Delle's "gut The Pension" Statement Corrected

Decision 2004

Veteran
Mar 12, 2004
TRUTH PREVAILS AGAIN....

July 8, 2004

Dear AMFA members and supporters:

Reference is made to the NYT article dated July 2, 2004. I have asked them to retract or make corrections to their article concerning some of my quotes. They have refused but they have submitted the letter to me which is below for your reading.

AMFA has a proud history of no concessions and we have been consistent since 1964. In 1983 all of the industrial unions gave the airlines concessions. Ozark Airlines had asked AMFA for the same concessions. The membership voted not to discuss concessions - that was the end of concessions. In 1986 Ozark Airlines merged with TWA and our members inherited an inferior IAM contract.

In 2002-03 NWA asked for concessions and our members refused, thus there were no talks to negotiate concessions on that carrier. AMFA members are the only ones that can authorize AMFA to discuss concessions.

No AMFA officer can unilaterally discuss any changes in the contract without membership approval. Our history proves that this is true - something that the industrial unions cannot prove.

I apologize that the article has caused panic and discontent. Because of the Fourth of July holiday it has taken five days for me to answer the many questions plus the fact that I was waiting for their statement. I thank you for your patience and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,
/s/ O. V. Delle-Femine
National Director

Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 3:19 PM

Mr. Delle-Femine:

Here's a copy of the recent article about United Airlines' pension funds. It's really very clear from my notes that when you spoke out about the pension funds, you were not in any way advocating that they be "gutted," but rather, giving a realistic appraisal of what could happen next, and how the unions might respond.

I should think that anyone concerned about their pension would appreciate your candor. If people would just take a few minutes and read the article to the end, they'd see that you are also thinking about possible joint action, and about the opportunity you and the others will have to test United's pension proposals in court.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would, in good faith, construe these remarks as an advocacy of givebacks. My notes (and, I thought, the story) make it clear that that wasn't what you were talking about.

Please let me know if we ought to discuss things further.

Mary Walsh
The New York Times
212-556-4271

I find it hard to believe that anyone would, in good faith, construe these remarks as an advocacy of givebacks. My notes (and, I thought, the story) make it clear that that wasn't what you were talking about.

In Good Faith........something the twu knows nothing about!!

Keep the Faith....AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!

Looks like the TWU supporters have once again not only come up empty handed in an attempt to sully AMFA but have egg on their face to boot.

Dont be suprised if they avoid this thread too. Truth to the TWU is like Garlic to a vampire, to be avoided at all costs.

Bob Owens said:
Looks like the TWU supporters have once again not only come up empty handed in an attempt to sully AMFA but have egg on their face to boot.
Yea Bob, I guess we came up empty handed. By the way, when is that election being scheduled?

I really like how a guy named Dave Stewart starts a topic with "truth prevails" and then adds script with Delle's name attached, must be gospel.....HAHAHA!

Bravo Decision 2004, As I read the letter from Mary Walsh she made no attempt to edit the statements of Delle, only an attempt to "Sugar-coat" what was said. With her analogy of Delle's statements as a "Realistic Appraisal". He may have been better served by using one of his own better known statments....Such as....

........."The Proof is in the Pudding".......To better describe what is to be expected in bankruptcy ....!!!!!!!

---------------------------
AMFA: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO....!

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
The only thing DELLE-FEMINE and AMFA supporters want to "GUT" is the EVIL TWU!
Not according to your fearless leader...BTW..do you fantasize a lot?

High Speed Steel said:
Bravo Decision 2004, As I read the letter from Mary Walsh she made no attempt to edit the statements of Delle, only an attempt to "Sugar-coat" what was said. With her analogy of Delle's statements as a "Realistic Appraisal". He may have been better served by using one of his own better known statments....Such as....

........."The Proof is in the Pudding".......To better describe what is to be expected in bankruptcy ....!!!!!!!

---------------------------
AMFA: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO....!
Would you prefer the typical TWU statement "They can do that"?

Delle Said!

"AMFA has a proud history of no concessions and we have been consistent since 1964."

Sanderson Amfa spoke person;
"I agree that the AMFA negotiated medical premiums for UAL retirees is clearly a concession. - TM Can you believe that TM agrees that AMFA negotiated concessions? It's a fact!"

This is all that needs to be said, The comment was made and the NYT says it all:

Reference is made to the NYT article dated July 2, 2004. I have asked them to retract or make corrections to their article concerning some of my quotes. They have refused but they have submitted the letter to me which is below for your reading.

Checking it Out said:
Delle Said!

"AMFA has a proud history of no concessions and we have been consistent since 1964."

Sanderson Amfa spoke person;
"I agree that the AMFA negotiated medical premiums for UAL retirees is clearly a concession. - TM Can you believe that TM agrees that AMFA negotiated concessions? It's a fact!"

This is all that needs to be said, The comment was made and the NYT says it all:

And what would have been AMFAs reply in BK court when UAL revealed that employees at American Airlines have been prefunding their retiree benifits for over 15 years?

AA never even went BK, we gave back more with the TWU than other carriers did in BK. Our Concessions are forcing other workers to take more concessions to catch up with us in a race to the bottom.

Bob Owens said:
Would you prefer the typical TWU statement "They can do that"?
You know Bobby that is what amfa is telling the 50% of thier members that are laid0ff at Northwest Airlines, and more of thier members well be hearing it very soon.

James T. Kirk said:
You know Bobby that is what amfa is telling the 50% of thier members that are laid0ff at Northwest Airlines, and more of thier members well be hearing it very soon.
Well captain, while your hiding behind your alias, tell us when any of our 3000 laidoff twu members are getting a recall to full mechanic? Never you say?

150 NWA mechanics have come back with full back pay, because AMFA fought for them. Many more will hopefully return. While here at AA, the best we can hope for is a few OSM's to be recalled, some of whom were laid off as full mechanics.

More layoffs or concessions at AA this fall. The industry leading twu concessions were not enough. Will little jimmy agree to more? That's and easy one, "without further ratification".

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

James T. Kirk said:
Not so, AMFA filed grievances against the layoffs and recently just won one of them. The TWU also filed a grievance against the Force Majeure, however everyone knows they are hoping everyone just forgets about it.

At the 2001 Convention I asked Little about the Force majeure grievance and he said "Sure we will win the grievance but we will bankrupt the company".

That was in October of 2001, did the company and the TWU already talk about using BK to screw us over? Why was Little throwing out bankruptcy all the way back then?