Delta adds a new ridiculous fee for passengers

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Delta adds $5 to fee for bags checked at airport

Delta Air Lines has added a $5 surcharge for paying checked baggage fees at the airport instead of online, matching moves by some other airlines.

Atlanta-based Delta already charges $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second checked bag on domestic flights.

But starting Aug. 4, Delta will start charging those who pay for checked bags at airport ticket counters, kiosks and curbs $20 for the first checked bag and $30 for the second checked bag, for tickets purchased July 15 or later.

The airline is already charging someone to check a bag, now unless you tell us before you arrive at the airport, there is an additional charge. Come on already.

I am thinking of taking a laptop to the airport, charging one dollar for anyone checking a bag who didnt notify the airline prior to checking in.

You're looking at it backwards. The fee for checking a bag is now $20/$30 and they are giving discounts to anyone who checks it online when they check in. The charge is no longer $15/25 with an "extra" fee added. Have to get the thought process switched around.

Also with some of the fares I've been seeing recently (in the right markets), even $20 for a bag with the ticket price is cheap. Had a family of 6 the other day TPA-MCI $49 each plus $20 for a bag (because they didnt check in online) total $69 one way.
TPA-SAN $110 plus $20 for a bag total $130 one way.
I really dont think people understand that in many markets today, its cheaper to fly (even with the bag fee if you have to check a bag) than it was 20-30 years ago.

Delta adds $5 to fee for bags checked at airport

Delta Air Lines has added a $5 surcharge for paying checked baggage fees at the airport instead of online, matching moves by some other airlines.

Atlanta-based Delta already charges $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second checked bag on domestic flights.

But starting Aug. 4, Delta will start charging those who pay for checked bags at airport ticket counters, kiosks and curbs $20 for the first checked bag and $30 for the second checked bag, for tickets purchased July 15 or later.

The airline is already charging someone to check a bag, now unless you tell us before you arrive at the airport, there is an additional charge. Come on already.

I am thinking of taking a laptop to the airport, charging one dollar for anyone checking a bag who didnt notify the airline prior to checking in.

fees should be brought to someone attention prior to the ticket purchase. as long as people are made aware.. they then can consider should they purchase a ticket or not.

it appears.. its all about choices....and the way I sort of look at it, additional services separate from the fare should have a fee, it would seem it actually costs money to process a bag, meals ext.. and if the ticket price does not cover it.. then yes someone should pay for that if they want low or competitive prices... same with meals served in the past...(I do not believe catering brought meals and beverages to the airplane for free)

but I personally would like to see complimentary hot meal services in coach served at meal times...on domestic flights over 3 1/2 hours, I believe that is the right thing to do.

but then again, meals are available for those who opt to purchase them..including in the terminals.

to me, this is all basically a result of deregulation, and that is what everyone seemed to have wanted. maybe regulating ticket prices was necessary in the first place (then the airlines could have been competing with each other regarding amenities and complimentary services.. as the ticket prices actually reflected what it really costs to fly someone across the country in a few hours) but the industry was deregulated for competition and LCC popped up all over the place, bankruptcies left and right during the whole time and it seems the industry has been in a steady decline ever since..and this is what we have today, so there you go..

(decisions made in the past can sometimes have long term consequences or another generation will have to deal with..)

the original post said it was a matching move of other airlines, out of curiosity who were the other airlines?

I like that I can fly on SWA and my bags fly for free.
I am pretty sure they charge when it gets to the third bag for around 50 dollars? somewhere I recall it can go as high as 100 dollars once it gets to a certain point.. if they let everyone bring unlimited amount of luggage with them minus any fees at all.. they would end up being in the business of hauling cargo for free..

I love the memo Gil West put out regarding this:

Excerpt:

"Your Frontline Involvement Team (FIT) shared with the ACS leadership team that the $15 and $25 fees were causing some frustration when it came to making change when customers paid in cash..."

Excellent reasoning, Delta. Well done. :rolleyes:

in order to break a bill or make change there are a few items that one will need.

A cash drawer....

$20 dollar bills including

$1 $5 and $10 dollars bills....

if that doesn't work install an ATM or bill breaker at the end of the counter..that dispenses in $5 dollar increments and dont forget to add the fee.

I love the memo Gil West put out regarding this:

Excerpt:

"Your Frontline Involvement Team (FIT) shared with the ACS leadership team that the $15 and $25 fees were causing some frustration when it came to making change when customers paid in cash..."

Excellent reasoning, Delta. Well done. :rolleyes:

Well, from a front liner- it does make it a lot easier not having to deal with $5 in change for every transaction. :up: Although, it is easily remedied by getting several hundred dollars in $5s when you go to the bank. Many of our $100 cash banks had $75-100 in 5's.

I fail to see why this is ridiculous if it generates much needed revenue. If customers are offended, they are free to book away.

Free market. Pretty simple.

Free to book away and pretty simple is right!
But why would an airline want to lose customers for $5.00 if like you say it's much needed revenue?

I am pretty sure they charge when it gets to the third bag for around 50 dollars? somewhere I recall it can go as high as 100 dollars once it gets to a certain point.. if they let everyone bring unlimited amount of luggage with them minus any fees at all.. they would end up being in the business of hauling cargo for free..

They charge for a third bag? Who needs a third bag? I usually only check one but it's nice to know I can take two and not be charged.

They charge for a third bag? Who needs a third bag? I usually only check one but it's nice to know I can take two and not be charged.
you said bags, not bag.

bags implies more than one and without specific clarification can mean unlimited!

(and that is what I was touching base on regarding more than one, two up to who knows what!)

so!

I do not think they allow unlimited bags free of charge was the point!

unlimited and free...

well!

if that was the case, people would drive up in a pickup with a $49 dollar fare and half their house!

(and they sure arent turning those planes in 30 minutes doing that!)

know what im saying?

Latest posts