[deleted By Moderator]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is meant to be tongue-cheek.

And I could sleep more comfortably at night if this above article WAS true. As I work for a Legacy carrier.

What in fact is true, is that many pilots and other professionals from the Legacy carriers who are either being laid off or jumping ship and showing up at the various LCC's.

Showing up w/ all of the training, wisdom, and knowledge that they inherited from working at the dying Legacy carriers.

The initial batch of jetblue or Airtran guys may have been from non-LEGACY airlines, but the tide has shifted.

The rank-file of the LCC's is starting to look a lot like a Legacy carrier refugee camp.

The question to ask is, would a refugee help burn down the old country from which they came. Maybe...

I think you're both making the unwarranted assumption that legacy carriers are the only bastion of competence. By that measure, you also have to assume that every new hire at the legacy carriers is incompetent, since they don't yet have the benefit of the legacy training program! Airline training is for the purpose of aircraft and company SOP familiarization. It doesn't impart "competence", which is a quality earned through many years of experience. Even the early "non-legacy" pilots at carriers like JetBlue had many, many years of transport aircraft flying. They just weren't lucky enough to stay with the same carrier for their whole career and were forced to drift. That doesn't make their experience any less valuable than a two-year furloughee's. In fact, who would you rather hire if you were starting an airline?

That said, the point that JetBlue, Airtran, etc. are being increasingly populated with other airline's pilots is well-taken. I'm sure they're very welcome. Still, it would probably be best for all concerned to continue to hire from all the traditional sources: corporate, regional, military, cargo, etc. in addition to legacy carrier furloughees.

Status
Not open for further replies.