Delta Airlines Walkthrough for Employment

Jan 28, 2012
LAX
So, I posted on the boards how I have been looking for employment in the aviation industry, that I wanted to start from the bottom in an entry level position. To get my foot in the door as well as to learn the ins and outs. I have been persistently applying and checking the airline job website boards and other boards as well. I applied for a Baggage Handler at Delta airlines and recieved a call yesterday, then I had a phone interview this morning, then they called me back again to say that my application has been processed and sent over to the human resources department to view tomorrow, what can I expect to happen next? I am really hoping to get the job, also the position is ready reserver, in the meantime I am still applying and checking all job leads for other airlines. Thanks to all in advance, who can offer me any insight.

Some info: Ready Reserves can work between 300-1300 hours annually. Once you hit that mark, you're done for the year. There is no guarantee you'll be brought back, though most are. There are no benefits except flying. There are also no raises (though the rate will supposedly be increasing this July). Once you have been in the job for awhile, you can put in for other jobs (I think it's 1 year, but am not sure?).

At DL, there's no such thing as FT or PT per se. You're either a benefitted employee or a ready reserve, so the hours you work won't matter as far as looking for another position.

One last thing: Somewhere on your application, you checked a box saying you were willing to work any shift/nights/weekends/holidays/etc. If for some reason you're unwilling/unable to do so, please withdraw from consideration.

Some info: Ready Reserves can work between 300-1300 hours annually. Once you hit that mark, you're done for the year. There is no guarantee you'll be brought back, though most are. There are no benefits except flying. There are also no raises (though the rate will supposedly be increasing this July). Once you have been in the job for awhile, you can put in for other jobs (I think it's 1 year, but am not sure?).

At DL, there's no such thing as FT or PT per se. You're either a benefitted employee or a ready reserve, so the hours you work won't matter as far as looking for another position.

One last thing: Somewhere on your application, you checked a box saying you were willing to work any shift/nights/weekends/holidays/etc. If for some reason you're unwilling/unable to do so, please withdraw from consideration.
Just to add onto what Kev. said with my some what limited ramp know abouts.
If your looking at ATL most RRs get offered a mainline slot after about a year. The turn over and need for warm bodies is so large here that its pretty easy to get to mainline. (Ok RR is mainline, but i mean mainline benefits) If your in a small station then its going to be hard to get to mainline.

as for with in company xfers you can do anything you want (as far as I know) as long as you qualify, so if you want to come over to TechOps(which is always a good thing if your junior to me) you can as long as you qualify.

you get to keep your company time for somethings and somethings you don't. if you go from ACS to IFS then you will use your DOH for Vacation amounts and your dept. date of change for bidding. So your keep your benefits regardless of what you do but once you change dept. you start at the bottom for bidding shifts and time off. (as far as i know. I have never done a move.)

anyways, good luck. It isn't bad.....but it is an airline. B)

Ps don't let them blow smoke up your butt on the flight bens. They are good, but with so much less capacity in the market post 9/11 it isn't as easy to non-rev. Don't expect F at all on domestic legs, just be thankful your on the plane.....even if it is 38A on a M88. :lol:

I grew up a Delta Brat and also love airplanes! I followed in my fathers footsteps and became an aviation mechanic and have worked for AA for the past 23 years.. My suggestion to you is get a degree in something and if you land at an airline great, but do not think an entry level job at any airline will be a lucrative career without a degree...

You will have a better family life outside of this industry just for the simple fact that you will possibly have weekends and holidays off not to mention a steady shift to work...

Best Of Luck!!

I grew up a Delta Brat and also love airplanes! I followed in my fathers footsteps and became an aviation mechanic and have worked for AA for the past 23 years.. My suggestion to you is get a degree in something and if you land at an airline great, but do not think an entry level job at any airline will be a lucrative career without a degree...

You will have a better family life outside of this industry just for the simple fact that you will possibly have weekends and holidays off not to mention a steady shift to work...

Best Of Luck!!
This. Life sucks for a family person if you don't have time. Weekends, thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays....yeah don't expect to get any of that for a while.

For a single person its not bad, get to travel fairly easy when your off and gives a chance to see the world.