughs are up. They can start training and have new hires graduate 1 day after the furloughs are up. You're not an employee of AA until you graduate from new hire training.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='412225' date='Sep 3 2006, 05:25 PM']I would like to see everyone back. But when AA is reducing the flying and offering 3 month PLOA's, what does that tell you? It says clearly thay don't intend to recall anymore flight attendants. I would like to see people back because then we can expand and hire off the street.

With the attitude you show above...

That's why we are tired of hearing you b**ch and complain. That's why AA does not want the TWA people back. You're wrong about AA not being able to hire before all of the furloughs are up. They can start training and have new hires graduate 1 day after the furloughs are up. You're not an employee of AA until you graduate from new hire training.[/quote]

The above post is not from a former TWA f/a, just someone who wants to support us. Once again, this not just about TWA but the 1000+ nAAtives also in possible job jeopardy.If AA dared to start training new hires before recall rights expired you would see lawsuits filed so fast that even AA might take notice. Unethical behavior is one thing, lying in front of a Congressional hearing is another. If you don't think that contrived "needs" to avoid a recall is not a major ethics issue then you and I will have to agree to disagree. Just because the bulk of AA f/as are passive and choose not to vote or be contract knowledgeable or care what their union is giving away, don't bash those that are asking for some iota of accountability.

Nor'Easta - what has always helped me in a situation like this is - - - I think about what i would like to be treated like in that exact same situation... I also would put my child in that situation and see if i would like them treated as such. That helps me when i have a decision to make about people. I would never want myself or my child to be let go from a company due to many years and something out of their control caused them to lose their job. Also, you need to think about karma;- it sometimes can be verrryyy harsh. i.e. - the folks at USAir gave people from the trump shuttle (when they were purchased by USAir) their Eastern Airlines seniority - it was a struggle but they got it. Also, we have done everything Date of Hire because that is what we would want in any unfortunate situation due to corporate greed and other shining examples of downfalls out of our control. We have been through many mergers/acq. and we have always done DOH... Be very careful in what you wish on other people because you know as well as i do that AA would hire new hires the day the furloughees were gone - but in the same breath you are saying they are offerin leaves. doesnt make sense to me.

I'm on an afternoon shift that day, are ya'll gonna make it that long? This past week excluded, it's been pretty da*n hot down here this summer. I'm curious to see the actual turnout.

As a VERY REGULAR poster here on this AA board, I'm ashamed of how APFA has treated you TWA folks !!!

At the VERY LEAST, APFA could have told AA that they would FIGHT for lifetime recall rights !!
(It would'nt have $$ cost APFA a DIME) !!

History will prove that I argued STRONGLY for the LLC F/A's to get a "ratio", like the AMT's/Pilots, and FSC's got !1

When the "Final day" comes, WALK TALL TWA F/A's, you are a class group !!!

NH/BB's